Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
Birthday Blues Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Suede_Shoes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:52 pm
My birthday is in a little less than two months. I have got absolutely no ideas of what to do. I'll be 23 and it'll be the day after Christmas. That's the biggest problem I have with my birthday. Since it's the 26th, nobody really wants to do anything because they're all partied out or they can't because they're gone on vacation. I also don't drink, so no bars or drinking games.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:05 pm
Hallo? neutral  

Suede_Shoes

Malheureux
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:42 am
Hey fellow Cap! I feel your pain... stressed

With a birthday shortly after New Year's Day I've gotten the "your birthday is too close to the holidays" line more than once...

My wife's birthday is between Christmas and New Year's and she's been ripped off all her life too. I make sure she gets separate Christmas and birthday gifts!

I have a friend with twins born on Christmas Eve... need I say more.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:16 am
My son's birthday is in Dec. as well. My husband and I made sure the three of us at least celebrated together, separate from the holidays. If too many of his friends couldn't come for a party because of Holiday commitments, I would throw him an unbirthday party in the summer. Because it wasn't really his birthday, all the kids would blow out the candles and exchange gifts. It wasn't quite the same as his own day, but he loved it.

Sigh. You are older than him(19) and he is too old for that. At your age I really don't know what to tell you. If your friends are too busy to celebrate with you there's nothing you can do. I'll ask him and my daughter(also 19) for ideas when they get home. (Her birthday is also in Dec. but we adopted her late in life so no childhood memories.)

Amarella Harte

Veddhartha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:25 am
Twins and First of January. I've heard that line too, or rather, received unsightly many gifts with a card "Merry Christmas, Happy New Year AND Birthday!"

When I was a kid, that annoyed the hell out of me. Every one else had birthday parties and get to invite all friends there, but barely never us. For that there was two of us, relatives took the easy way out..

For celebration.. Call just one or two close friends to spend the day and night. Cook something together, crab a good movie, chill out. Just chill. My best birthdays have been just sitting on living room with a glass of wine and my another half, watching fireworks fly above city roofs.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:00 pm
Maybe just claim another day for yourself, a few days later or something. Just because it's not technically your birthday doesn't mean it can't be fun and special.  

Agent Ginrei

Suede_Shoes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:13 pm
I remember having my last large birthday at 5 years old. After that, it was as if people got into their minds,"Oh, he's six now. He's too old for parties now." I've tried having a party a few times after that, but none were very successful. My 18th was ok; I had it at Chili's. My 21st was at Pizza Hut (yeah, I know). I was at a loss because I don't want to ever touch alcohol.

Thx, Veddhartha. That's one idea, anybody else?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:24 pm
I kind of dealt with the holiday/b-day bit (my b-day is on Halloween, so not exactly the same as the Christmas/New Year's season). Maybe get a bunch of people to go out on the opening night of a movie near your birthday? I've always had small parties at home where I played games with close friends, so maybe something low-key/stress free like that would get more people to come?  

Mayumi_Yuy

mizducky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:07 am
if there is a Dave and Busters in your area, get some friends to go there with you to play some games.

have friends over for video games and pizza?

have a movie night?

well that's all i can think of right now. Have a Happy Birthday!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:39 am
not sure if anyone else has said this (im too lazy to look) but why not celebrate it after midnight..you know right after Christmas. i know there arent any clubs open or anything like that but you can at least set up a "after Christmas" party. only if you're not too tired from the previous party. you might have to make Christmas day a little less stressful and or tiring by dropping it down a notch, that way the next day, your birthday, you can have more energy and more stomach space to party hardy.  

Danamii

Sparkly Lunatic

5,225 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Suede_Shoes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:06 pm
Hey, thank you for all the ideas. Keep 'em comin. I'd like to have a list of ideas to go through. I just came up with an idea by watching Family Guy. I was thinking about an air soft war.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:00 am
Air soft! Yes! I recommend that. It should be entertaining for everyone and something that most people don't do every weekend.

Get yourself dirty and have some adrenaline boost! (Good after Christmas munching) Just be sure to dress warmly or at least move enough. Keep your feet dry. biggrin

Taking no pressure over b-day party/hanging must be the key for it. After all fuzz with celebration and gift giving people surely wish to throw their hands up and call it a day.  

Veddhartha

Taxi Mama

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:01 am
My first husband's bday was January 17th, and our anniversary was January 7th. We decided that the anniversary was a special date night (no gifts required), and his birthday was a family-only, gift-required event. Then, as soon as it was warm enough (end of May), we would have a huge cookout around my mom's swimming pool. We invited friends from both our jobs, the church, and the neighbors, and told them to bring their kids. We called it his unbirthday party, and disallowed gifts. He was VERY happy with that arrangement.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:08 am
Get some close people together (or a bunch) and have some great seasonal fun, like a giant snowball fight at midnight, or make a bunch of snowmen and create a village. Then once you're all cold and rosy, go in for some hot chocolate and settle down with everyone with blankets and have a movie night.  

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

Danamii

Sparkly Lunatic

5,225 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:50 am
go skydiving in 32 degree weather...? im plumb out of good ideas... cry  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]