Welcome to Gaia! ::

Final Fantasy Addicts Anonymous Guild

Back to Guilds

"Helping" Final Fantasy fans with their addictions since 2004. 

Tags: Final Fantasy, RPGs, Square Enix 

Reply Chatterbox (Non-FF Discussion)
Chrono Trigger Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Santisimo

3,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:43 am
I am in complete disbelief that there is no topic here about in my opinion Square's greatest game

I just recently started playing this game about 2 weeks ago on meh trusty SNES and I am in complete surprise that I rather sit here and play this game rather than play a PS3 or a 360. And this is a good example that all this Hi-tech graphics 1080p crap is not really necessary in a good game, What they focused on back then was to make sure there games were fun, challenging, and have Epic Music =o

Now this game came out in 1996 I beleive... I was 3? And if there is anybody else out there who want's to show there love to this game, say what they liked, what they diden't like, and yadiyadiya  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:32 am
It's not my favorite game, but yeah, I do really like it. ^_^ I got it in Final Fantasy Chronicles (it was that, not Anthology, right?) forever ago, bus alas, haven't quite finished it... sweatdrop You know, like 90% of the other games I've played. stare

Actually, I've gotten surprisingly far in it. I'm not entirely sure how far, since my file has since disappeared without a trace, but I really ought to give it another shot...

I'm afraid I don't remember the game as well as I should, but nothing absolutely fantastic about it stood out to me at the time. I didn't especially care for any of the characters or the story itself, but they were still an awful lot better than most of the games we see nowadays... I did like the battle system a lot, anyway, and Gato is friggin' awesome.

(To be honest, I sort of preferred the style and setting and characters of Chrono Cross... but I got even less far in that, so I'm hardly a judge. Still, now you've made me want to replay it. whee )  

Ravenwolf
Captain

Friendly Werewolf

motovino

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:18 pm
EVERYBODY NEEDS TO PLAY THIS GAME.

omg, every post I read here I just keep feeling older and older. You were 3 when CT came out? 3??! Holy shite Batman.

Anyway, this game pretty much rocked my childhood, and IMHO is definitely still one of the best of all time. Even though the game no longer measures up in terms of graphics, I'm one of those that thinks 2d (especially sprites) are pretty timeless. Honestly I enjoy some 32-bit games more than what we have going on today. But again, I is the Old.

But yeah. Chrono Trigger is just massively good, and has been rereleased for DS thank god. Back in the late 90's they stopped published the SNES version, and I sold my copy for a ridiculous amount of money ($366 if I remember correctly) online. And used the money to buy a Playstation. rofl

Also Chrono Cross sucked so hard. Yech.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:33 pm
1995, actually... I'd just turned four. xd

That with the selling and the PlayStation? Massively good idea! I applaud thy thinking.

What was wrong with Chrono Cross, if I may ask? Like I said, I don't remember as well as I should, but I loved the characters...  

Ravenwolf
Captain

Friendly Werewolf

Santisimo

3,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:12 pm
Ravenwolf
1995, actually... I'd just turned four. xd

That with the selling and the PlayStation? Massively good idea! I applaud thy thinking.

What was wrong with Chrono Cross, if I may ask? Like I said, I don't remember as well as I should, but I loved the characters...

Crap I was 2 xD

Anywho, I nvr personally played Chrono Cross, But it has received very good reviews and got the very rare 10 from Game Spot, I hope to play it soon.

As for CT, What I liked the most was the whole combining skills thing to make an uber move that owns the boss, I'm preety much at the end of the game more or less and just training my guys so I don't get owned by Lavos xD

Also it contains multiple endings and pathways throughout the game... I was not even aware of this untill I read about it xD

As for the DS version I can't say, although I heard it has a new battle thing to fit the touch screen and animated cut scenes.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:46 pm
My big issue with Chrono Cross was... well, a couple big issues.

First, it felt like they were trying to do the Suikoden "OH WOWS WE HAVE 100 CHARACTERS!" thing. Which I guess could work, but it was just too big of a departure from the original cast of 7, and as a result had absolutely no character development (which was one of the biggest draws of CT).

Also, the plot was just... so incredibly hard to follow, and the pacing was horrendous. I remember at the end of the game they drop like a 50 minute narrative on you about parallel worlds and cloning and as a player you're just like "WTF is happening... and why didn't you tell me this 30 hours ago?"

And finally, I just wasn't into playing 3/4th of the game as a bag-guy cat thing.

I guess maybe as a stand alone the game would have been better-- I mean, really there was barely any connection to the original anyway. I remember the battle system being really fun and it being a pretty game, it was such a disappointment compared to CT. crying  

motovino

Soujii-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:18 am
Chrono Trigger was one of my favorite games of all time. I actually played Chrono Cross BEFORE playing Chrono Trigger, and thought that it was pretty good - until I played Chrono Trigger and found out that it was a sequel.

Then I was disappointed because Chrono Trigger was so damn awesome. Lack of individual character development, too many characters, & an over-convoluted storyline became apparent. Funny how my opinion of one game changed after finding out it was actually the sequel of another.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:52 pm
I am surprised I didn't notice this thread sooner. >,>

A few months back I heard that Chrono Trigger was hitting the DS; needless to say, I was intrigued. I had heard people talk about it before, so I was happy to get it.

I played through it with a smile on my face from the anime FMV to the end credits. Everything about it was great. I loved the combos. I loved the Toriyama designs. I loved the compelling plot!

I Loved this game!!

I've only completed one of the endings too! I didn't really touch the monster battle-thing either. Unfortunatly I moved to another game, but I can always/will come back!  

Kazuma Ishimaru

Vice Captain

Timely Advisor

Severian the Torturer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:21 am
I think the main reason I disliked Chrono Trigger was the fact that the characters looked like they were plucked out of Dragon Ball or something.
I know it's probably the same artist, but I just didn't like it all that much.

I never beat the game but it was pretty interesting, the battle system was pretty awesome, all the skill combinations and whatnot. As for the story, well... it was ok too. It wasn't as awesome as I expected from what I'd heard about the game before I bought it.

Oh and since everyone else was mentioning it, I was 7 when the game came out originally.

I should probably try and finish it sometime soon..

Chrono Cross~ <3 That's one I'd played before and recently bought it from a used game store. (the original one I played belonged to a cousin)
I thought the numerous characters that could join you in the game was awesome, I'd never actually heard of so many playable characters in a single game before. So many interesting characters~  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:31 am
It is the same artist. xd
You can't get that close without being him. (Or his understudy) He also does the DragonQuest games/mangas. (Another great series)

Akira Toriyama.

Know that name. :p  

Kazuma Ishimaru

Vice Captain

Timely Advisor

Severian the Torturer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:29 am
Haha, I thought so.
I remember reading that it was him for the Dragon Quest games, I mean in Dragon Quest VIII, the character looks like he's flying away dragon ball style when you warp. I'm pretty sure he could go Super Saiyan (Sp?) eventually in the game though. To tell you the truth, I didn't mind the art style so bad in that game, wish I still had it.

Akira! Well known movie/manga, shouldn't be difficult to remember. xP  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:09 am
I love Chrono Trigger! anyone here play the squeal Chrono Cross?  

blessedheart

Surefire Gekko

Ravenwolf
Captain

Friendly Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:21 pm
Severian the Torturer
Haha, I thought so.
I remember reading that it was him for the Dragon Quest games, I mean in Dragon Quest VIII, the character looks like he's flying away dragon ball style when you warp. I'm pretty sure he could go Super Saiyan (Sp?) eventually in the game though. To tell you the truth, I didn't mind the art style so bad in that game, wish I still had it.

I'm not really fond of Toriyama's style in general, but it does give his stuff a really distinctive look that just works for them really well. I've noticed, though... Don't half his characters look like the same people? stare Trode is entirely Namekian, and I'm pretty sure Jessica is just a recolored Marle... Angelo has got to be related to Trunks, and Goten is not Goku's son; Chichi secretly cloned her husband.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:48 pm
Ravenwolf
Severian the Torturer
Haha, I thought so.

I'm not really fond of Toriyama's style in general, but it does give his stuff a really distinctive look that just works for them really well. I've noticed, though... Don't half his characters look like the same people? stare Trode is entirely Namekian, and I'm pretty sure Jessica is just a recolored Marle... Angelo has got to be related to Trunks, and Goten is not Goku's son; Chichi secretly cloned her husband.
I personally love his style; it's not for everyone...but hey, to each their own, right?
I also love when a new game comes out with similar characters (or cross-over ones).
I can't seem to get tired of his characters, no matter how many times I see them.

Of course, I really love cross-overs. All my life. Whenever I saw a Power Ranger episode that used another seasons characters...I squee'd. I still squee when I get characters mixing in shows. (I love Cartoon Network Originals for this reason, they like to mix. whee )

...that probably has something to do with it. ._.  

Kazuma Ishimaru

Vice Captain

Timely Advisor

Ravenwolf
Captain

Friendly Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:50 pm
Kazuma Ishimaru
I can't seem to get tired of his characters, no matter how many times I see them.

Of course, I really love cross-overs. All my life. Whenever I saw a Power Ranger episode that used another seasons characters...I squee'd. I still squee when I get characters mixing in shows. (I love Cartoon Network Originals for this reason, they like to mix. whee )

...that probably has something to do with it. ._.

Haha, true! That wasn't intended to sound as negative as it probably did; it's just something I noticed. sweatdrop

Ever seen Static Shock? I loved when Batman cameo'd. It was nice in itself, but the kicker was when Static asked about Robin: "He's with the Titans."

My face seriously hurt from grinning so hard.  
Chatterbox (Non-FF Discussion)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff