A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 22. ✿ - - - Health And Exercise
Eating Disorder Support Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you know someone with an eating disorder?
  Yes.
  No.
  Possibly.
View Results

eccentricanomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:55 pm
User Image

THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO PROMOTE EATING DISORDERS.
I AM IN NO WAY PRO-ANA/PRO-MIA OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

An eating disorder is a mental illness.
People die from it.
It ******** with your health, ruins lives, hurts those who care about you, etc.
If you have or know someone with an eating disorder, get help.

Eating Disorder
-any of various disorders, as anorexia nervosa or bulimia, characterized by severe disturbances in eating habits
-there are several types

This thread is for . . .
--Helping people to understand eating disorders--
--Helping those with eating disorders--
--Helping those who know people with eating disorders--

Feel free to . . .
--Ask questions--
--Comment--
--Contact me--

Introduction * Types * Symptoms And Health * FAQs and Misunderstandings * How to Get Help * About Me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:56 pm
User Image

Anorexia Nervosa
--Body weight is maintained at least 15% below that expected (either lost or never achieved), or Quetelet's body-mass index is 17.5 or less. Prepubertal patients may show failure to make the expected weight gain during the period of growth.
--The weight loss is self-induced by avoidance of "fattening foods" and one or more of the following: self-induced vomiting; self-induced purging; excessive exercise; use of appetite suppressants and/or diuretics.
There is body-image distortion in the form of a specific psychopathology whereby a dread of fatness persists as an intrusive, overvalued idea and the patient imposes a low weight threshold on himself or herself.
--A widespread endocrine disorder involving the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis is manifest in women as amenorrhoea and in men as a loss of sexual interest and potency. (An apparent exception is the persistence of vaginal bleeds in anorexic women who are receiving replacement hormonal therapy, most commonly taken as a contraceptive pill.) There may also be elevated levels of growth hormone, raised levels of cortisol, changes in the peripheral metabolism of the thyroid hormone, and abnormalities of insulin secretion.
--If onset is prepubertal, the sequence of pubertal events is delayed or even arrested (growth ceases; in girls the breasts do not develop and there is a primary amenorrhoea; in boys the genitals remain juvenile). With recovery, puberty is often completed normally, but the menarche is late.

Bulimia Nervosa
--Binge Eating: The DSM-IV defines binging associated with bulimia nervosa as eating in a "discrete time period" an amount of food significantly greater than expected of normal eating habits.
--Purging: Purging is defined as "recurrent inappropriate compensating behavior" to prevent weight gain after episodes of binging. Purging behavior associated with bulimia nervosa includes self-induced vomiting, misuse of laxatives, diuretic use, enemas, fasting, and excessive exercise.
--Frequency and Duration: For a diagnosis of bulimia nervosa, episodes of binging and purging must occur at least twice a week for three consecutive months.
--Body Image and Weight Loss Attitudes: Bulimics, like anorexics, have a great fear of weight gain, and self-evaluate almost completely in terms of body image and weight loss. A bulimic has an unrealistic image of his or her ideal weight; usually well below the healthy minimum of the individual's age, gender, and height.
--Absence of Anorexia: A cycle of binging and purging is not considered bulimia if it occurs during an episode of anorexia nervosa. Instead, the patient is said to have binge and purge type anorexia.

EDNOS
There are variants of disordered eating that do not meet the diagnostic criteria for anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa. These are still eating disorders requiring necessary treatment. A substantial number of individuals with eating disorders fit into this category. Individuals with eating disordered behaviors that resemble anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa but whose eating behaviors do not meet one or more essential diagnostic criteria may be diagnosed with EDNOS. Examples include: individuals who meet criteria for anorexia nervosa but continue to menstruate, individuals who regularly purge but do not binge eat, and individuals who meet criteria for bulimia nervosa, but binge eat less than twice weekly, etc. Being diagnosed as having an "Eating Disorder not Otherwise Specified" does not mean that you are in any less danger or that you suffer any less.

COE
Recurrent episodes of binge eating. An episode of binge eating is characterizedby both of the following:
(1) eating, in a discrete period of time (e.g., within any 2-hour period), an amount of food that is definitely
larger than most people would eat in a similar period of time under similar circumstances.
(2) a sense of lack of control over eating during the episode (i.e., feeling that one cannot stop eating or
control what or how much one is eating)
The binge-eating episodes are associated with three (or more) ofthe following:
(1) eating much more rapidly than normal
(2) eating until feeling uncomfortably full
(3) eating large amounts of food when not feeling physically hungry
(4) eating alone because of being embarrassed by how much one is eating
(5) feeling disgusted with oneself, depressed, or very guilty after overeating
Marked distress regarding binge eating is present.
The binge eating occurs, on average, at least 2 days a week for 6 months.
The binge eating is not associated with the regular use of inappropriate compensatory behaviors (e.g., purging,
fasting, excessive exercise) anddoes not occur exclusively during the course of Anorexia Nervosa or Bulimia Nervosa.

Introduction * Types * Symptoms And Health * FAQs and Misunderstandings * How to Get Help * About Me

eccentricanomaly

eccentricanomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:56 pm
User Image

Note: These are only some symptoms and health problems. Not all people have them, and some aren't even listed here.

All Eating Disorders
Isolation
Depression
Anxiety
Low Self Esteem
Lack of energy

Anorexia
Sudden loss of weight
"Decreased" appitite
Fear of food
Fear of gaining weight
Anemia
Perfectionist
Pale skin
Dizziness
Fatigue
Low electrolytes
Dehydration

Bulimia
Fear of gaining weight
Constant hunger
Anxiety about food
Anemia
Low electrolytes
Dehydration

COE
Constant hunger
Constent eating
Weight gain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:57 pm
User Image

eccentricanomaly

eccentricanomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:02 pm
User Image

Something Fishey is a good website for information about EDs.

These are the hotlines:
1-800-931-2237 (USA)
0845 634 1414 (UK)

If you think you have an eaitng disorder or if you think someone has an eating disorder, GET HELP.
They are NOT something to mess with.
They kill people.

Tell someone you trust.
Seek therapy or some form of treatment.
There's eating disorder clinics around.
Go to one.

There's several forms of treatment.
Residental Facility that you stay at for months with a group of other people dealing with the same thing. This is usually the "last resort" because it is time consuming and costly.
Inpatient Facility that you stay at for a few weeks. There's some hospitals that have units strictly for eating disorders, but if there's not one around, you usually go to a regular psychiatric clinic.
Partial Inpatient A group program that's during the day.
Intensive Out Patient A group program that's usually about three hours long.
Therapy Talk therapy, basically.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:06 pm
User Image

I was diagnosed with Bulimia Nervosa when I was fourteen. (2007) Before that, I had some issues with depression and suicide and all that.
I was put on prozac, which made me lose my appitite so I lost a lot of weight. I was taken off of it, and then the binging started. I didn't like the feeling of being full, so I started purging. I had purged a few times before this, though, but it wasn't excessive.

I purged every day. Sometimes twice a day. A few months later, my parents noticed, but never really did anything about it, so I continued. I didn't want help, nor was I ready for it.

In August, I was put into an eating disorder program. I was completely against it. I didn't want to let anyone in. I didn't want to start eating "normally" again. The first thing I did when I found out was going was running (literally) to CVS and buying a bottle of laxatives. I cooperated with the program. It wasn't like I was sitting there refusing to eat and throwing fits, but I refused to open up, and I refused to stop binging and purging. My parents weren't really supportive about anything . . . Like, yeah I had the opportunity to recieve treatment, but they weren't really involved in it . . . Didn't show up for family therapy, NEVER, EVER talked about it, etc. Basically, if they don't think about it, hear about it, see it, etc., they could pretend my eating disorder didn't exist.

I left the program and continued with therapy. I had an amazing therapist, but in June the next year, she thought it was necessary for me to go inpatient. I was at the hopsital for a week and a half. I didn't purge, and I ate normally, but again, I wouldn't open up, so they discharged me. I went back to my old therapist, but I was only with her for a few months before she told me to stop seeing her. I've been out of treatment ever since.

My bulimia's not as bad as it used to be. I don't purge every day, and I rarely binge. I'm medically healthy, but I don't eat as normally as I should . . .

That's basically it.
Left out a lot of detail, but I'll answer questions and such.

eccentricanomaly

eccentricanomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:15 pm
reserved

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:44 pm
OPEN

eccentricanomaly

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:05 pm
Hmm.
I think it's a good idea to have this sort of thread...

I personally don't know anyone (or at least am not aware of it) that has one of the main eating disorders, but I myself have been accused of being anorexic.
It's not true, of course. I definitely enjoy food, especially junk food. ;P

I understand why, though. I've been depressed for over three years now, and the past few months I've quite honestly almost totally lost my appetite. I can still eat (sometimes), but either I have no taste for anything or I literally gag on the food. It's harder to eat when I'm stressed or when bad things happen at home, so if something bad happens one morning before school, there's little to no chance that I'll be able to eat at lunch. Only a couple people *really* know what's going on, and my best friend is getting into the habit of asking me what I've eaten that day when we talk, and instructing me to go to the kitchen right before we get off the phone.
As a result of this... whatever it is, I've lost a lot of weight. It's not all that bad, since I was slightly chubby, but it's honestly disconcerting.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:47 pm
I was accused of having Anorexia.
I'm very thin, even now, and I know my friend's worry, but to be honest, I'm just not very hungry anymore, unless food is put right under my nose.
And I'm a bit embarassed that when I start eating, that I like to eat until I'm full.
I eat a lot. Just not in front of my friends.

In the town I used to live in, when I was a kid the other kids would steal whatever I had.
I don't know what they did, but I didn't get it back.
Then they'd tease me for being so tiny and small and weak.
I'm sixteen now and that was roughly four years ago.

I guess I just don't think about being hungry most of the day.  

RosesFallingLikeRain

Desirable Businesswoman

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200

Seawicket

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:52 am
yay! thread looks great eccentric!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:45 am
Good job on the thread! Very informative. I'm also here to answer any questions. I'm too lazy to write up my whole story, but I have had anorexic tendencies. I guess you could call it EDNOS, since I never got thin enough to be classified as an actual anorexic.  

Randomly Ridiculous

6,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100

whatagirlwants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:56 am
I would like to provide emotional support and prayers(to those who want them, I will not pray for you if you ask me not to). I have considered starving myself to lose weight as well as using laxatives but I have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and both messed my system up. So now I'm losing weight by eating right, exercing, and keeping accountable. I also knew a girl that was in my youth group that had anorexia. She would brag about how little she ate and was sooo thin, then one day she quit coming to youth group. We had a memorial service for her and had a series on body image. She had 2 friends who had developed eating disorders and they didn't die but they quit coming for a while I think they went to rehab or something.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:28 am
The whole "weight limit" for anorexia always pissed me off.

It makes it seem like you HAVE to be underweight to actually be suffering from an eating disorder.

But it's soooo not the case.

You can be eating disorder, and have the zillion of health problems that come with the disorder, and still have a "normal" weight or even be "overweight".

But it seems to be discouraging people from getting help. Or there's some people who are all like, "I'll get help when I'm skinny enough" or things like that.

It pisses me off.

And then people say, "But you're not skinny enough to have an eating disorer!"

Ugh. Eating disorders happen at any weight. Not just the underweight population.  

eccentricanomaly

22. ✿ - - - Health And Exercise

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces