Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply T3h Movie World
Oldboy remake (and remakes in general). Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Quixotic Faye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:40 am
You know how no one will ever do a remake of Gone with the Wind because it's such a perfect movie, nothing could ever do it justice?

Oldboy is kind of like that. A perfect movie to which no remake will ever do justice. But of course, being a film from Asia, it's going to get an American makeover, and we're going to get one in the form of Steven Spielberg and Will Smith. And I can't help but think the plot's going to be entirely eviscerated in favor of subject matter that doesn't creep out Americans as much as the original material would. (Trying to be spoiler-free here.) Although, I do agree with the article in that I think Fincher would be a better director for this instead of Spielberg.

So to anyone who's seen this film, what do you think?

And, what do you think about remakes in general? I'm not a big fan, though I try to give them a chance before passing judgment, Oldboy notwithstanding.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:07 pm
THE MOVIE WILL GET KILLED
Stab and raped by a black and white person
(just my thought of what the outcome be)
Oldboy can never be remade since the fact
that the movie ******** up yet catches my idea of a movie
sorry but steven gonna not stick the point and will smith is going to
kill the main character role to where ill never watch his movie again
even if they are Oscar Material  

xTx Monty xTx

Post Coital Cookie
Captain

Bloblike Loiterer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:31 pm
I love Will Smith, but I'm not a fan of remakes. If I watch a movie, love it and then find out it's a remake, it kinda kills it for me. I don't think I've seen one that ever the does the original justice.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:02 pm
Raging_Blazing_Fire7
If I watch a movie, love it and then find out it's a remake, it kinda kills it for me.

That's a bit shallow, isn't it? Changing your opinion about the final product of a film due to the circumstances of it's creation?

Raging_Blazing_Fire7
I don't think I've seen one that ever the does the original justice.

Remakes which are better than the original-

- Lord of the Rings
- The Toolbox Murders
- The Hills Have Eyes
- Ocean's Eleven
- The Blob
- The Manchurian Candidate
- Dracula (1992)
- Red Dragon
- The Departed
- The Thing
- Hunchback of Notre Dame
- The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- The Fly
- The Bourne Identity (yes, a remake of a television series of the same name, both loosely based on a book of the same name)
- 3:10 to Yuma
- Ben-Hur
- Cape Fear

Just off the top of my head, and just remakes that are BETTER than the original. I'd be listing dozens (if not, over a hundred) if I was listing GOOD remakes, even if worse than the original.  

GilAskan

The Dark Archer
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:17 pm
Raging_Blazing_Fire7
I love Will Smith, but I'm not a fan of remakes. If I watch a movie, love it and then find out it's a remake, it kinda kills it for me. I don't think I've seen one that ever the does the original justice.

I had pretty much the same thing to say! ;3  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:48 am
I don't really see a problem with remakes as long as the remake brings something new to the story, and isn't a selfish cash grab.

If I think a movie is good, I don't care if it's a remake. To debase a movie just because it's a remake is a little shallow and a little fanboy/girl-ish.  

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

xTx Monty xTx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:13 pm
GilAskan
Raging_Blazing_Fire7
If I watch a movie, love it and then find out it's a remake, it kinda kills it for me.

That's a bit shallow, isn't it? Changing your opinion about the final product of a film due to the circumstances of it's creation?

Raging_Blazing_Fire7
I don't think I've seen one that ever the does the original justice.

Remakes which are better than the original-

- Lord of the Rings
- The Toolbox Murders
- The Hills Have Eyes
- Ocean's Eleven
- The Blob
- The Manchurian Candidate
- Dracula (1992)
- Red Dragon
- The Departed
- The Thing
- Hunchback of Notre Dame
- The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- The Fly
- The Bourne Identity (yes, a remake of a television series of the same name, both loosely based on a book of the same name)
- 3:10 to Yuma
- Ben-Hur
- Cape Fear

Just off the top of my head, and just remakes that are BETTER than the original. I'd be listing dozens (if not, over a hundred) if I was listing GOOD remakes, even if worse than the original.

yea but tell me have you seen oldboy
cause if you have then you know They can't do that s**t
and if you haven't then you need to watch it
and you will know that it can't be remade  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:31 pm
xTx Monty xTx
yea but tell me have you seen oldboy
cause if you have then you know They can't do that s**t
and if you haven't then you need to watch it
and you will know that it can't be remade

I saw it twice in theaters and I own the DVD. It's one of my top 25 favorite movies.

It CAN be remade.  

GilAskan

xTx Monty xTx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:13 pm
you think america will have the balls to put in will smith as a person having sex with daughter sorry but their seriously going to kill the film
and ruin it
so it CAN'T be remade they could try but it won't succeed  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:28 am
No, I agree with GilAskan that it can be remade, I'd just rather it not. It's just weird with Spielberg at the helm and Will Smith as the star, especially since Smith is known for his rather family friendly fare (I take that back, he's more of a heroic figure).

I'd rather see David Fincher and Gary Oldman try to do this, honestly.

And that list reminds me, I still need to see Infernal Affairs. ninja  

Quixotic Faye

GilAskan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:20 am
xTx Monty xTx
you think america will have the balls to put in will smith as a person having sex with daughter

Yes, I do think America will have the balls to do it. I think Spielberg will do it for art's sake, I think Smith wants to get serious Oscar contention, and I think the only people who would remake this film are people who like it enough to remake it accurately.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:25 pm
fine then i just think they can't go original and come with their own idea so they take one that have already been made and Will smith i hope he feels bad about himself and Spielberg wouldn't be able to handle the movie  

xTx Monty xTx

GilAskan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:50 pm
xTx Monty xTx
fine then i just think they can't go original and come with their own idea so they take one that have already been made

You do know that the original film is based on a comic, right? So I suppose the original movie isn't original either, and the director wasn't creative enough to come up with his own idea so he just took one from a comic.

xTx Monty xTx
and Will smith i hope he feels bad about himself

Why? And if he does, why wouldn't the actor who played Oh Dae-Su in the original?

xTx Monty xTx
and Spielberg wouldn't be able to handle the movie

neutral

500 years from now, Spielberg will probably be looked back upon as the Shakespeare of film.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:35 pm
yea i knew that it was made from comic
but i just can't see a movie like that
with such a good art work in it
be killed by an American director and
will smith it should be left to how it was
with no remake beside it only 5 years old  

xTx Monty xTx

Quixotic Faye

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:18 pm
Speaking of remakes of Korean movies, The Host is also getting a makeover. Which is kind of LOLworthy, since it's got some anti-American sentiment running through it. They'll probably change it to a corrupt company causing pollution.  
T3h Movie World

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff