Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Disappointing Movies
Harry Potter and its Disappointing Turnout Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kerameia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:32 pm
Hey, i know there are tons of HP fans out there, and I don't mean to ruin it for you, but i just thought the HP movies lacked the intensity and magic of the books. There were little details that drew away from the movie, from HP's eye colour (what happened to bright green? Actors can use contacts, right?) to computer effects that would've made things stand out more powerfully.
Anyways, what do you think?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:16 pm
Well, of course the movie version of any book is going to be lacking. In the case of the Harry Potter, the movies aren't great, but they're definately getting progressively better. I mean, the first two were cold and soulless. Prisoner of Azkaban is my personal favorite, because it really makes Harry's world seem real. Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix are very well done, and I can't wait to see what they do with Half-Blood Prince.

However, I think giving Harry bright green eyes would have been a little tacky. And I think adding too many computer effects to a movie detracts from the experience. This is why the later Harry Potter movies are so much more effective: they aren't magical, they're real. You get the feeling that Harry's world could be right across the pond (or right next door, depending on your location). The movies do lack the book's magic and intensity, but they definitely come close to something like it, especially in the newer ones.  

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

Sylvannas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:02 am
I don't like the movies or the books.

Not because I think they're bad, but because I absolutely hate J.K. Moneygrabbing-Rowling.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:13 am
i read the first four books ('cause i borrowed a set). never finished any of them. i got really bored when i got around 2 or 3 chapters before the end. i dunno why.

as to the movies, i can only watch them once 'cause after that, i feel like switching to another more interesting movie. i dunno. maybe it's just me?  

allmy9lives

Elegant Troll

7,150 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Bidding War 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:38 pm
I do not think that all of them were that disappointing, but Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was insanely horrid. I cannot watch the movie after seeing for the first time in theaters. I truly think they could have done much better with explaining things than having the Movie center around the Tournament.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:57 pm
I think that they truly butchered Chamber of Secrets because they left our Nearly-Headless Nick's Deathday party and whatnot.

The dementors were a true disappointment but I guess they didn't want them to look too much like the wraiths from LOTR.

There was something I was looking forward to in OotP that wasn't there and they didn't do a very good job when the twins left Hogwarts. It should have been better.

The worst thing of all is the lack of Quidditch.  

ExpendableTribbleKeeper

Callipygia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:03 am
I only watch those movies for Alan Rickman (Snape) & he's hardly in them sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:20 pm
I thought the movies were well done.
I mean, they weren't perfect.
Parts of Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets were really fake, but they followed the books a lot more than the recent movies.

I'd have to say Order of the Phoenix is the best movie out of the series so far.
And Goblet of Fire was probably the worst.

Sensation Ari

5,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200

tracer319

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:32 am
I absolutely loved the books but the fifth movie was kinda dissaspointing compared to the book.but the other movies were good.heres a little poll.do u guys think the sisth movie will be good or bad?idk wat i think but i hope its good  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:58 pm
I just stopped watching the movies after the fourth one. I did not like how it was done.  

Lightwater2520

Icamane--Hatake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:32 pm
hmmm...I have mixed opinions....

Being a huge fan of the books, I notice tons of things they left out. It bugs the hell out of me that the 5th book is the longest book and the shortest movie. lol

As far as accuracy, the first two movies kicked a**. PoA was a bit dissapointing, but OK. I think they screwed up the werewolf thing. Sorry.

GoF was good. They had good actors and effects. It was also my favorite book, so yeah......it was a good movie. 5 wasn't too bad, they just left out lots of the best parts, like the swamp. Come ON, how do you leave out THAT??? but I couldn't have imagined a better Umbridge. really.

lol, that's my opinion, take it or leave it  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:36 pm
tracer319
I absolutely loved the books but the fifth movie was kinda dissaspointing compared to the book.but the other movies were good.heres a little poll.do u guys think the sisth movie will be good or bad?idk wat i think but i hope its good

the 6th movie looks OK so far, the kid they have playing young Tom is CREEPY!!!!!!!!!!!!this is a good thing!  

Icamane--Hatake

gOtHiC_MuSiC_DeVviL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:20 pm
compard to the book totally silly but the movie producer said that the author wouldnt allow him to put to much into the movie as it may give too much away or sumthing like that?? i watched the special features on my dvds and on one of the 6 i own its on there  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:35 pm
I have SO MUCH to say.. being a huge Harry Potter fan.

In response to Kerameia:
I completely agree. The books were so wonderful and when making a movie they need to be careful about certain important details such as eye color. They even mentioned care to detail in the behind-the-scenes videos, but did not pay attention to detail. However, no matter what, movies normally are not up to parr with the books simply because when we read we imagine something in a certain way and we have SOME expectation of how it should be in the movie. Producers cannot possibly imagine what every reader imagines when they read. Over all, the movies were pretty good at capturing the same ideas that I had at least, when I was reading the books, and because they were in corrolation with Rowling, they were probably pretty close to bringing to life what she intended.

In response to xweeping_willow_treex:
I completely agree! The fourth movie WAS horrid. The book was so epic and I felt that the movie left out some very key components of the story.

In response to tracer319:
The fifth movie was disappointing too. The battle scenes in my head were so much more involved than what I saw on film. Battle scenes are so exciting too, they could have done so much with that. I also didn't feel like they did a good job of showing Harry's feelings and relationship with his Godfather.

In response to Icamane--Hatake:
I have to agree with you. The first two were wonderful mainly because of the original Albus Dumbledore. The new one.. he's a cool guy but he doesn't represent HEADMASTER to me as much as the original, more wise looking one did.

Those are just my ideas... I would LOVE any responses to them.  

srestar

xTx Monty xTx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:51 pm
I gave up on harry potter after the series ended i was like what next
and the movies just seem to change so much and keep out some of the details so im just like WTF No Dobie In the 5th movie do they know what their doing oh well but and also the fact they left out the half time show during the Quidditch World Cup Which they could have threw in as deleted scenes but they didn't so im like the harry potter Saga Done with to me
It going to be lame if they cut out the major scene of the final book in the end if they do im gonna spoil the movie for everyone else so it doesn't make any money  
Disappointing Movies

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff