Washing Clothing Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TemporarilyIdle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:19 pm
How often do you all wash your clothes?

I give my jeans on average like 4 or 5 wears before throwing them in the wash.

T-shirts last only a day.

Sweaters last like three days.

If I go running, I sweat a crap ton, so I throw my running clothes straight into the laundry basket when I'm done.

My friend has been telling me lately that I smell like BO on occasion. I think I need to wash my clothes more often. I just don't like wearing clothes for a day, and spend that day jsut sitting around either studying or going to class. They aren't really dirty dirty, but I do realize sweat and just being in clothes dirties them a bit.

What are your ratios guys? How many wears to the wash?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:39 pm
i agree with your calculations, except i only give jeans 2 or 3 wearings before washing. Unless i'm doing something that gets them particularly dirty anyway. Maybe you just need a change of deodorant? Some do work better than others.  

Agent Ginrei

Noir Resurection

Wealthy Tycoon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:12 pm
I wear my jeans about 3 or 4 days before putting on another pair or so. Unless they got Dirty as hell then i switch them right away. For my shirts i only use them once then I put them in the was as soon as the binf fills to ay about once a week.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:05 pm
Jeans about 4 or 5. Undergarments and shirts just one time.

If you're concerned about smelling, try a different deodorant. Or get some Febreeze. To freshen the clothing. I love that stuff.

elwine

Lil-Jo
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:55 pm
My son is the king of "wear it until it can take itself off and walk away"  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:07 pm
My jeans get washed after each wear. Most of my clothes do.
Right now I'm washing clothes. gonk  

Irahatam

600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

LadyJ86

Devoted Hourglass

13,225 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Ally Up 100
  • Expert Skill 150
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:09 pm
4-5 times for jeans unless they look dirty. Too many washes can kill a good pair of jeans. Shirts once, and sweaters/sweatshirts 2 or 3. Socks and unmentionables once. Try using scented body wash and put all the smelly stuff on your skin not your clothes, it'll last longer.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:23 am
I wash twice a week sometimes more if super dirty  

ladyrose2

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:01 am
Wear slacks or jeans at least twice, everything else only once. Wash day is Wednesdays.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:41 am
From least-often to most-often:

Coat: Have your coats professionally cleaned at the end of winter. Store with tissue paper lining the body and sleaves, and think about getting a cedar block on a hook to hang from the hanger inside the coat to keep the smell fresh until the following autumn. If you get a coat horribly splattered with something nasty, of course, have it cleaned then too.

Anything wool: Clean once every ten wearings if you haven't worn it to do something really stinky, like riding horses or going to a setting in which a lot of people are smoking. If you wear wool into that sort of environment, get it professionally cleaned immediately. This goes for sweaters, scarves, shawls, anything that's wool. Actually, it goes for anything that's dry-clean only, really.

Regular sweaters and sweatshirts: Once every 4-6 wearings, depending on how they smell to you when you're fresh from a shower. Sometimes we can't smell things if we're smelly ourselves, but once we're clean, something previously acceptable will make us go, "Ugh." If it does, clean it.

Trousers and skirts: Once every 3 wearings if you're sitting home at the computer. If you're getting outside or if you're doing housework, you're sweating more, so wash them every other wearing.

Bras: These are a special case. If it's summertime and/or you're doing hard physical activity, these can only be worn once, because you're sweating and stinking. If you sit at home, work in a quiet office, or it's cool enough that you don't sweat if you go outside and run an errand without deodorant on, you can wear a bra up to four times -- just air it out overnight. This also works with a thin camisole. Febreeze will also work in a pinch, but I hesitate to recommend it, given how it contributes to air pollution.

Shirts: If it's a stay-home day, you can wear a shirt twice, particularly if the second time is when you're staying home or going outside to do manual labor. If you wore an undershirt, you can get away with wearing the outer shirt twice, unless it looks visibly wrinkled or dirty. Undershirts, do the post-shower sniff test and decide.

Underpants, socks: Wear ONCE. Some days, you'll even have to change them after half the day has gone by, or if you've slept fitfully (exercised in your sleep, that is, sweated at night).

Bath: Bath towels should be washed weekly, while hand/face towels need to be changed about every three days. Washcloths collect a lot of bacteria -- you use them, then rinse lightly and leave it wet and use it again and again -- so this should be changed after EVERY usage. That's right, I wash my face in the morning and toss that cloth, then bathe and toss that one too. Two washcloths per person per day.

Kitchen: Kitchen towels should be washed, obviously, if you get something on them. Also, if they feel damp after you've hung them to dry for a couple of hours and then go back to the kitchen, toss them. Dish rags should be changed after every use, just like facial wash cloths. Dish sponges collect a lot of bacteria and shouldn't be used at all, but if you must, change them AT LEAST once per week. Steel wool can be replaced when it starts to look like "Hey, is that a little bit of rust right there?" Plastic 'steel' wool should be discarded any time you see debris in it after rinsing. Even if you don't see debris, discard the plastic scrubbie about once every ten to fourteen days.  

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

lady leko-chan

Desirable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:49 am
i am right on with your schedule.
Unless, as most everyone else has said, the cloths look dirt/are dirty.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:07 pm
"Underpants, socks: Wear ONCE. Some days, you'll even have to change them after half the day has gone by, or if you've slept fitfully (exercised in your sleep, that is, sweated at night)."

Oh man...
Who the * sleeps in their socks?

I don't know if it's a cultural thing, but I wash my clothes (read - toss 'em in the hamper) when they're dirty. It's not about how many days I've worn my pants, but how much dirt they've accumulated in that period of time. Jeans can stay in use for over a weak when the weather allows it and look, feel and smell clean for that whole period of time.
I do not believe in the whole "avoid all bacteria at all cost!" sort of approach to life and I don't get sick, I don't look nor smell like a slob either. Your body's ability to handle bacteria and virii depends on your body's exposure to such. If a cold makes you seriously ill, then you've not been exposed to enough cold germs so your body freaks out, not knwing how to handle it. It's common knowledge and has been for centuries.  

Miniar

purplewiz

Mega Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:14 pm
Miniar
"Oh man...

In the winter, I do. My feet get cold and without socks they take forever to warm up and I can't get to sleep until they do. I have some pairs of special fuzzy sleep socks just for sleeping. They're not the same socks that were worn all day.

If you are going to sleep with socks and they are the ones you wear during the day, make sure they're fresh, clean, and dry when you go to bed. The ones that were worn all day are damp and will make your feet colder.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:16 pm
Lil-Jo
My son is the king of "wear it until it can take itself off and walk away"

So is mine. sweatdrop Ill ask him for 3 days (after Ive done the wash & once again saw non of his) to bring me the diry ones befor he turns around & askes were his clean cloths are. confused How can I wash them if I dont get them. (hes 14 & old enuff to wash them himself if he misses wash day)  

Queen Spirit

Karill

Tipsy Vampire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:19 pm
Miniar

Oh man...

My feet FREEZE in any temperature less then 90 F. So socks are a nightly requirement except in the middle of summer.

Miniar

I do not believe in the whole "avoid all bacteria at all cost!" sort of approach to life and I don't get sick, I don't look nor smell like a slob either. Your body's ability to handle bacteria and virii depends on your body's exposure to such. If a cold makes you seriously ill, then you've not been exposed to enough cold germs so your body freaks out, not knwing how to handle it. It's common knowledge and has been for centuries.

Um, the cold mutates. Constantly. Why do you think there's no cure? So, yeah, you got that nasty cold last year, but when you get it again this winter, it's not the same cold.  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff