Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Disappointing Movies
ARGH!!! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MrSkelli

Dapper Gaian

3,800 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:25 pm
who agrees with me that most(not all mind you)movies about books are just plain wretchted  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:52 pm
most of them, yes. you miss out on alot of details.... and then if you read the book and other people you go with, who haven't read it, to see it, they end up asking you all these annoying questions and it's just an overall waste of money seeing as how MOST completely suck  

kitsukyuu

7,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300

MrSkelli

Dapper Gaian

3,800 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:40 pm
yes i use the word most strongly in here some book movies are actually good though not all .taking away detail is really bad . hollywood does this because they already know that there going to get alot of money.complete waste of my time really. and the questions can really get bothersome  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:18 pm
No Country For Old Men... A Clockwork Orange... Sin City (comic but whateve its nearly perfect)... Bladerunner (actually haven't read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep so i don't know how close it relates to the book)? Just to name a few of my favorites... It probably mostly depends on the director and the hype and popularity of the book. And the movie is never going to satisfy us like the book... because we make an image in our head and if it leaves something important out... which most do... we make a big deal about it.  

Misfit_the

Rishon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:19 am
book movies usually do suck, ex. Eragon, i never wanted to read eargon in the first place(the name reminds me of Aragorn, the author was 13 or so, and i like my dragons slayed not tamed) but the movie jumped around so much its like the script was also written by a 13 year old.

Lord of the Rings however was f'n amazing, im in the begging of the last book and i can tell how accurate it was. the To kill a Mockingbird movie however was as slow boreing and wasted my time just as much as the book did, that was one of the worst books i have ever read, granted i don't accually read.

enders game was an amazing book and the movie their making better match up or im going to eat the producer and director of a different movie (perffeably the producer and directer of... Spy kids)  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:21 am
Quote:
and i like my dragons slayed not tamed

I don't know why but I really like that. 4laugh

Most movies made from books lose a lot. An early version of Pride And Prejudice w/Greer Garson (1930s or so) stunk. It barely resembled the book and I am glad I saw the fantastic BBC 1990s version first. But other ones have been fairly accurate, like I Remember Mama (194 cool . I loved, loved Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising series as a child, and it was just butchered on screen last year. And there has never been a Wizard of Oz movie that was true to L. Frank Baum's book.

It's hit or miss, mostly miss. But when it hits, it's worth it! You can finally put images to scenes only imagined before. It takes a talented director and a talented cast who really love and understand the book before a worthy movie can be made.  

Quicksylver

Salty Saint

scromlette

8,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:39 am
User Image

I have to agree and yet disagree with your point. To us movie-goers that enjoy reading this is very true, and a very few movie books are even worth it. Although none of them can ever be 100% dead on, there are still those movies adaptions which are enjoyable just the same.

Now, to non book reading movie-goers, I'm sure they would very much disagree with any move we denied based on the fact that we thought the book was better.

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:40 am
Rishon

enders game was an amazing book and the movie their making better match up or im going to eat the producer and director of a different movie (perffeably the producer and directer of... Spy kids)

Why the director of Spy Kids? Robert Rodriguez is quickly being one of the most predominant names in film. Plus he only made Spy Kids for his kids... can't keep making movies like Sin City and Planet Terror... well he did actually use his kid in Planet Terror and my personal favorite From Dusk Till Dawn... Not to mention the Mexico Trilogy... but thats beside the point. I think the fact that he made Spy Kids for his kids... shows he's a good father... wish when I have kids I would have the option of doing something that big for them.  

Misfit_the

MrSkelli

Dapper Gaian

3,800 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:27 pm
did you know thats the godfather almost became one of those crappy book movies. i rue the thought of it,(funny, i said rue)  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:50 pm
A Scanner Darkly, A Clockwork Orange, Skipped Parts, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, The Chronicles of Narnia, some incarnations of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland... those are all examples of good movies based on books. I have this bookmark that says don't judge a book by it's movie. I think that goes both ways. The book could have been terrible but had a great movie, or a great book with a great movie. I just think that there aren't enough bad adaptations of books in movie form to say they are generally bad. The only one I am not looking forward to is the reported movie version of The Perks of Being a Wallflower.  

Blue Eyed Wallflower

Thieving Scrounger

36,475 Points
  • Married 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

monkey_bubbles_1995

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:12 pm
yeah most movies based on books come out horrible with a lot of things missing or wrong....like Bridge to Terabithia their club was a little one room hut not a big tree house.......my sis was complaining about how the Earagon movie was different then the book.....  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:48 pm
I agree how can they get all that is in a book cramed in to 2hrs or less. Just not posible. Although there have been a few sucesses...  

Lynssis

AZNangel715

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:27 am
I agree with you 100%. I hate it how in the movies, the plot and some scenes are changed so much. There are specific scenese I'm been dying to watch so I can compare it to the book but the whole scene isn't even in the book! It really gets me angry. An example is P.S. I Love You. The WHOLE setting changed.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:56 pm
Most of them are small and obscure.  

knightofthe21stcentury

gOtHiC_MuSiC_DeVviL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:15 am
yeah ur really right Like the sleepers OH MY GOD
Harry POTTER
and all the above and more to come im sure  
Disappointing Movies

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff