Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply ®
REALITY FINALLY HIT THE TOP RANKING ! ! ! ! IT"S #1 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WE MADE IT ! ! !
  YES ! ! ! ! ! ! Break out that champagne !
View Results

Razin Frostdrake
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:20 am
REALITY finally made it to the top of the guilds list ! ! !

finally ! ! !

WHAT A GREAT YEAR THIS WILL BE ! ! !  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:15 am
YES ! ! !  

Monica Elwyn

lazy bonz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:39 am
OMG! Is it really true! dramallama dramallama dramallama
cheese_whine wahmbulance rofl 4laugh 3nodding xd pirate  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:24 pm
yes, it is true. Not a glitch this time!

mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen  

The Name of the Rose
Crew

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:50 am

surprised Cool beans.

I wonder though . . . I'd like to say congratulations to you/Engineer for all your/her persistence paying off since it was the combination of that, your/her work figuring out how guild ranking works, and the initial concept design and gold input by Skip that made this place what it is and got it where it is, but at the same time I kind of wistfully can't help but be reminded of the Wynand Papers' Banner . . . I suppose in a way I'm still a little troubled by some thoughts I had about this place when all the stuff about how guild ranks works first came up last year, since like the Wynand Papers it has a lot to do with being popular only as long as it does and is what the masses want (again, case in point the furor last year before Sein and turned it over/back over to you/Engineer) even though your/Engineer's own work put into this place did contribute a lot, it relies on popularity ultimately to the point the place can pretty much fly straight in the face of almost everything you/Engineer value(s). And all the while Reality can keep this rank once attained (at least for a time) even once it loses its popular appeal though if you/Egineer, say, like Wynand (and like Sein tried to do,) decided to exercise more of your/her own direction and values on the place's direction, but only because Gaia doesn't have a way for undoing member count (and to a slight extent, taking back donations, though most of that isn't from the current members in the guild account I know) to take away from a guild's rank when people quit, so it would kind of be like forcing and fraudulent to keep a rank from the support of Gaians through the rank system when they joined who no longer support it . . . I kind of have to ask myself if the rank really means all that much considering this part, that it counts even inactive and quit people for rank factoring, so it becomes about not just blind popularity with limited basis on merit, but kind of sneaky, forceful, and inaccurate popularity by the nature of the guild rank system itself. So also I ask myself if ultimately aiming for the number one guild rank spot was even a good goal to ever have. However, perhaps all his in the end could be justified by the statement once made that this place was seeking to get popular to serve as a gateway and ad space to other guilds that you/Engineer were much more supportive of on principals/in their nature. However I think to some extent that ad space has since become for just anybody who asks now to be an affiliate and exchange recognition in a way on their guild for the other guild (and by now though, as the number one guild, how much good can accepting advertisement from other guilds do? If that is the only reason you/Engineer took some guilds to advertise on the main page then I think that would kind of be pointless. And if it was just to be friendly you/Engineer took some of them, than what is it they gave you/her in return value? They got the ad space, fine and cool for them, but if not the guild itself, were they at least people you/Engineer knew you/she liked rather than just being friendly indiscriminately to everybody and anybody who came wanting the advertisement for their guild and wasn't blatantly obnoxious? I know ,benevolent universe premise and all, we like to approach people not expecting the to be crappy people not worth our recognition even, but to promise to give out something of value to one person in exchange for what you don't know yet is likely to pan out as valuable for you in return (a friendly, rather than just neutral, relation with a person - while everybody is a chance to find a new good friend, you have to admit the kind of people you/Engineer would really like to be friends with are fairly well on the rare side, so chances are it is better not to make any bets on getting a pay off of a valuable friendship in payment until you know a bit more about the person) is kind of foolish and likely undermining the initial cause of why you/Engineer have/has the ad space there in the first place and thus why you/Engineer wanted to get Reality to its top position . . . But, perhaps I just don't know enough about the situation and all is quite well? Hmm . . . Context is crucial, and my knowledge of it may be too limited.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:36 pm
bluecherry

surprised Cool beans.

I wonder though . . . I'd like to say congratulations to you/Engineer for all your/her persistence paying off since it was the combination of that, your/her work figuring out how guild ranking works, and the initial concept design and gold input by Skip that made this place what it is and got it where it is, but at the same time I kind of wistfully can't help but be reminded of the Wynand Papers' Banner . . . I suppose in a way I'm still a little troubled by some thoughts I had about this place when all the stuff about how guild ranks works first came up last year, since like the Wynand Papers it has a lot to do with being popular only as long as it does and is what the masses want (again, case in point the furor last year before Sein and turned it over/back over to you/Engineer) even though your/Engineer's own work put into this place did contribute a lot, it relies on popularity ultimately to the point the place can pretty much fly straight in the face of almost everything you/Engineer value(s). And all the while Reality can keep this rank once attained (at least for a time) even once it loses its popular appeal though if you/Egineer, say, like Wynand (and like Sein tried to do,) decided to exercise more of your/her own direction and values on the place's direction, but only because Gaia doesn't have a way for undoing member count (and to a slight extent, taking back donations, though most of that isn't from the current members in the guild account I know) to take away from a guild's rank when people quit, so it would kind of be like forcing and fraudulent to keep a rank from the support of Gaians through the rank system when they joined who no longer support it . . . I kind of have to ask myself if the rank really means all that much considering this part, that it counts even inactive and quit people for rank factoring, so it becomes about not just blind popularity with limited basis on merit, but kind of sneaky, forceful, and inaccurate popularity by the nature of the guild rank system itself. So also I ask myself if ultimately aiming for the number one guild rank spot was even a good goal to ever have. However, perhaps all his in the end could be justified by the statement once made that this place was seeking to get popular to serve as a gateway and ad space to other guilds that you/Engineer were much more supportive of on principals/in their nature. However I think to some extent that ad space has since become for just anybody who asks now to be an affiliate and exchange recognition in a way on their guild for the other guild (and by now though, as the number one guild, how much good can accepting advertisement from other guilds do? If that is the only reason you/Engineer took some guilds to advertise on the main page then I think that would kind of be pointless. And if it was just to be friendly you/Engineer took some of them, than what is it they gave you/her in return value? They got the ad space, fine and cool for them, but if not the guild itself, were they at least people you/Engineer knew you/she liked rather than just being friendly indiscriminately to everybody and anybody who came wanting the advertisement for their guild and wasn't blatantly obnoxious? I know ,benevolent universe premise and all, we like to approach people not expecting the to be crappy people not worth our recognition even, but to promise to give out something of value to one person in exchange for what you don't know yet is likely to pan out as valuable for you in return (a friendly, rather than just neutral, relation with a person - while everybody is a chance to find a new good friend, you have to admit the kind of people you/Engineer would really like to be friends with are fairly well on the rare side, so chances are it is better not to make any bets on getting a pay off of a valuable friendship in payment until you know a bit more about the person) is kind of foolish and likely undermining the initial cause of why you/Engineer have/has the ad space there in the first place and thus why you/Engineer wanted to get Reality to its top position . . . But, perhaps I just don't know enough about the situation and all is quite well? Hmm . . . Context is crucial, and my knowledge of it may be too limited.

*Taps lip* I do indeed believe that it is more a matter of a personal quest. Which is not to say that when one sets out to fufill that personal quest that others cannot rally to your side and undertake it, more or less, in a collective way.

In terms of ad space, what is the harm of helping those below you? Once you've picked yourself 'up by your bootstraps' and secured your own 'pedestal', certainly there is only good to be done by helping others rise as well, assuming that by doing so, you are not offing yourself in the process. However, if there is no threat involved with offering a small amount of pixel space, why not? Not everything has to be considered in terms of what you yourself get out of it. Though here I will undoubtedly contradict myself. Quite honestly, surely you will not get anything in return, 'physically' so to speak, but what you do receive is the self-acknowledgement of knowing you helped. That feels good. Really good. It's the idea that being selfless can actually be very selfish.

As for Wynand's newspaper, Wynand was a martyr for a cause that... became his own. He fought the battle for another, a very selfless act that indeed gave him a great deal of satisfaction. Needless to say, I don't really see how it applies here.

And I daresay Reality isn't driven by popularity, it's driven by my mother's awesome stubborness steadfastness. cool  

Zphal
Vice Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

bchan03

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:33 pm
yey  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:40 pm

*holds a finger to her own lips* zphal_girl87, shh! ninja No directly exposin' the white text now (even if it was a suspiciously long post for two words as it was. razz ) And I've already been corresponding with Engineer about it to get things straightened out. wink

bluecherry
Vice Captain

Razin Frostdrake
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:03 pm
bluecherry

*holds a finger to her own lips* zphal_girl87, shh! ninja No directly exposin' the white text now (even if it was a suspiciously long post for two words as it was. razz ) And I've already been corresponding with Engineer about it to get things straightened out. wink

even i know white text is white text for a reason . . . it's not meant to be seen unless the person really wants to know . . . never take the white away from the white text ! domokun  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:02 pm
Sorry, I just kinda go by the whole honesty thing. If I'm gonna say it, it oughta be out in the open. *shrugs*  

Zphal
Vice Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:51 am

I use white text in this case to imply the more personal note of the message. Most people would have no idea what I was talking about in that message, so the white text is to show it isn't really meant to be addressed to the entire guild at large. ninja

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:02 pm
good i totally love htis guild XD  

xXCupcakebabiiXx

Akia-RP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:14 pm
how did you get that!?!  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:50 am

As long as you're referring to Reality's recently acquired status as the first guild in the Gaia guild registry, I'd credit it to an interesting basic design concept of the place and a lot of persistence particularly by Engineer in sending out invites along with members contributing by posting and a little bit to the guild's large account funds.

bluecherry
Vice Captain

kyosuke01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:46 pm
greatest guild ever  
®

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items