Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply T3h Movie World
The Golden Compass Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sir Raunchy McTendersoft

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:28 pm
This movie is amazing. I watched it on Blu-Ray last night and I think its one of the better fantasy movies I've seen in a long time.

I really want to read the book now.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:25 am
I read the book before watching the movie and it was pretty different. I don't know how they are going to do the other books the way they left the ending and cut out all of the "religion".  

Strange Kiddo

Sir Raunchy McTendersoft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:49 am
I haven't done much research on it. Is there only one book right now or are they making more? Do you know if there is going to be another movie?  
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:25 am
There are three books.

The Golden compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass.

(I've read them all)
The first one of course was amazing but towards the second and especially in the third book the author really starts showing his hatred for organized religion. Which is no problem to me since I'm an atheist but it might bother some other people.

I have yet to see the movie but those who've read the book and seen the movie say its completely different. Which is sad because the book was amazing. I didnt think they picked good actors to play Lira and Lord Asriel. they did a good job on the Woman with the Golden monkey though. I think Nicole Kidman did a good job, she just needed to be a bit meaner and uh obviously BLACK HAIR!.  

sankapoo

8,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Galateax

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:15 pm
i was really disappointed by the film... i've read the books lots of times and i don't think the film really justified how good it is...

i'm still looking forward to seeing the next two... but i hope they don't spoil the books.  
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm
it seems really boring, reminds me of Chronicles of Narnia  

somnium yum

5,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Clambake 200
  • First step to fame 200

sankapoo

8,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:16 pm
Oh no I dont think its anything like the CoN.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:56 am
I watched the film first, and I liked it much. Then I read the Books (now reading the last one ^^), and I noticest much of diffrences between Book and Film. But this is normal. If a book becomes a Film, there lots of Problems to fit it one on one. So .. it's ok here. But in other Films? Wow .. guys .. I've seen films from books, wich have nothing to do with each other!  

Sansonnet

Lodemai Poison

3,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:27 am
I read all three books a while back so I can't remember all the differences but I know it seemed completely different, it didn't have such a magical feel to it. I didn't like the actress playing Lyra, she didn't suit the story in my opinion. I thought Daniel Craig did a good job of Lord Asriel (Even though I'm not particularly keen on the actor). I wasn't too keen on Nicole Kidman's part, she didn't seem mean enough. I must have forgotten the original story quite a bit because I thought Stelmaria was more prominant in the book. It was an okay film but as usual, in comparison to the original version, it fell short.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:11 pm
I really enjoyed His Dark Materials (the books). They are just too controversial to make into decent movies. If you haven't read the books, then the movie(s) will probably be alright. I read all three of the books right before the movie came out. All I have to say is that it was a really big let down. And it was really rushed. I think if they slowed the story down just a bit and added more of the little details from the books that the movie wouldn't have been so bland to me. I honestly don't know how they can manage to do the rest of the books as film adaptions without completely changing the entire story though (with the issues everyone has with those books based on religious views)...Especially the ending.

If you enjoyed watching The Golden Compass, then you should definitely check out the books.

Epiphany

EuphoricUnderworld

Hilarious Fatcat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:05 pm
I watched the movie for my seventeenth birthday as a gift from my boyfriend. That Christmas, his parents got me the set of books in one.

I'm trying to read the book, but I find it hard to read the book after seeing the movie, its hard to get into when you already know the basic story.

But I have a feeling that they are going to make the rest of them into movies. They've been making a lot of movies from books and comics. They're running out of original ideas.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:07 pm
the book is better  

tekeydie

kool ken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:44 pm
the book is always better.

I liked the movie a lot and I hope they make the rest of the series.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:32 pm
the trailer looks great but when i saw it... i regret to see the movie...  

alvhinne

gOtHiC_MuSiC_DeVviL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:29 pm
hmm well i watched it on a plane ona 14 hr flight and it seemed boring kinda but yeah on a plane tryin to sleep  
T3h Movie World

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff