Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mortal Instruments Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for discussions, RPing, and generally enjoying books. Mostly Cassandra Clare's, but other's as well. 

Tags: Mortal, Instruments, Infernal, Devices, Clare 

Reply Mortal Instruments Guild
Recomendations Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

netherfreak
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:43 pm
Below you can recomend any books or authors you want and discuss them to your hearts content. I'll start, 'A Modern Fearie Tale' series by Holly Black. If you like MI, you'll most likely like this because Clare and Black did something really awesome together. If you catch it in their series, I will loves you forevas!!! 4laugh  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:12 am
Yes, the Tithe series by Black is very good.

Morganville Vampires. Set in a small Texas Town. Vampires are the villains. Fun stuff.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. This is the best book ever. It's fantastic. Normal guy gets dragged into the London Underground- the sewer city of rat people, hunters, magic, and mystics. VERYYYY good.  

[Ren The Ryoko]
Vice Captain

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

netherfreak
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:26 am
YEP!!! I LOVE Niel Gaiman! I read American Gods and haven't had time to read more of his stuff. I've heard of that book though and I'm reading it right after Coraline(yes, i've never read it, shun me now). crying  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:46 am
Yaaay I actually got the Modern Faerie Tale series yesterday! I haven't really heard much about it so I was kind of nervous whether I'd like it or not... but to hear that it's like MI makes me very happyyy biggrin

A series I really enjoy is the Gemma Doyle Trilogy (A Great & Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels, and Sweet Far Thing) by Libba Bray! Ahhhh I absolutely loved it.  

Luanneee

netherfreak
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:19 pm
I read Holly's series before MI and when I read MI I was confused cause I thought they were the sme person or something because the Seelie Court(and Unseelie) is the focus of Holly's series.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:59 pm
one such phenomenal series is the Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead, and includes--Vampire Academy, Frostbite, Shadow Kiss, and coming this august, Blood Promise. it's not technically like the MI series, but it takes a new look at the life of vampires, called Moroi, and their "bodyguards", called Dhampir, as they battle evil vamps, Strigoi.  

kari-fae

[Ren The Ryoko]
Vice Captain

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:19 pm
netherfreak
YEP!!! I LOVE Niel Gaiman! I read American Gods and haven't had time to read more of his stuff. I've heard of that book though and I'm reading it right after Coraline(yes, i've never read it, shun me now). crying

You are shunned.

Anansi Boys is amazing. Neverwhere, as I said, is fantastic. His Smoke and Mirrors collection of Short Stories is like..-droool-.
The Graveyard book is SOOO good.
And if you get a chance- Stardust.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:25 pm
Luanneee
Yaaay I actually got the Modern Faerie Tale series yesterday! I haven't really heard much about it so I was kind of nervous whether I'd like it or not... but to hear that it's like MI makes me very happyyy biggrin

A series I really enjoy is the Gemma Doyle Trilogy (A Great & Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels, and Sweet Far Thing) by Libba Bray! Ahhhh I absolutely loved it.

I ABSOLUTELY love the gemma doyle trilogy!!! libba bray is one of my fave authors and i cant wait to see wat she is gonna come out next!!  

Ultravoilet_Roses
Crew

Beloved Lunatic

9,550 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Megathread 100

Luanneee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:54 pm
Ultravoilet_Roses
Luanneee

I ABSOLUTELY love the gemma doyle trilogy!!! libba bray is one of my fave authors and i cant wait to see wat she is gonna come out next!!

i know right?? i really really hope she comes out with something again.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:26 pm
Luanneee
Ultravoilet_Roses
Luanneee

i know right?? i really really hope she comes out with something again.

AHH i know ....ima look her up n see if she workn on anything new... hehehe  

Ultravoilet_Roses
Crew

Beloved Lunatic

9,550 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Megathread 100

netherfreak
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:29 pm
[Ren The Ryoko]
netherfreak

You are shunned.

Anansi Boys is amazing. Neverwhere, as I said, is fantastic. His Smoke and Mirrors collection of Short Stories is like..-droool-.
The Graveyard book is SOOO good.
And if you get a chance- Stardust.

I read Coraline, so no more shun. And i found Anansi Boys and Neverwhere, but i could only buy one, so i bought Neverwhere and im reading it right after the book i have to read for school(Old Man and the Sea by Ernist Hemingway. A book about an ol guy and a big fish, yay)  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:38 pm
The gemma doyle trilogy by Libba Bray is pretty good.

if you are a vampire lover, you have to check House of Night series By PC Cast and Kristen Cast.  

EverydaySliverLining

3,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Team Jacob 100

worldofbooks96

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:40 pm
The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith!!!!!! And Night World by the same author. Also anything by Marianne Curley, Scott Westerfeld or John Green. Oh, and Cinda Chima's Warrior/Wizard/Dragon Heir rocks!!!!! I think everyone should read The Hunger Games, it's one of my favorites. Some easier books that I still love are the Percy Jackson books that have to do with greek mythology, Maximum Ride, and The Guardians of time trilogy. I almost forgot to mention the all important Jonanathan Stoud. He wrote a great fantasty/political trilogy (it was hard to read, at least it was when i was in 5th grade....) Another vampire book that i read a while a go was the Chronicles of Vladimir Todd and Vampire Kisses. I could list more but the list would go on and on. Wait, I have to say that if you like maga a great read would be Vampre Knight, D.N. Angel, Bleach, Tsubasa Resivior Chronicles. Ahh, and I have to suggest Blue Bloods a MUST READ!!!!!!!! exclaim exclaim exclaim (by Melissa de la Cruz)  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:10 am
if i had 2 choose something other than mi(which i rarely do, even though i own the whole twilight series), i would choose Vampire knight (Matsuri hino), Fruits basket (? perrty common manga), or miki falls (mark crilly). All either deal w/ love or vampires.  

Elizabeta_Hungary

Ace-Light

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:04 pm
I reccomend the Pendragon series. Its a Fantasy and kinda like MI in the way that the travelers,the main characters, work behind the scenes like shadowhunters. I also reccomend the charlie bone books and to those who like vampires Vampirates. Anything else i could recomend is already mentioned...except for the Gideon trilogy which i also recomend.AND the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel. All are very good. Oh and skulduggery pleasant. If you believe in scary stuff you could read the encyclopedia horrifica.If no one has said Harry potter yet thats really good.  
Mortal Instruments Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff