Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Advice Forum
Dental Phobia! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you dental phobic?
Nope, I just get in, get it done, & get out. No worries.
41%
 41%  [ 13 ]
Kind of, I get nervous but I can get work done.
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
Yes, I'm terrified!
32%
 32%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 31

BlueberryJoy

High-functioning Cutesmasher

12,475 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:21 am
OK, I'm pretty much a scaredy-pants when it comes to getting dental work done. I avoided making dental appointments for a very long time, and now that I've managed the courage to return, I'm paying the price for my absence.

Some people are blessed with a bacteria-free mouth. They can go for decades without very much tartar buildup, cavities, or gum problems. Well, I'm not one of those blessed people, unfortunately. emo My teeth themselves are pretty good (still have the original set, ah hahah!), but my gums have been on the decline in recent years, and as a result I've needed some periodontal work.

My question is, are any of you dental phobic? I'm of the philosophy that the best way to deal with the problem is to feel the fear and do it anyway, but even though this gets the work done, it doesn't make things much easier. When I'm told I need work done like the root scaling and planing, or a crown, I'm able to sit there and get it done, but my initial reaction is usually to cry. crying Which is so freaking embarassing. And I'm unable to ask for sedation or for nitrous, because my dental office offers neither of them.

My question is, what are your coping mechanisms? What works for you?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:04 pm
Well, first and foremost, no such thing as a bacteria-free mouth. (Sorry, my inner microbiologist needed to get that out sweatdrop )

I'm not dental-phobic in the slightest, to the point where I don't quite understand why someone would be so. I mean, getting my teeth cleaned and whatnot isn't pleasant, but... *shrug*

However, have you considered looking for a dentist that does offer sedation? I know there are practices that do that (I can think of one in my area right off the top of my head), since the fear of dental work is not an unusual one.  

Karill

Tipsy Vampire

BlueberryJoy

High-functioning Cutesmasher

12,475 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:16 pm
Karill
Well, first and foremost, no such thing as a bacteria-free mouth. (Sorry, my inner microbiologist needed to get that out sweatdrop )

LOL, I stand corrected. mrgreen What I should have said was that some people luck out, in that they don't have that really destructive form of periodontal bacteria which becomes the bane of those with chronic gum problems. I've noticed that some people can get away with infrequent cleanings, and others NEED those cleanings urgently every few months to prevent tooth loss.

As to whether I've looked into sedation dentistry? Admittedly, I haven't, mostly because of my location and current insurance status/money situation. There is a sedation dentist in the area who advertises quite a bit; however, he's 30 miles away. And right now I have a mailroom-type job while I attend college. I have dental insurance which is pretty good, but most plans will not cover the sedation end of any procedure, and it ends up being prohibitively pricey if a lot of work needs to be done.

Then, y'know, there's that voice inside of me, "C'mon! Stiff upper lip, chop chop! You can do this! Shut up and stay still!" But when I see the masks go on and the sharp instruments come out, I come apart at the scenes and begin crying. gonk  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:50 pm
What I find ironic is I'm a dental tech (I make crowns) yet I have no dental insurance, so I can't even really afford to see a dentist. I never really had a phobia of going to the dentist. I just saw it as something that needed to be done, so just suck it up and do it. That's pretty much how I get through doctors appointments and the like. It's for your own good so there's no point in fighting it.  

pretty hate machine

Toxic Nymph

17,050 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Generous 100

Arkjinnahn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:27 pm
I used to be absolutely terrified of the dentist and, like you, refused to go for years. I ended up with bad periodontal problems, too.

In an emergency, I happened upon a dentist who cured my fear of the needles and discomfort. He told me that there is NO EXCUSE for any dentist to cause a patient actual "pain". Of course none of it is pleasant, but nothing should be painful or they aren't doing it correctly.

I have judged all dentists by this standard since and have dealt with it wonderfully. Some people are afraid of the noises. That didn't bother me personally, but if it does bother you, try taking your mp3 player with you or whatever you have and play some soothing music using headphones. Don't do rock n' roll (which I love) because that pumps you up and increases your senses. Tell the dentist to tap your arm or something if he/she needs to ask you something. And tell your dentist to stop what they are doing if you raise your hand. Don't take any pain. If the dentist can't numb you enough, then you will have to look for another dentist.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:57 am
First and foremost: you have already discovered the one deterrent to Dental care... Anaesthesia

The majority of dental insurances do NOT cover Nitrous or IV Therapy.

The offices will tell you this during your consultation what your out-of-pocket costs will be due to either co-insurances, copays or non-covered services. Which in a sense, Im very glad... I am more informed.

September 2007, I was referred to an Oral surgeon who had EXCELLENT bedside manners. When I went, I was placed in a room filled with family photos of the surgeon and her family. There was one photo where her and her husband were SKY DIVING!!!! OHHH MAN, it was awesome! Another photo of her and her kids graduating from College. In another room, it was her staff pictures and their families. I never have felt so warm and welcomed like this. The Surgeon believed in order for her patients to be treated right, they need to know the kind of people who work WITH her (not for her), and to share fond memories with photos means alot to her, and it shows the patients that they are just as human as the next, and that 'family' is a very important feeling to have. A feeling of belonging somewhere...

I knew this surgeon was right for me!

October 2007, I had all four wisdom teeth pulled. I had the first office appointment, showed up nice and early. Because of the kindness I had received, I treated the office staff to fresh made Banana bread...They loved it! As far as billing, I knew ahead of time, that NE Delta Dental did not cover Nitrous, and I wouldnt dream of IV sedation... I chose to go along with the traditional injection. We discussed which serums to use and what not to use. She found a mixture of two types would be a better resource so I wouldnt get the full jitters of epinephrine while driving home. And she was a WIZARD at making sure it didnt happen!

All I asked the surgeon to do, was to show me what each tool was, INCLUDING the needle. I told her that I find more comfort knowing what she was using and what it looked like before hand would help to ease the stress and trauma of this procedure. She agreed... but was worried about the needle. And rightfully so... Well, she held it behind her back. I told her "Doctor, you promised me".. she said that she didnt want to see me run away screaming because it is a very large needle.

I told her that I had been working in the medical field for 12 years and that Ive seen plenty in my time. That eased her right then and there, and she showed me... The first words out of my mouth were "OHHHHH COOL!"...

I had a party in that OR room. Everyone cracking up laughing! What little epinephrine I had in my system, I was giggling so hard. They were teasing me, I was teasing them. As soon as my mouth was numb, they asked me how I felt... I said "uhhh dont you think Im a bit numb-headed to give an answer?"... Had the Surgeon pissing herself laughing...

After (literally) 27 needle pokes, 5 saw-cuts and 20 sutures, I was done in about 40 minutes. I was so thankful for the wonderful care they gave me. Even the office staff were great! Now mind you, I was so numb and swollen and gauzed up, I wasnt able to talk... They all had already eaten HALF of my banana bread by the time I had surgery and come out. They all said 'thank you' for the treat. The surgeon came out and asked what smelled so good, they told her I brought in the bread, and she had some right then and there.... Well, that little turd looked at me with a big grin..
"ohhhhhhhhh MELANIE... OHHHHHH yummy yummy bread.. ohh it is soooooo goooood! you want some?!" LOL... I giggled hard and wrote down the word "TEASE", on a piece of paper... Well.. THATS it.. they were on the floor laughing....

before leaving, the surgeon told me "Call my office the minute you get home, I want to make sure you are ok".... I looked at her in total disbelief... She laughs again! Then she realized 'oops she cant talk, doctor's orders"... I wrote on paper "How about email?"... She said absolutely!

So I got home, emailed them right away... They replied back asking why it took so long? I emailed a reply saying "I had to fill my vicodin prescription before going home".... They replied back saying "Have a happy trip!"..

From the time I met them, to the time I stripped down back into my PJ's, they just made me feel so important, and took away what should be traumatic and made it a worthwhile experience.

So long as the Dentists/Surgeons remember that I am a human being, and that I have feelings and deserve to be treated with respect, I will never ever be afraid... I would trust that surgeon all over again if I needed extensive work...

The power of the informed patient makes all the difference. Informed also means making sure you know you are a good fit for the right kind of clinician, and that the clinician is a good fit for your needs.  

Wixandrettas

queen of qeeks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:15 am
I am the exact same way. I was always terrified of the dentist to the point where sometimes I would call that morning to cancel my appointment because I was too scared to go in. After hearing a friend at work talk about how wonderful it is to go to their dentist and blah blah blah, I realized why I was so scare to go: My dentist is evil.

He was always causing me masses of pain by slipping or not paying attention to what he's doing. So I just switched dentists. This new one is super far away, but it is so worth it. He's an absolute sweetheart, and knows I dont like work done on my mouth, so he talks to me and explains what he's doing while he works. It's so much better. Sometimes (dare I say it) I look forward to my appointment with him.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:38 pm
BlueberryJoy
Karill

LOL, I stand corrected. mrgreen What I should have said was that some people luck out, in that they don't have that really destructive form of periodontal bacteria which becomes the bane of those with chronic gum problems. I've noticed that some people can get away with infrequent cleanings, and others NEED those cleanings urgently every few months to prevent tooth loss.

*chuckles* I'm wondering if some people have oral bacteria that *eat* the bacteria responsible for tooth decay. I've noticed the same thing.

However, that's neither here nor there. *puts a gag order on the Inner Microbiologist*. I second what everyone else here is saying; if the problem is that your current dentist is causing you pain, you should seek out a new one.  

Karill

Tipsy Vampire

charamath

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:56 pm
I hate dentists. Never used to, but I had one try to rip me off and then another screw up so bad administering the numming stuff he almost killed me. He over-dosed me by 3x and accidentally put it all into a vein heading straight for the heart. After that, I stayed away from the dentist for 8 years. Went back to get my wisdom teeth removed and had 12 cavities done instead. So now I don't drink soda... But at least I had a decent dentist this time. I have to agree, a good dentist can make all the difference.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:03 pm
I agree, find a dentist who you like and who will work with you - that's the first step.

The next step is to talk to them ahead of time and tell them about your fears, phobias, and your financial situation. If they won't talk to you about this before you schedule any work, try someone else. Believe me, you're not the first frightened patient they've had. Or the only one.

I never was afraid of the dentist until I had a number of tooth issues a couple of years ago (I'm fighting genetics here), and it was less fear than anxiety about "oh, no, what's going to happen next?" I did a lot of slow breathing exercises while they were working on me then and a lot of visualization and I kept a number of interesting mental puzzles in the back of my head to think about. Distraction, in short.

This is all pretty timely as I'm sitting here still kind of sore from my crown prep and buildup yesterday. My dentist is a genius at administering the novocaine - I swear, the worst part was the topical anaesthetic applied before the needle because it tasted slightly of cherry (I HATE cherry flavoring in any form).

I also have a good relationship with my dentist because I tell them them minute anything hurts. I don't sit there and try to ignore it until I'm ready to explode - I tell them what I'm feeling early on so they have a chance to do something about it. By the way, if any doctor or dentist or nurse or whatever tells you you're not feeling what you're feeling, fire their sorry asses and find another. Because they just called you a liar, and I do not pay money to people who insult me like that.

Screw the stiff upper lip. Communication is key.  

purplewiz

Mega Nerd

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:41 pm
I used to suffer through a string of sadistic dentists. Even when I told them straight and upfront I was terrified of them - they never took me seriously or thought I was being chidish.

Because I was on medical assistance, I found a new dentist (one of the few who takes MA in ND). I probably told everyone in the office that I was terrified of the dentist and hadn't gone in 5 years mainly because of this.

I had 8 cavities filled and 1 crown put on in 10 days.

But my dentist - he was awesome! He stood over me in a way that made me feel comforted, instead of a side show. He also commented on the book I brought - my piercings - anything, really, that he noticed about me - to keep me calm. He was very grandfatherly and nonjudgmental.

I still hate the dentist - I have horrible teeth. But at least I can go in there without shaking and crying. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:31 pm
I don't think I'm scared mostly of going to the dentist, I'm more scared (and annoyed) by what the dentists might say. I've had some bad experiences in the past with dentists being judgemental and s**t about my teeth. Orthodontists too. I think they should be more open-minded and not judge people on their teeth so much and just help them get healthier.

XD The first time I went to a dentist when I was little, my mom said I screamed and cried. The dentist was this old guy who scared a lot of other little kids. It was traumatic. I think it set the stage for me later on!

Mikiba

Lil-Jo
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:37 pm
I'm not actually afraid of them, I am afraid of vomiting on them. I have a horrible gag reflex and have gagged with every trip to a dentist I have had and actually vomited on 2 visits.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:57 am
I have problems with pain. My dentist when I was a child was an idiot, and I actually felt him drill into my tooth and all he said was "We gave you enough (whatever the numbing stuff is) You shouldn't feel anything!"
What a crock.
I couldn't avoid dentists either b/c of my mom, but my dad has sensitive teeth like me (not on the cleaning, but cavaties run in my family) and told me about nitrous. I have to search for ones that take my current insurance each time it changes, but I need the nitrous. They actually have to give it to me before the needle because of my phobia of needles (flu shots are NOT fun for me).
So far, half my baby teeth were filled or capped w/o nitrous (see my hatered of pervious doctor. Lots of pain!) My adult teeth I"ve been doped up each time. I have nightmares of my teeth falling out so I can't not go to the dentist.
As it is I had to force my husband to the dentist. He didn't want to try finding one w/ nitrous, but the one he uses goes slowly and tell him to raise his hand if he feels something. 15 fillings with that method and he's fine (soda for 19 years)
Just find one with nitrous, it is cheaper then general sedating.  

Lenorecat

Malheureux
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:35 am
BlueberryJoy
My question is, what are your coping mechanisms? What works for you?

I don't mind going to the dentist... It's a necessary evil, like taxes.

Late last century I broke a tooth at work and had to have the remainder removed and replaced with one of those fakey screw-in jobs... I had an excellent dentist at the time but it still hurt like the dickens (yup, just like the dickens).

What I did to cope with the pain was think about my wife. I "removed" myself from the chair and went for a walk with her through a meadow of lillies... I know lillies don't grow like that, but it's her favorite flower and it worked.

It worked when I had my wisdoms pulled... When I had a root canal... I did the same thing each time I had to get my braces adjusted, but we went different places... to the mountains... to the desert... to the beach...  
Advice Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff