Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark
Arc 3 - Glimmers in the Dark (Main Roleplay) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 99 100 101 102 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:45 pm
The Demi Hideout aka "Fort Rebirth"
User Image

After being teleported by Fumiyo from the forests outside Gladesdale, the party spent the next several days recovering from the arduous battle in an abandoned castle deep in an unknown forest, a place the Demis had dubbed Fort Rebirth. The exact location of the fort was kept a secret, but it seemed it was in a location quite far away from the Aria kingdom, perhaps even in the lands Fumiyo hailed from. The Demis were in the process of cleaning the place up and establishing it as their new home. Though much progress had been made, great swaths of the Fort still lay claimed by nature.

While the party nursed their wounds, Fumiyo acquired fresh supplies and several new magical items for the party as thanks for their assistance and potentially saving their lives. One was left to wonder how she was able to acquire such powerful magic items in such a short time, but some questions were better left unasked.

Petra and Arthur immediately began to make up for four years of separation and set up a room for themselves on the far end of the fort. They would check in on the party each day to see how they were recovering. Arthur used his military training to help stand watch and train the less combat-oriented Demis in self defense. Petra did her best to help with odd jobs around the fort.

The Gladesdale guardsman and their families were temporarily located to the fort until Fumiyo could find a safe new home for them to begin their lives anew. The thief tried to run away on his first day at the fort, but was quickly caught. Apparently Fumiyo had some words with him out in the forest because he never attempted to escape again after that.

Abby never left Revenge's side while he recovered and talked to him of setting up a new shop in a nearby town, though it lay several miles away from the castle. Despite her transformation, Abby was still every bit the merchant she was when Revenge married her. Setting the chaos of Gladesdale behind them, they were able to finally enjoy some quality time together.

Twyla immediately began to research the "SoulCleanser" with Ramona. Though the half fire elemental found the gnome annoying at first, her antics quickly grew on her and the two became friends.

IIlya helped nurse Ruin back to health, all the time continuing to take lessons from her old mentor. She spoke often to him of the new adventurers that had come to reside in the fort's halls and hoped he could help them find the goliath's lost family. She wanted to go herself but she knew her wanted status and bizarre insectoid appearance would attract more attention than wanted.

Once recovered, Valac began to train with the more combat oriented Demis. While Ying and Corsica were more than a match the tiefling quickly found his equal in the half blue dragon elf named Seraphina. Though her lack of Common proved to be a bit of a language barrier, they quickly formed a bond though their sparring matches. One could say they left a mark on each other, and in Valac's case a bit of singed hair.

The Demis did their best to help Kuori cope with the obvious tough family revelations that had come about in Gladesdale. Eventually, Fumiyo returned with news that was no less troubling. An army of Underdark monsters had tried to invade the surface from the scar in the earth that led to Kuori's village. No doubt these were the ones responsible for kidnapping Maukein and selling her to the Arian government. Now, the Underdark army had been repelled by the combined forces of two neighboring kingdoms on the surface world but the last battle was still so fresh that the bodies hadn't even been finished being removed from the battlefield. Fumiyo promised to transport everyone the next day to the fort now being constructed at the opening to the Underdark, so that they may begin to discern what happened to Kuori's people.

It is now the next morning and the Demis have prepared a great morning feast to set the party on its way. Sylvia used her potions to magically infuse the food to help the party in whatever challenge they may face next. Each piece of food has the following effect:

Flower-seed Muffin, +2 attack until the end of next combat

Butternut Toast, +10HP until the end of next combat

Eggs in Greens, +2 AC Defense until the end of next combat

Honey Hotcakes, +2 on saving throws until the end of next combat.

Blended Fruit Juice, +1 to Will, Ref and Fort until the end of next combat

((Everyone may gain the effect of one food item; please indicate your choice in your post. This will be your last chance to interact with the Demis for a while, so if there is anything you wish to speak with them about or something you'd like to accomplish before leaving the fort, this is your chance.))  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:27 am
(Blended juice)

Kuori withdrew from the group for much of their time there, finding some solace in her new weapon. A morningstar with a spiked skull on its head, slightly larger than a human skull, and water motiffs. Runes carved into the skull in the form of a prayer. This weapon once belonged to a priest of Kuliak, Goliath Goddess of Exiles. Kuori spends much time meditating with it. She says things in passing like, "Kuliak overslept and forgot to lead my people to water. I left to fight monsters and forgot about the monsters I had left behind."

Her mind has broken a bit. She stakes claim in a ruined area of the fort, sleeping under the stars and practicing with her morningstar on the masonry.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:44 pm
Valac in his spare time from combat training spent it doing hard physical labour to keep his robust and terrifyingly strong physique. Clearing rubble to open new areas of the ruined fort, fetching water in unnecessarily large containers, chopping down trees and lugging the logs back.

He used this time to reflect on the past weeks as it was hard to think when Seraphina was frying his a** with blue dragon lightning, which admittedly caused him to cut the burnt hair off losing his impressive mane of black hair. Joining the group, discovering the demi's, picking fights with archmages, discovering he himself was possibly some form of demi and then the final battle where he was ashamedly over powered.

That last thought caused him to drive his wood chopping axe to hard into the tree, whilst still felling it the axe head broke off and bloodied his nose. Effing and blinding he tossed the broken handle aside, picked up the axe head and with a mighty 'Oomf' shouldered the log. Wiping the sweat from his brow he returned to the fort memories still racing through his head.

When he was back at the fort proper he saw the tables that were being prepared and laid out for the feast. Valac was hungry from his hard work and while disappointed at the lack of meat on the table he did divert and pick up a Flower-seed muffin to snack on. After dumping the log into a pile for whoever processed them he returned to the training area where he kept his stuff since he practically lived there.

Muffin in hand Valac entered the area waving at anyone present as he went to his stashed gear, taking his two massive full blades over to the whetstone. Throwing the rest of the muffin down his gullet Valac begun pedalling the whetstone and making sure his weapons were well sharpened. Valac didn't have the heart in him to sell his old flaming sword when he got the new one. The sword held emotional value to him though he wouldn't admit it to anyone 'It's mine, bugger off' seemed to explain it well enough. The sword apart from his brother was the only thing that had stuck around so far in what he could recall and he valued its loyalty...

"Thank you..." Valac said absent minded as he ground the edge of the sword.

When the feast is called Valac will attend keenly...  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:17 pm
"I'm not sure what Sylvia did to this bread, but it makes for surprisingly good toast," Revenge would comment to Abby, his tail swaying back and forth and barely skimming the floor.

"I've been thinking... while I'm keen on the idea of you continuing plying your trade, I've been worried about the proximity to Fort Rebirth." Taking a seat at the table, he'd gesture openly with one hand. "I'm a bit torn. While it's ultimately safer for you, it's more hazardous to the others. I confess I haven't figured out a solution to that little conundrum yet. When do you think you'll be scoping out potential store locations?"

Revenge would lift his hand in a polite wave to Valac when he entered and left with his snack, but only diverted his attention from Abby for that brief moment.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:01 am
The morning of departure Kuori enters in her new armor. Chain mail bearing a black skull over a blue tunic, a skull shaped helm, her new favorite morningstar, metal armbands, a holy symbol hanging from her neck of a skull atop waves, a blue cape tied with a black clasp.
She has the look of an avatar of death. Lifting the face guard of the helm and propping the weapon against the table, she pounds down a cup of juice.

After a moment staring into nothingness, her head snaps to Revenge for a moment, then to Valac, sizing them both up, then returning to her thousand yard stare at the wall.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:31 pm
“… All I am saying, if you got your hands on a shield you could probably load and fire a larger crossbow for better range, damage, and defense.” Ruin spoke to Illya, as he slowly ate the eggs and greens.

He already said he would join the other group with their rescue attempt. Though, the idea of taking a stroll through the Underdark had him on edge, if it was brought up. Given the only other times he entered a cave, he left broken and bleeding… who could blame him? That said, he was amazed at how fast she had matured as an adventure. Sooner, rather than later, he wouldn’t be able to give her any new lessons. Meaning their roles of teacher and student were coming to an end. A thought, he faced with both pride and sorrow.

