Submit

Indy1969

Excitable Strawberry

22,275 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:10 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Why can´t we simply accept anyone´s belief without killing each other?
What do you think about it?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:14 pm
I’ll erase this feeling…
I still have a long life don’t I?
kono omoi wo keshiteshimau ni ha
mada jinsei nagai deshou?
Minor correction but Ba'hai is considered an Abrahamic faith. It's not neccessarily pagan, nor is the symbol the Pentacle. It's actually the nine-pointed star. Not the 5 pointed star.
I’m missing the feeling…
so this pain is also welcomed!
natsukashiku naru
konna itami mo kangeijan

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Lieutenant Shotgun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:21 pm
You make it seem like your some saint climbing out of the rubble.

Anyway, this is the DEBATE thread. We're DEBATING.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:11 pm
Lady:
You´re totally right, the "I" of this word is somewhat failed.
The Bah´ai is a monotheistic religion, while the Wicca believe in two deities (a Goddess and a God) and Pagans believe in no god at all.
The graphic is somewhat failed in this point...well, I have not made it.
I only wanted to talk about the basic idea of it.

Shotgun:
I don´t want to missionize you, I´ve asked for your opinion about it.  

Indy1969

Excitable Strawberry

22,275 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Healer 50

_Karmilla_Dresden_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:14 pm
I totally believe in peaceful coexistence with all religions. smile I wish everyone else did too; maybe we'd stop having religious crusades.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:42 pm
Because there are a lot of things to consider when asking someone to accept all religions. How do you reconcile living with beliefs that contradict your own to the point where the fact that they exist disgusts you? How do you make your peace with that without diluting your own beliefs?

Canada has had its model of multiculturalism attacked because other nations believe our openness to the Other causes home-grown terrorists. Denmark, a notoriously open-minded country, is trying to suppress Islam because they feel that Islam can't adapt to their level of open-mindedness.

What happens to human rights when we are open to all possible forms of belief? In the case of an outright clash, is the right to freedom of religion more important than other rights, or do we override beliefs for the sake of other rights? Which rights are more important?

How can we reconcile our differences? I've been studying identity for years now, and I don't know. I've read the theory, I've had the discussions, I've written long research papers. I don't know how we can make it work.

Give me a practical model.  

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:00 pm
Actually you're incorrect, pagans believe anywhere from one deity to many deities. They just don't believe in YHVH who is the Abrahamic deity.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:16 pm
As great as a thought of coexistance is, it's nearly impossible until people stop thinking of themselves as indepentant from one another and something totally special or unique.

We will always fight for our beliefs when someone doesn't share the same ones. As people as a whole--or overall--seem to think what they believe is correct. And they aren't wrong, different strokes for different folks. But accepting one another on such a large scale is impossible. But, with individuals not so much...  

Hester Peche

Perfect Genius

Indy1969

Excitable Strawberry

22,275 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:17 am
I don´t think it´s impossible to tolerate each others belief.
We simply have to agree on basic principles saying that everyone has the right to say his opinion freely, but noone has the right to attack another for having another opinion.
Killing for religious reason is simply considered as a crime like killing for any other reason.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:21 am
Indy1969
I don´t think it´s impossible to tolerate each others belief.
We simply have to agree on basic principles saying that everyone has the right to say his opinion freely, but noone has the right to attack another for having another opinion.
Killing for religious reason is simply considered as a crime like killing for any other reason.

But you are forgetting the basic human right of an opinion and not every one is going to agree with people freely expressing their opinons...and since they have their right to an opinion, they are allowed to attack others for having another opinon.

And in some cultures it is okay to kill for religious reasons, you cannot say it's a crime if it's not always a crime.  

Hester Peche

Perfect Genius

Miekka Kuoleman

Witty Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:31 pm
This would be where the saying "If you have the right to reject my reality then i have the right to reject yours" collides with what you've said. It's not a matter of why don't we, it's can we? People outside of religion with little to no actual understanding usually see the fighting as stupid between different religions. I'm a Christian and i strongly believe that religions will never actually coexist. To be honest with you it actually says in the Bible, there will never permanent peace in the world until Kingdom come. (meaning not until Christ returns)

As well, it also says "If you are a follower of Christ you will be hated and persecuted." meaning (and this actually kind would go with any religion) no matter what there will always be some one that hates you simply because of who you are.

To coexist would as well mean going against what is preached in the Bible. Which says to not deny Christ with your life, meaning words and actions. It may be true that the Bible says to love one another but it also says that any one who is not a follower of Christ is an enemy. Despite if we are not fighting, we will not coexist forever. At one point or another war will break out again.

Lastly, sadly there is always at least someone who does not see eye to eye no matter what is said, because no one thinks in exactly the same thought process. This makes it impossible for human kind to coexists with different beliefs, which only opens another argument and question. Should there be one religion enforced or should all religion be stopped? but that is for another time and place.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:59 am
"If you have the right to reject my reality then i have the right to reject yours"

That´s right, if you mean by rejection, that one says that the other´s belief is wrong. This is freedom of opinion.
But it does not give anyone the right to force another to accept a religion as his own, or even killing him for having a wrong religion. Freedom also includes the right not to be threatened by any others.  

Indy1969

Excitable Strawberry

22,275 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Healer 50

Kaiyle Brightblade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:01 pm
Well its good with me. But I think the problem is that many belief systems are completely at odds with other belief systems. A Catholic may try to convert others because he wants to save them from eternal torment in the afterlife. Maybe someone thinks that letting other people believe in a different deity is equivalent to condemning them to hell and they have a moral responsibility to "save" them from a "false" religion.

No offense to anyone who is Catholic. I do not mean that all Catholics try to convert peope. This was just an example.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:07 am
as lovely as it may sound it is a delusional idea. Here's why.

People tend to believe in their faith system whole heartedly and tend to believe that their faith is the truth. most of these faiths teach that all other faiths are wrong. Some of these faiths teach that those who do not believe must be destroyed while others teach that they need to be converted. Religion cannot coexist unless everyone believes in the same thing. Because if you believe something to be true then you are going to try convincing others its true even though they are fully convinced that what you are saying is not true and conflict breaks out. However no religion actually teaches that war is the will of God this is merely misinterpretation or twisting of holy writings for ones own will.  

whatagirlwants

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:08 am
froggymama89
as lovely as it may sound it is a delusional idea. Here's why.

People tend to believe in their faith system whole heartedly and tend to believe that their faith is the truth. most of these faiths teach that all other faiths are wrong. Some of these faiths teach that those who do not believe must be destroyed while others teach that they need to be converted. Religion cannot coexist unless everyone believes in the same thing. Because if you believe something to be true then you are going to try convincing others its true even though they are fully convinced that what you are saying is not true and conflict breaks out. However no religion actually teaches that war is the will of God this is merely misinterpretation or twisting of holy writings for ones own will.
I’ll erase this feeling…
I still have a long life don’t I?
kono omoi wo keshiteshimau ni ha
mada jinsei nagai deshou?
Except not everyone don't see their religion as truth or go based on holy writings. Much of what they believe ranges from UPG to even CPG. To the mysteries the experieince. To the rituals they perform. Even if people believe something to be true it is only true for that person. Not to everyone else. Truth is how we perceive things. However others may perceive truth to be different thus why truth of religion or truth of Pantheons is only a subjective matter. It does not nor should it apply to everyone else. To state such generalizations is intellectually dishonest and also ignorant. neutral
I’m missing the feeling…
so this pain is also welcomed!
natsukashiku naru
konna itami mo kangeijan

20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items