Talk and rant about manga! 

Tags: manga, anime 

Reply Manga Maniacs Forum
Manga - Story, Art, or Both? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you choose which manga your into?
  Story only
  Art only
  Story and Art
  I'll give any manga a shot
View Results

NNYAnime

650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:21 pm
My boyfriend recently expressed an interest in getting into reading so of course I'm going through my vast and growing collection of manga to find some stories he may be interested in.

I found a few stories he'd be interested in BUT we have discovered that he has a pet peeve concerning a certain style of art.

As we all know there are certain manga while drawn beautifully, have men who are drawn effeminately, girlishly, or more commonly know as bishonen.

My boyfriend finds this irritating because sometimes it is difficult for him to tell just by the look which is female and which is male.

There are different ways to tell with different artist and it is simpler once you get into the story, but this bothers him so much he has a hard time even getting into the story.

For example, he loved GTO but he doesn't seem like he could even try Les Bijoux.
I personally will give any manga, from any genre a try if the story at least interests me.

So, I'm curious as to how the people of this guild choose there manga.

-Which is more important, Story, Art, or Both?
-Do you ever not read a certain genre do to a pet peeve or irritation?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:34 pm
both  

Fick Dace

Moonduster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:14 pm
I know when I was younger I had a certain taste in the kind of art that was used in manga. But as I have grown older those peeves had become less and less. To the point that I now give any style of art a chance BUT I still have one pet peeve that rules over all the others. That is the story if its doesn't have a good story I simply cannot get into it. Thankfully most of the mangas out there do have great stories.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:23 am
Personally I kinda like the bishonen kind of art style. If manga does not have a good art style I can't REALLY get into it, thats why I have so much trouble reading older manga, such as buddha. I know its a classic but it looks like s**t xd ! But if a manga (especially shoujo) has strong art but a bad plot and generic characters, I can't get into it. Its forgivable with shonen if the plot isn't that strong as ling as it has good art (for all the battles) and like able characters. If I dont like at least one character in a manga, it's in the trash (BYE CHOBITS scream ). So to answer you're question I like when a manga has both plot and art, but likable characters is what does it for me. If the manga had likeable characters already, I'd pick art for a shonen, and plot for a shojo.  

The Atheistic Messiah

ChaoRin019

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:15 pm
both story and art is important to me
if characters are ugly it ruins the story vice versa  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:11 am
Well, if the storyline is good, but the art is bad or vice-versa, I'll be put off straight away. So I think both is important.  

KumikoxChan

Fasal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:41 pm
both xp  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:47 pm
If it looks good and has a good story I'll read it....when people ask my dislike for one piece is so great...I simply answer "it is Ugly and the story bores me to tears ^ ^"  

Adelle The Kat

HiddenBeliefs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:01 pm
it has to be bothfor me, although my favourite style in art varies but i found i didnt like the art of tarot cafe, although i may decide to give it a go and see what happens because i like the the idea of the story.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:37 am
Both. I won't be into the manga if they don't have a good storyline or art.

Ehclipse Mint

Shy Love Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:16 am
Definitely a bit of both, since together, art and a gret story, can make an awesome manga series. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:21 pm
For me, it doesn't quite matter. If the story is brilliant, but the artwork not so wonderful, I'll read it anyways becuase after a while the so-called 'shabby artwork' is unnoticeable and even become a natural part of the manga. However, if the artwork is great but the story terrible...I think I would keep whatever manga it is, but not continue the collection.
Manga is a story in pictures and, quite frankly, no amount of wonderous artwork is going to cover up a thin story.  

Red Kasei

Deojack

Puppy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:23 pm
Well mostly story and a lil bit of art, I don't mind it's not the best drawings,
unless it's so bad that I can't keep reading further because it's so annoying,
definitely a story that's great is first and foremost 3nodding then again
sometimes some mindless fun mangas work too rofl
User Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:06 pm
sure, manga is all about visual entertainment, but the dialouge is just as important, such as developing a story line or explanations.  

Apocalipca

Beloved Phantom

9,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Mark Twain 100

MomoTehChosenOne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:07 pm
I will try any manga once but if it has to much fan service, it generally puts me out sweatdrop  
Manga Maniacs Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff