Reply Advice Forum
Any college tips? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Draconian Pheonix

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:59 pm
So I guess I'm officially a college student now. I should have my Bachelors in a year, year and a half barring any unforeseen difficulties. Since I've never been to school before I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:14 pm
You...almost have your Bachelor's...but you've never been to school before?  

Karill

Tipsy Vampire

Draconian Pheonix

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:29 pm
MMMM, nine years in the navy on submarines, they evaluated my experience and awarded me some 50 odd credits.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:10 pm
Congratulations on getting the 50 credits. Don't party too hard and make sure to study everyday. Also talk to your teachers about the status of your classes, do this esp. if your attending a smaller university.  

rocksteadyandbebop

Draconian Pheonix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:54 am
Going to DeVry so I can travel and still be close to a campus. I guess that counts as small.

Study and talk to Teachers....check  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:37 pm
Try and challenge yourself. I'm probably an oddball, but I hate my current college because the classes are too damn easy and I'm bored. It doesn't encourage much staying power if you're bored.  

charamath

Draconian Pheonix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:56 pm
Hopefully I won't run into that, I'm going to be learning stuff I've been trying to teach myself for the most part. At least to begin with. By the time I start working on my second degree tho It should be all new.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:13 pm
Don't be afraid to drop a class if you feel that you need to. You don't need to pay money to fail.  

starblazer66

4,700 Points
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Critic 0

SaturnineZero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:02 am
starblazer66
Don't be afraid to drop a class if you feel that you need to. You don't need to pay money to fail.

Also, to add onto this suggestion, don't be afraid to drop your class if you're failing. If you get an 'F', it can take years to get your GPA back up after receiving it. Believe me, I know. >_<;; Getting an 'I' (an incomplete) or dropping the class is much better than ever ending up with an 'F'.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:52 am
As long as you drop it before the deadline, or it will become an automatic fail that you DO have to pay for! Some schools, like my a*****e one, even charge half by another deadline they don't openly broadcast to catch students.  

charamath

katana68

Partying Conventioneer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:27 pm
Take advantage of any tutoring by the professors, etc. That got me through a physics class when I was working on my degree four years ago. It had been a LONG time since I had had to do any kind of higher math. In fact, my lab partner was an 18 year old who was my tutor! Without her, I'm sure I would have failed!
Also, get involved in study groups, sometimes things are more clearer when you see it from another person's POV.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:16 pm
Great advice folx keep it comming biggrin  

Draconian Pheonix

BlackCatt73

Dangerous Shapeshifter

8,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:34 pm
What ever you do, don't start if you cannot complete it. I had to begin three times, now I cannot get fin aid unless I pay for at least a year myself. If you do have to stop, make sure you let EVERY teacher know what is going on and the counselors(sp) so they may be able to assist you. Good luck and if you can last on subs for 9yrs, you should have no prob in college, lol!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:44 pm
eek how many credits does it require you to get for a bachelors?My school is about 200.Well best is to pace yourself because in college, you only have maybe 4 tests so screw up in one test you screwed up 1/4 of your grade so don't cram, couple pages a day.  

Creepy Clown Town

Veunus Rahl

Distinct Kitten

8,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:09 pm
User Image
The sweetest sounds to mortals given
Are heard in Mother, Home, and Heaven.
~William Goldsmith Brown
Go To Study groups and make sure to see your professor during office hours if you are confused, or maybe just to stop and chat it helps a lot to do so trust me!

Pay attention to anything extra the proffesor says that is not in the books or on the slide show expecially if he/sh says it more than once because it will most likely turn up on a test.

Try to do as much hands on aplication as possible, it makes it stick harder to your memory.  
Advice Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff