Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
What do They Think of You? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:13 am
It's sad to admit, but not everyone is into anime conventions nor do they go to them. So what do they think about you? What do your parents think about you cosplaying/conventions? Your non-con friends? Who's supportive and who's weirded out? Discuss!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:06 am
Well other than people thinking I'm too old for it, thats pure bs btw cuz I know people older than me that do it, they also think I'm a ***** due to the fact alot of young kids cosplay, all the same I could care less what other people think, I do it for the fun of it and if you don't like it than to quote one of the Vice Captains from a guild I belong to "Go suck an egg"  

The Lone Wolf Jedi

3,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250

xBulmax

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:45 am
my mums a big fan of anime anyway, so she fine about it! i think if she had a little more convidence she would probably cosplay herself. my dads not really in to that sort of thing but he doesn't mind me doing it. i usually cosplay with my sister anyway. my best friends both cosplay as well, we usually all go to the cons together ^.^ i have some old friends who would probably think i was a freak if they knew i went cosplaying- but i'm not friends with them any more, so i doesn't matter XD  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:58 pm
My parents stopped asking questions a while ago. biggrin And I don't have any non-convention friends, and those that don't cosplay think I'm awesome for doing it.  

Serenity-Sama

Cheery Conventioneer

Miss_Goku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:34 pm
My parents don't mind me doing it...my dad always helps me out when I have a problem or if I have something difficult/a prop to make! Mum doesn't help out so much but she's helped me with wigs/hair before. All of my closest friends love anime and cosplay, we all go together! I tend to make cosplays for my friends too. smile It's the main reason I go now, to meet up with all my friends, since we've all gone our seperate ways. D: As for my work colleagues...I put all my pictures on facebook, so most of them probably see them. They don't really seem to mind! Some have found it interesting too. But no one as far as I know thinks it's weird!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:18 pm
My mum... wonders what the hell she did wrong to make me be the way I am. xD

...I know she's just kidding though.

.........I hope.

Candy goes B A N G

shireishou

Newbie Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:17 pm
Its so fun to get your parents agree with Ur cosplay habit
My parents doesnt support me at all. They fiorbid em to cosplay. so I must hide when I cosplay  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:30 pm
Well, most people in my school already think of me as a nobody, and I'm hardly recognized at all. p ~p
My parents.. They're strong believers in their religion, so it's hard to be passionate about anime and wanting to go to these cons and cosplay. But the more my mom sees my passion, the more she's becoming accepting. ; w; <3 It makes me happy to know that she's okay that I go to the con that comes annually in my city.
The one friend I have in my school supports my cosplaying, ever since I introduced her to anime/j-rock/manga. 8D <3 I'm a huge fan of the Japanese Culture. v //w//v~

But mostly, if it wasn't for the few people I'm close to, and my sisters/cousins, I wouldn't be supported in real life at all. ; w; <3 Except for you con-goes and anime-fans. heart I love you guys! T wT

[.Christine.]

shireishou

Newbie Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:56 pm
Ah.... my parents also strong believers. Esp my father. he really doesn't like cosplay, show of, drawing and some kind like that
y student only comment "Are U nt too old to do something like that?" lol  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:47 pm
My non-con friends either thinks its cool but would never do it themselves or just sort of ignore it.

My parents are amazing about it. Well mostly my dad. He thinks its cool and helps me out whenever I need it. All my mom says is "at least it keeps you off the streets doing drugs or selling your body." Thanks mom, really.  

burgawinosourus

Toothsome Phantom

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:38 pm
Lemme go down the list of people, since I've got a lot to cover XD
Mom-- At first she was all "Wtf is this stoopidness? Why are you wasting your money on that?" and while she's still like that and what not, she's come to respect that I like doing this and that I have fun this way. She likes that I've developed a skill from it (sewing for my cosplays) and that I involve my siblings in it too, who also like it. While she still thinks that I spend more money than necessary on it and that an almost 21 year old girl should be doing more "mature" things, she's like "Just make sure that you write on the calendar what days these conventions are so I know ahead of time."

Dad-- To this day he still says that anime conventions are like Star Wars/Trek conventions and where all the "dweebs" hang out and that we all just sit around and "eat paste." = 3= He knows it's not like that and that I enjoy going to these things, hence him torturing and making fun of me for it. He also does the occasional "when are you going to grow up?" kind of deal, but for the most part he tolerates it. Doesn't accept, but tolerates it.

Brother-- I are drawing him over to the dark side >:3 He loves these conventions and loves dressing up and getting pictures with/of people and pictures taken of his costumes. He likes planning out his costumes like a year before a con and while his main love is Naruto *shudders* he also loves Kingdom Hearts and I'm introducing to more/better anime.

Sister-- At first she was also like my dad, but she slowly is coming over to the dark side as well. She likes video games so that helps out, and while she's not too into anime, she did enjoy Death Note and Fruits Basket, so I have to introduce her to more "mature" animes unlike my brother's Naruto or things like that. She too also likes to cosplay and currently is raging over the fact that I have yet to finish her human-size Goomba cosplay >3<

Other Family-- They still to this day ask me over and over again wtf anime is and what I do at a convention and why do I dress up. But they accept it :3

Friends-- I fell out of touch with 99% of friends that I went to high school with, and the ones that I have now like anime, video games, conventions, cosplay, etc. so they're very accepting :3 ESPECIALLY AIRBORNE AND SCATTERED~ <33333

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:42 am

most of the times they would say that its so childish, knowing that you're a young adult. They would say that you should stop going to events such as anime conventions because youre no longer a child. Its sad but somehow they do not forbid me coming to conventions such as anime con. Since I enjoy this kind of gathering so they still support me in a way.

khryseis eae

Demigod

29,925 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Cat Fancier 100

SakuraRico

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:14 am
My parents ask me where the hell do I get the money for the cons, since it's 40 dollars transport and 7 dollars entrance... Plus the cosplay which is normally rather expensive (I spent like 150 dollars for my Jasdero cosplay, half the things bough off hot topic XD)

But as long as I don't cross dress again, I think my parents will be okay with it, especially since my girlfriend lives at my mom's house and she is just like me in this aspect. ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:48 am
they mostly stare at me and blink wondering what the hell, as i laugh and go on smilelying  

K-echma

Romantic Explorer

8,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Flatterer 200

Wielder of Mighty Pencil!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:58 pm
My parents don't cosplay themselves, but they like that I sew and craft my costumes. Plus we all go the Renn Faires together, so they understand the joy of costumes. biggrin

My sister doesn't care one way or the other.

All my friends are conventionheads like me! Our annual trip to AB is the high point of the year.

My teachers surprisingly love it whenever I cosplay in school. XD

The rest of the people in my school are either: A. Terrified of me or B. OMG WTF?

Salsababy, I love your avvi cosplay! <3  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces