Reply 20. ✿ - - - Debating
DOOM DOOM DOOM! QUESTIONNAIRE! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Smoking Robot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:13 pm
I have to do a questionnaire about what people think of the death penalty for my law studies class... If you can, just answer yes or no for each question; you can explain why you chose your answer if you want. :/
Questions:
1. Do you think capital punishment (the death penalty) prevents people from committing crimes?
2. Should life imprisonment without parole be used instead of capital punishment in the most violent and heinous crimes?
3. Do you think capital punishment violates the 8th amendment of the constitution that protects us from "cruel and unusual punishment"?
4. Do you support capital punishment?
5. Do you think capital punishment should be abolished?
6.Do you feel the death penalty is imposed on the convicted fairly? (without regard to race, gender, social status, wealth, etc.)
7. Should convicted teenagers criminals (under 18 ) be sentenced like adults? ( To be incarcerated in adult prisons, subject to capital punishment?)
8. Do you think society should spend more money on rehabilitative prison programs, rather than just on incarceration?
Eh, I know it's dreary... -_-  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:30 pm
I have to do a questionnaire about what people think of the death penalty for my law studies class... If you can, just answer yes or no for each question; you can explain why you chose your answer if you want. :/
Questions:
1. Do you think capital punishment (the death penalty) prevents people from committing crimes?

Nope.

2. Should life imprisonment without parole be used instead of capital punishment in the most violent and heinous crimes?

Yes.

3. Do you think capital punishment violates the 8th amendment of the constitution that protects us from "cruel and unusual punishment"?

Yes.

Nope.

Yes.

6.Do you feel the death penalty is imposed on the convicted fairly? (without regard to race, gender, social status, wealth, etc.)

I don't really know much about it, but according to Cameron on House Md. African Americans are 10 times more likely to get the death penalty than whites.

7. Should convicted teenagers criminals (under 18 ) be sentenced like adults? ( To be incarcerated in adult prisons, subject to capital punishment?)

Depends on their motivation.

8. Do you think society should spend more money on rehabilitative prison programs, rather than just on incarceration?

Yes.

Eh, I know it's dreary... -_-  

eccentricanomaly

Hana Maehata

OG Gaian

8,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:36 pm
1. Do you think capital punishment (the death penalty) prevents people from committing crimes? I'd say in a good amount of cases (excluding the abnormal cases in which either the convincted was raised in a manner that would lead them to such acts or mental illness) it does help. It prays on the human natural fear of death.
2. Should life imprisonment without parole be used instead of capital punishment in the most violent and heinous crimes? It varies on the severity of the criminal. I'd prefer that mass murderers be given capital punishment, though.
3. Do you think capital punishment violates the 8th amendment of the constitution that protects us from "cruel and unusual punishment"? I do not. Though not all prison conditions are humane, the person being excecuted dies in what I'd say is a pretty mild manner. (Also, unless your teacher wrote this, I'd re-write it. It shows a lot of preference to the answer that capital punishment is against the 8th amendment.)
4. Do you support capital punishment? Yes.
5. Do you think capital punishment should be abolished? No. Some crimes are completely unforgivable, and some criminals should be rid of as they are too dangerous.
6.Do you feel the death penalty is imposed on the convicted fairly? (without regard to race, gender, social status, wealth, etc.) I'd certainly hope so. (And once again, bias. The word fairly is something you shouldn't use in a questionnaire. You know those online quizzes, where the author puts what she/he thinks of the answer you might click? Similar thing.)
7. Should convicted teenagers criminals (under 18 ) be sentenced like adults? ( To be incarcerated in adult prisons, subject to capital punishment?) If their crime is suitable, I.E. killing numerous people, then yes.
8. Do you think society should spend more money on rehabilitative prison programs, rather than just on incarceration? They should evenly distribute funding to each of the programs, and when they review it and one method has a higher success rate, slowly starting distributing more and more into that method. (Also, don't use just. Once again, bias.)  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:50 am
The Smoking Robot

Questions:
No, that was never its intent. Studies have shown that criminals do not consider the consequences of their actions before committing said crime; otherwise, they would not be criminals.
Again, no.
Punishment fits the crime. You wrongfully take anothers life, you deserve death yourself.
See above. I very much do
No
No trial is 100% fair, but it is as fair as it can possibly be.
7. Should convicted teenagers criminals (under 18 ) be sentenced like adults? (To be incarcerated in adult prisons, subject to capital punishment?)
Depends on the crime. Murder should always be punishable by death; age sex and race not withstanding (manslaughter and self-defense do not apply, most manslaughter is accidental and without malice)
Depends on the crime the prisoner was incarcerated for. Murder, rape, other heinous crimes you cannot rehabilitate someone from. Drug offenses, robbery/burglary and the like: yes.

Azameine

The Smoking Robot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:53 pm
Hana Maehata
1. Do you think capital punishment (the death penalty) prevents people from committing crimes? I'd say in a good amount of cases (excluding the abnormal cases in which either the convincted was raised in a manner that would lead them to such acts or mental illness) it does help. It prays on the human natural fear of death.
2. Should life imprisonment without parole be used instead of capital punishment in the most violent and heinous crimes? It varies on the severity of the criminal. I'd prefer that mass murderers be given capital punishment, though.
3. Do you think capital punishment violates the 8th amendment of the constitution that protects us from "cruel and unusual punishment"? I do not. Though not all prison conditions are humane, the person being excecuted dies in what I'd say is a pretty mild manner. (Also, unless your teacher wrote this, I'd re-write it. It shows a lot of preference to the answer that capital punishment is against the 8th amendment.)
4. Do you support capital punishment? Yes.
5. Do you think capital punishment should be abolished? No. Some crimes are completely unforgivable, and some criminals should be rid of as they are too dangerous.
6.Do you feel the death penalty is imposed on the convicted fairly? (without regard to race, gender, social status, wealth, etc.) I'd certainly hope so. (And once again, bias. The word fairly is something you shouldn't use in a questionnaire. You know those online quizzes, where the author puts what she/he thinks of the answer you might click? Similar thing.)
7. Should convicted teenagers criminals (under 18 ) be sentenced like adults? ( To be incarcerated in adult prisons, subject to capital punishment?) If their crime is suitable, I.E. killing numerous people, then yes.
8. Do you think society should spend more money on rehabilitative prison programs, rather than just on incarceration? They should evenly distribute funding to each of the programs, and when they review it and one method has a higher success rate, slowly starting distributing more and more into that method. (Also, don't use just. Once again, bias.)

thanks, your responses were very straight-forward!
yea my teacher did write it... :/ i don't particularly like the way it was worded, but we have to use those questions >.<  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:51 pm
1. Do you think capital punishment (the death penalty) prevents people from committing crimes? Nope
2. Should life imprisonment without parole be used instead of capital punishment in the most violent and heinous crimes? No, those crimes deserve the death penalty, that's why capital punishment is there
3. Do you think capital punishment violates the 8th amendment of the constitution that protects us from "cruel and unusual punishment"? No, because we had the death penalty even before the constitution, so I'm sure the founding fathers had it in mind when they mentioned it.
4. Do you support capital punishment? Yes
5. Do you think capital punishment should be abolished? No
6.Do you feel the death penalty is imposed on the convicted fairly? (without regard to race, gender, social status, wealth, etc.) Yes, it doesn't matter who you are, if you did a crime that is way out of hand, you shouldn't be denied capital punishment (I don't think denied is the word I'm looking for, but you know...)
7. Should convicted teenagers criminals (under 18 ) be sentenced like adults? ( To be incarcerated in adult prisons, subject to capital punishment?) Back to question six, if you can't do the time (or here, punishment) don't do the crime.
8. Do you think society should spend more money on rehabilitative prison programs, rather than just on incarceration? Not really, even if a bad criminal goes through rehabilitation and is released back into the streets, there is no guarentee that he/she will not go back to a life of crime. It could be risking lives. Look at the movie Identity, (I even think it's based on real events) you can't prove 100% that the criminal has changed his ways, there's just no way to do it!  

Esora2

GeekWhistle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:43 pm
Plenty of people still run around killing each other and doing other stupid crap (turn on the news). So nope. I don't think the death penaty does enough. They should have to spend the rest of thier lives thinking about what they did.

I think life imprisonment is pretty good swap out for the death penalty but not on it's own. I for one am completely in favor of middle-east/ some tribal-area punishments.
Example: That lady who drowned her five children? My solution: Hold her underwater until she almost drowns, revive her, repeat for every drowned child and then throw her butt in jail. When she's 500 she can leave (that's 100 years for every kid.)

Hey some of these people commit cruel and unusual crimes. (Example: BTK killer, Lady who drowned her kids, ect.) So if the punishment were to fit the crime we should be a little cruel about it. Not saying we should kill them, just that we should be harsh.

I support punishments that fit that crime, excluding the death penaty. I mentioned that with the lady who drown her kids. Another thing is if you shoot somebody to death, maybe we shoot that person in a non-vital spot, let them suffer for a minute, then save their life and throw their butt in jail, so they can think about how that feels for a while.

The death penaty should. Because that not good enough. I just think that criminals should get their butts whooped by punishment that fits thier specific crime before they get to sit in jail.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know.

Hell yah. If they know they're gonna get their butts whooped for being criminals they won't do it.

Well if everybody followed my way of thinking, half these people would never make it out of jail. Not that I'm saying they get to just sit around in jail though. Ever heard of Tent City? I support that jail system in combination with my own ideals.

Hope that helps. I'm a bit harsh I know. But if anyone would like me to elaborate on anything feel free to pm me.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:43 am
1. Do you think capital punishment (the death penalty) prevents people from committing crimes? Yes

2. Should life imprisonment without parole be used instead of capital punishment in the most violent and heinous crimes? Yes

3. Do you think capital punishment violates the 8th amendment of the constitution that protects us from "cruel and unusual punishment"? No

4. Do you support capital punishment? In certain cases

5. Do you think capital punishment should be abolished? No

6.Do you feel the death penalty is imposed on the convicted fairly? (without regard to race, gender, social status, wealth, etc.) No

7. Should convicted teenagers criminals (under 18 ) be sentenced like adults? ( To be incarcerated in adult prisons, subject to capital punishment?) No

8. Do you think society should spend more money on rehabilitative prison programs, rather than just on incarceration? No  

maxiesmom

5,650 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

die kleine Fee

5,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:10 pm

In some cases yes, but not in all cases. Some people are just nuts and don't care what'll happen to them in the end.

I'm not sure . . . a lot of people who deserve to stay in jail their whole lives even when parole is not granted at first are granted parole and end up getting out . . . and some people who don't deserve life in jail end up staying there their whole lives.

No. Death isn't cruel and unusual.

In certain cases, yes.

No.

No.

Yes. No matter what the age, punishment needs to be equal. It's too easy for kids to get off lightly because they're young and apparently have no idea what they're doing.

Well, in most cases incarceration is necessary, but I think that they should spend more time and care on rehab. programs while these people are in jail.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:05 pm
-No. The system is flawed, and people sentenced to death are given ample time in prison, where law abiding citizens pay for criminals to go through college and even run businesses.

-No. The most violent and heinous crimes deserve death. A man tortures, rapes, and the kills his daughter. Kill him. A man kills another person. Give them life in prison, but change the prison system. Again, it's flawed. They should be working for us, to pay us back for their crimes. We shouldn't have to pay for them to be there.

-No. The way the death penalty works, death is quick and takes place while the person is sedated.

-Yes.

-No.

-Yes.

-Again, only in the most violent and heinous crimes should they be sentenced to death. Otherwise, yes. Punish the little brats like adults. If they knew what they were doing, they should have to be punished.

-No. I think we should stop spending money on it period. Overcrowding? They commited crimes against decent, upstanding people. Should they be comfortable? I think not.

Before anyone jumps on me for being cruel and heartless, my uncle is in prison for the fourth time. My adopted aunt is on her way, and she was 17 when she helped steal a car, break into a house, and evade police. Their crimes don't deserve the death penalty, but I don't think they should be able to live comfortably after doing the things they did in a place where they can go to college, get easy jobs, watch television, and just be lazy all the time.  

Felt Teeth

Ayniu

Fashionable Raider

9,300 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:18 am
User Image
No

No

Yes (I'm saying technically and as a fact)

Depends

No

Depends

Not sure =/

No

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:31 pm
Ooh, fun. I love filling in questionnaires. xD

Well, it really depends on the severity of the crime. Capital punishment will probably have no effect on someone committing petty theft or shoplifting, but it would have a big effect on a child molester, or a mass murderer.

I think life is a much worse punishment, myself. With capital punishment, they get the so-called 'easy way out', but with life, they have at least 15 (I think it's 8-15 years in the UK) years of imprisonment. However, apparently prisoners get a load of junk in prison, like games consoles. And that's according to my mother, who works at a probation service. So, this question could really go either way.

Well, you have to approach this from a lot of angles. On one hand, you can't go too far with punishment, and you need to know your limits. Death would be considered very cruel to not only the sentenced, but their family and friends. However, for every cruel and unusual punishment, someone has to have done something cruel and unusual to earn it.

I have mixed feelings. On one hand, if you have committed a horrible crime like child molesting and mass murder, it's hard to find a suitable punishment. On the other hand, it's not always effective, and can be seen as an easy way out. And there's always the effects it will have on people connected to this person to take in mind.

I think it should be kept in place, but only for the most evil, violent and heinous crimes.

There's always going to be someone trying to get one killed depending on their race, sex and social status mostly, as much as there are people who will try to prevent them being killed. The world isn't a fair place, so no, I don't.

I'm really not sure about this. One part of me is saying 'They're under 18, they have their whole lives ahead of them', but another is saying 'a lot of the most violent people are young these days'.

Rehabilitation is only effective if the person in question actually shows up. If no one showed up for the rehab, it would be a waste of money. If someone was sentenced to death because there weren't any rehabilitative programs, it'd be a waste of life.

Amy Obscurite

Sensation Ari

5,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:28 pm
No.

No.

I don't think so.
If they did something to get capital punishment then they deserve it.

Eh, I'm not for it or against it.

No.

No.

I think it depends on the crime they commited, if it's not SO serious then they shouldn't be in adult prisons.

No, we don't need to spend money especially since I think most people would just go back to their ways after getting out of rehab.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:31 pm
No.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

No.

No.

Yes.

Marjosa

Sparkly Fairy

9,000 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

lolipoper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:23 pm
Eh not really... People still commit them don't they?
i think the penalties should be more brutal to scare ppl

No way Jose they did something bad and now they should die before they escape and kill more ppl

Sure

All the way

No
Yea but it needs to be done more brutally

YES!
no  
20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces