Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Disappointing Movies
Pan's Labyrinth: Contains Spoiler Info Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

You hate it too?
  Worst movie ever.
  I hate it.
  Have not seen it yet, so I'll hate it later.
  Have not seen it, but I already know I hate it.
View Results

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:16 pm
I hated it. I hate everything about it. I guess it's not the fault of the movie as much as it's the fault of whoever made the previews for it. Every preview I saw described it as a "fantasy for adults." So I rent it, and guess what? There's no fantasy except for a couple of fairies, but they get their heads bitten off. The whole rest of the movie is about people being stabbed, people getting their faces smashed in, people having fingers cut off, torture, kids being shot, etc. It was nothing more than a slasher flick with some nice looking animation. That hardly qualifies as fantasy in my opinion.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:07 pm
Then I think you missed the point of the movie. Or didn't even watch the same movie. If you think fantasy means fairies and dragons and elves (oh my!), then your definition of fantasy is incredibly narrow. Did you not get idea behind Ophelia's dream world being a foil to the real world? Or maybe how the make-believe world is Ophelia's escape from reality? There are make believe creatures (Pan, The Pale Man, the giant toad). There is a definite fantasy element. Go watch it again. I'm sure you'll find it.

Oh, and on the comparisons to slashers... I think you missed the storyline.  

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:37 pm
Actually, it sounds like you must not have watched it. Maybe you only saw the previews.

But I think you failed to understand my point. My point is the movie was portrayed as something it was not in all the previews that I saw, which made me disappointed with the movie when I saw it.

If you enjoy watching people's faces get smashed in, that's weird but whatever. But you don't have to talk down to me like I am an idiot who "didn't get what they were going for" just because I said I don't like it.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:27 pm
Then I don't know what previews you saw, but I'm pretty sure something was missed by one of us. And considering I can see my copy of the DVD I own, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say I saw the entire movie. But anyway, that's not my point. The point is that if you think the movie is about violence and gore, then you seriously missed the point of the movie. The reason they billed it as a "fairy-tale for adults" is because of the violence, yes, but also because the storyline is a little more mature than your typical fantasy fare.

Question for you: if Pan's Labyrinth was a bad example of fantasy, what is a good example?  

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

xXDragon FoxXx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:00 am
thing was like so off! First of all, Pan is the Titan God of the Wild, second, the labrinth belongs to the ghost king, it was built by that son of athena, and Pan just lives in it! The only killing involved in that maze is the Minator!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:09 am
RedWhiteBlack
Then I don't know what previews you saw, but I'm pretty sure something was missed by one of us. And considering I can see my copy of the DVD I own, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say I saw the entire movie. But anyway, that's not my point. The point is that if you think the movie is about violence and gore, then you seriously missed the point of the movie. The reason they billed it as a "fairy-tale for adults" is because of the violence, yes, but also because the storyline is a little more mature than your typical fantasy fare.

Question for you: if Pan's Labyrinth was a bad example of fantasy, what is a good example?

You missed the point. That's the bottom line. I heard the previews varied greatly depending on what channel they were on. Some channels portrayed it more accurately, while others made it seem mush more fantastical than it was from what I heard (I only saw the fantastical previews).

At any rate, I am not going to buy into your condescending crap by discussing it with you further. God forbid anyone disagree with you. I'll remember to check your opinion before posting in the future.  

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:29 am
LorienLlewellyn
RedWhiteBlack

You missed the point. That's the bottom line. I heard the previews varied greatly depending on what channel they were on. Some channels portrayed it more accurately, while others made it seem mush more fantastical than it was from what I heard (I only saw the fantastical previews).

At any rate, I am not going to buy into your condescending crap by discussing it with you further. God forbid anyone disagree with you. I'll remember to check your opinion before posting in the future.

Just freak out like a six year old. That's how you solve problems.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:33 am
LorienLlewellyn
RedWhiteBlack

Here's the deal... Pans was advertised wrong... but not because they made it look like a giant fantasy with the composure of Lord of the Rings... but that they made it look like a kid friendly movie. And come on LorienLlewellyn your calling RedWhiteBlack condescending when your statement is just as much or more arrogant towards RedWhiteBlacks view than he is towards yours. If your going to write that a movie sucks... don't get all mad if people disagree with you... if it turns into a debate then debate your point... especially one like Pans Labyrinth... were you did miss the central point and beauty of the film... it wasn't a slasher movie... do you consider Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List slasher movies? It's about the Spanish Revolution during World War 2 when the fascist movement overthrew the democratic government... hardly a set up for a slasher movie...  

Misfit_the

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:23 pm
Misfit_the

Here's the deal... Pans was advertised wrong... but not because they made it look like a giant fantasy with the composure of Lord of the Rings... but that they made it look like a kid friendly movie.

Yes, I heard some people say they expected it to be like Bridge to Tarabithia or whatever it was called.

Misfit_the
And come on LorienLlewellyn your calling RedWhiteBlack condescending when your statement is just as much or more arrogant towards RedWhiteBlacks view than he is towards yours. If your going to write that a movie sucks... don't get all mad if people disagree with you... if it turns into a debate then debate your point... especially one like Pans Labyrinth... were you did miss the central point and beauty of the film... it wasn't a slasher movie... do you consider Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List slasher movies? It's about the Spanish Revolution during World War 2 when the fascist movement overthrew the democratic government... hardly a set up for a slasher movie...

I am not angry that he disagrees with me. I went to Pre-K, so know people all have different opinions. xp My issue is that once I said I did not like the movie, he didn't just disagree or debate with me. He simply implied that I was an idiot who must not have understood the movie because if he likes it, everyone intelligent person in the world should also like it. It's that kind of Nazi attitude that drives me crazy. So was I being condescending back? Of course. Debating is one thing, implying people are stupid for not liking a movie that you liked is another.

Maybe we just define "slasher flick" in different ways. My definition is fairly broad. For me, if I see more than like five people slowly beaten, tortured, and killed and more than like two gallons of fake blood, I'm probably going to call it a slasher flick.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:34 pm
LorienLlewellyn
I am not angry that he disagrees with me. I went to Pre-K, so know people all have different opinions. xp My issue is that once I said I did not like the movie, he didn't just disagree or debate with me. He simply implied that I was an idiot who must not have understood the movie because if he likes it, everyone intelligent person in the world should also like it. It's that kind of Nazi attitude that drives me crazy. So was I being condescending back? Of course. Debating is one thing, implying people are stupid for not liking a movie that you liked is another.

Maybe we just define "slasher flick" in different ways. My definition is fairly broad. For me, if I see more than like five people slowly beaten, tortured, and killed and more than like two gallons of fake blood, I'm probably going to call it a slasher flick.

I did not imply that you were an idiot. Hell, I could care less if you hated the movie. But since it was apparent to me that you chose to attack the movie because it wasn't fantasy enough for you, then I felt that I should let you know that the movie is a little bit more than just your typical fantasy.

However, if you want to stand by your point that Pan's Labyrinth is a terrible movie because it was advertised wrong and wasn't what you were expecting, then fine. But please don't take your anger out on me because you couldn't take a little surprise.

However you calling Pan's Labyrinth a slasher is just ignorant and incredibly unfounded. Slasher movies have a few characteristics:

1. There is excessive amounts of blood and violence.
2. There is one central, and often times, insane person attacking the protagonist.
3. There are normally three storylines: the killer attacking the people, a romantic subplot, and, sometimes, a flashback outlining the killer's origins.
4. The protagonist makes stupid choices that usually lead to their death at the hands of the central antagonist.

A slasher is also defined by Wikipedia as:

"The slasher film (sometimes referred to as bodycount films and dead teenager movies) is a sub-genre of horror film typically involving a psychopathic killer (sometimes wearing a mask) who stalks and graphically murders a series of adolescent victims in a typically random, unprovoked fashion, killing many within a single day."

When I look at those four characteristics (there are obviously more, but those are the main ones, in my opinion anyway), I find it hard to fit Pan's Labyrinth into more than one. The one I'm talking about is the excessive amounts of blood and violence, but even then the amount was tame by traditional standards. Sure, there were multiple storylines (as all good movies have), but Pan's Labyrinth also uses the fantasy escape world as a foil to the real world. This is something that even slasher's can't do. And Wikipedia's definition alone is enough to refute your claim.

Sure, my ideas may be stereotypical. But since you were attacking Pan's Labyrinth for not being a stereotype, and for pushing the boundaries of fantasy, I figured I could show how Pan's Labyrinth didn't fit into the slasher stereotype. And I know Wikipedia isn't exactly a reputable source, but since this is merely Gaia Online, the definition created by it's users, who I am willing to bet are also users of Gaia, should be sufficient.

Now, call me condescending, call me pseudo-intellectual, call me whatever you want, but just remember this: you got into a silly argument with someone you've never met. You didn't debate the topic, you screamed and yelled your opinion and attacked anyone who dare disagree with you. Sure, I may have somewhat attacked you, but when you totally debase a movie because the previews advertised incorrectly, I think you need go back to watching Fantastic Four.  

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

a scawy ghost

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:33 pm
I've gotta say that it was portrayed to be a bit more friendly for children than it actually was.

But I also think that it was a pretty great movie all around.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:07 pm
LorienLlewellyn

Of course you are going to confuse people when you go and change the definitions of a genre of film... Slasher movies are usually a degenerate low budget piece of @#$% that are fun to watch but thats about it... because honestly after Psycho and Halloween (i would personally put A Nightmare on Elm Street in there because i think it was amazingly original)... their all remakes...

Since all the violence was in war... and acts of war like that happened... the Spanish fascism state was just as bad as the Soviets and the Germans... in terms of their methods.... I do not consider it in any means a slasher... since technically most were shot... or bludgeoned... but not... technically... slashed... hahahahaha...

Do you consider Lord of the Rings a "slasher" movie... I mean... those orcs were being killed in large numbers... 10,0000 in like 2 days? Thats genocide my friend... the whole movies about walking and genocide lol...

LorienLlewellyn

It's that kind of Nazi attitude that drives me crazy.

Are you calling him a Nazi?  

Misfit_the

xXDragon FoxXx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:15 am
I am so ignored  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:40 pm
xXDragon FoxXx
I am so ignored

They're not the same myth/fairytale  

a scawy ghost

Disappointing Movies

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]