Turning his attention to the other’s in the room, he would wave back to Valac. And pause for a moment on Kouri, “New look? ... I like it.” before turning his attention back to his student.  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:18 pm
As Valac approached the breakfast table Seraphina would give him an approving nod. She was eating some small animal that she had no doubt hunted and killed that morning, thankfully she had let Ramona prepare and cook it this time.

Illya listened to Ruin as she munched down on honey hotcakes Unfortunately her mouth was a little to full to to illicit a response.

Abby would respond to Revenge. "I discussed it with Fumiyo yesterday. She said we are located far enough away from our enemies here that we can risk a little exposure. I have also been working on a new illusion to disguise myself so I should be unrecognizable. Besides, I think the biggest challenger will be my lack of understanding of the local language spoke here. I imagine once I immerse myself in town I'll begin to pick it up..."

Petra, who was eating breakfast with Arthur, would come over to the distant looking Kuori. With a worried expression on her face she would speak. "Hey, Kuori...I...I know this has been a lot to take in. I never knew my parents or had any siblings, or even a home I could call my own, so I can't even imagine what you are going through right now. I-I just want you to know I am here for you just like you were there for me in my moments of doubt back in Gladesdale. I dont know where i would be right now mentally if it wasn't for your and Abby's support."

Before Kouri had a chance to respond Fumiyo would suddenly emerge from a shadow with a flash of smoke. She would announce to everyone. "I have charted our path through the shadows. I can take us to Lights Stand whenever everyone is ready. That is where I believe it would be best to begin your search. I heard there is a goliath there that was rescued from the Underdark Army. He might have news of the fate of the LightLost tribe." Fumiyo would cast Kuori a sympathetic glance but say no more.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:18 am
Kuori stands and gives a stiff nod to Petra, and if they were around, Ying and Corsica, tears welling up larger with each nod. She looked ready to deliver a big speech, but the most that she manages is, "Thank you." Her gaze finally comes to rest on Fumiyo as she says the words, turning to Revenge, "And you." She nods some more, choking on her words as she looks over her allies in the room. Lowering the helm and picking up her weapon, eager to get started.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:40 pm
The foot-powered whetstone made short and easy work of honing the edges of both of his massive blades. The forest ruined fort felt familiar to Valac, he had once been a leader of some bandits in a similar place but that was long in the past. After giving the sharpness of the blade a feel with his thumb he sighed and sheathed both of his swords slinging them over his back.

Grabbing his pack Valac returned to the rest of the group and seeing that most of the group seemed ready to go Valac asked a question.

"Have I got time to have a quick wash before we leave? I've worked up a sweat while you all fed yourselves fat and lazed about this morning." Valac asked grinning continuing, "It's just we're going to lose any sense of surprise if you let loose this musk and put half the underdark into heat."  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:53 pm
Given Kouri’s tearful response, rubbing something from his own eye the warlock would open his mouth “Then let's go, before Revenge starts crying with her”, but didn’t because this part is struck and erased from the world. Ruin turned to look down at what was left of his meal. In realization, this was again the last time he would see Illya for some time. The last time she was taken, it was on a trip much like this one… and when they meet again she was changed. There was so much he wanted to say like she was the best student he would hope for, she would go on to do great things, she was a shining light in his life..., but, all he could manage. “Anything you need before I go, Illya?”  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:49 am
"Local language? I never got to ask which people were indigenous to this region. Maybe I've... uh..." Revenge would pause as Kuori entered.

Kuori. I, er... I think something happened to your bow. It looks... broken."

Not too long after, Fumiyo appeared and announced their encroaching departure. "Wait, that's today? I thought it was tomorrow," he voiced, then sigh and turning to Abby, his face a bit sadder than it was a moment before. "Well... before, if I fell in the line of duty as a paladin, I had believed it would still bring me to where you were in the afterlife. Since I know you're waiting for me here, I'll have to make doubly sure I stay safe to make sure I stay in the realm of the living. I hadn't told you this yet, Abby, but I had requested Fumiyo to acquire me a shield to help keep me safe. Sehanine as my witness, I will return to you as long as you are there for me to return to." He would force a smile. "If you do start to venture out, don't take any unnecessary risks. Safety is always top priority."

Standing from his chair, his tail would nudge it reflexively. He would look to Valac, then to Fumiyo. "Give him time he needs, I need to go don my armor anyways."

He would go head off in the direction of his chambers to do just that, his heart a storm of determination and trepidation.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:21 pm
"The problem with a bow is that it makes it harder for your opponent to know who did them their final blow. This job needs a personal touch. An up close and personal touch. And besides ... I've been learning to heal your ... you guys, and I have to be a bit closer to do that." She looks to Valac, "Learn to manage your time better princess. Go wash I guess ..."  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:20 pm
To Ruin's question, Illya would shake her head. "I believe I am good. As you know Fumiyo takes good care of us here, though, it will be more lonely without you. I will miss our lessons..." Illya would pause to look directly into Ruin's eyes. "...Please...stay safe."

A couple of the Demis would roll their eyes at Valac's comment. Seraphina would ask what Valac said. When it was translated to her she would laugh out loud before making some comment in Elven. Corsica would yell at him. "Just make sure to clean up the wash basin when you're done. You left a mess in there last time!"

Abby would nod at Revenge. "You don't need to worry about me. Safety is my middle name, right after profit." Abby would laugh at her own corny joke as Revenge got up to change. However, before he could get too far he would feel one of her long invisible tentacles wrap around his waist and draw him back. She would then plant a kiss on his cheek before allowing him on his way.

Once everyone had returned from their errands the Demis had finished their breakfast. Most everyone had taken off to do their own activities but Petra, Arthur, Abby, Ying, Corsica and Illya stayed behind to see their friends off. The playful attitude Abby had during breakfast had all but vanished. She tearfully hugged her husband and made him promise to come back safe. Petra to also hugged Kuori goodbye as well but seemed to be at a loss of words as what to say.

Once everyone had said their goodbyes Fumiyo would have the party link their hands as she had done before and lead them into the shadow she had appeared from. Within moments the party was gone, leaving behind only solemn faces wishing for their safe return.

((Will write the second post bringing the party to Light's Stand tomorrow))  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:17 pm
Fort Light's Stand
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

After a bizarre disorienting jaunt through the Shadowfell, the party emerges from a shadow created by an overturned cart. If it wasn't for the familiar contours of the land Kuori would barely be able to recognize it as the entrance of her home. The land was broken and scared from a great battle and the smell of death hung in the air. The corpses of nightmarish creatures laid littered across the landscape. The party could see in a half constructed fort in the distance in which Fumiyo would indicate as Light's Stand. "I'm sorry I can't get you much closer but I do not want anyone to observe us teleporting here. In the fort there is the goliath who was rescued from the retreating Underdark forces. That is the best lead I could find at this time. I believe he might have some answers to what happened to your people. I will try to get in touch when I can. Until then, I wish you the best of luck."

Fumiyo would do a small bow before vanishing back into the shadows leaving the party to themselves. At the fort in the distance the party could see a lot of people moving about the structure, building it a fever pitch. It seemed completing their fortification took precedent over cleaning up the field of battle, though, most of the corpses on the field seemed to belong to the Underdark. The party could also see a hastily constructed wooden barrier in front of the fort manned by soldiers. No doubt this was their first line of defense and looked to be the place to go to get access to the fort.

((Ran out of time tonight, Will be bringing the new players in in my next post))  

Kowsauni
Crew

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:25 pm
General Valmist

User Image

In a simply ordained room a finely dressed man in his fifties sat behind a desk filled with papers. This was the part of his job he hated. Who knew founding a fort would require so much paperwork? As he moved to sign yet another piece of paper, he suddenly grimaced and grabbed his side. His wound from a drow blade was acting up again. The medics had done their best to remove the poison, but he could tell he was in for a long recovery. He could at least take solace in the fact that there would be no recovery for the drow who did this to him--his mace had made sure of that. Still, he would much rather be out in the field with his men than doing clerical work. He hoped the two heroes he sent for from the last battle would show up soon. He had an important mission for them and talking with them would be far preferable to staring at these papers.

((Chronos and Psychofish, go ahead and post yourselves arriving in the General's office and asking any questions you might have. Everyone else is free to be posting as well, though if I don't get anyone stating anything different I will be advancing the rest of the party to the fort's gate in my next post to keep things moving. ))  
[D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 99 100 101 102 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff