Reply 20. ✿ - - - Debating
Text talk in schools... Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Lacrimosa]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:10 pm
Many schools have been encouraging teachers to allow students to turn in their homework and/or essays with text talk. My mother is a teacher in a middle school and has had many students attempt to turn in school work with text talk on it. She promptly hands it back and gives them zeros, of course. But she gets a lot of grief from those students, saying that they saw on the news that so and so school lets their students turn in their work with text talk.
What is your opinion of this?

Personally, I'm appalled. I am outright disgusted that instutions meant to better our youth's minds would encourage illiteracy amoungst them. The disregard to gammar and spelling and basic English syntax is just.... it's appalling, is what it is!
Anyways, discuss.
Text talk in schools...s**t like that.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:22 pm
I remember in my old high school kids would turn in school work using text talk. My mom is a teacher there so I'd see it all the time when she'd bring home papers to grade. The school doesn't encourage this, though. I find it embarrassing to share the same generation as these idiots.

But more on topic, I think it's ******** stupid that schools would encourage this. I thought you go to school to learn. But instead schools are encouraging ignorance and stupidity? That's extremely sad. I'm so glad I'm done with school. I can honestly say that the public school system ******** me over enough, the last thing I need is being encouraged to write like a freaking moron.  

Rei Uchikino

ThornySinger

2,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:36 pm
Wait... Are you serious? Please tell me you're not.

Writing properly is a lost art. I call it a lost art because so little people seem to be able to do it anymore. Look at books! You don't read books that have text talk in them. Why should essays be so crappy nowadays? Just imagine an assignment when you need to write a letter:

"hey Amy, whaazup? hey look i got into a lil trouble. can u meet me @ 2 at my place? thx cya!"

...*screams* Ah!! No! No! No! I refuse! Ahhh! Writing is fun if you can pick the topic. Then, you can have fun writing about it. I know. I tried. It's not impossible. >.< School makes it boring sometimes.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:57 pm
I'm disgusted with today's youth. They need to pay more attention in class and they need to stop butchering the English language.  

Matron Mord Sith

Sora Nightwhisper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:04 pm
i can't stand it when people speak in text talk let alone write in it X(  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:05 pm
Are you ******** KIDDING ME? At my school if we used text talk we'd get an instant F.
People my age should be able to write properly! D: < If I can do it so can everyone else!

Sensation Ari

5,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200

Summer Kagome

200 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:06 pm
User Image

I think my school encourages that, it's so sad. As if text talk on the internet wasn't bad enough. If I were a teacher and saw an essay, like, say..

so like the cat in da hat wuz a good book becuz it rimed and da cat had a hat n so da cat went 2 a hom were dese 2 kidz wer bord and so da cat playd wit dem.

I saddened myself just typing that! D:

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:07 pm
I fixed it.
Grammar is just as important as spelling.

Sora Nightwhisper
I can't stand it when people speak in text talk, let alone write in it!

Sensation Ari

5,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200

Xx-Musicaholic-xX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:09 pm
I hate when people turn in papers with text talk. Personally, I'm very formal when I text anyway. I can't stand informality. My mom is also a teacher, and she would be completely disgusted if she got papers like that. My English teacher hates when people use text talk on assignments. It's completely idiotic that schools would encourage text talk. That pisses me off so much. Schools are supposed to push students forward with learning, not hold them back with encouraging text talk. Completely sick.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:10 pm
God, what is with today's youth?

I'm disgusted at even the slight prospect of it. Kids need to suck it up and just pay attention in English instead of texting to their friends during class.

Schools shouldn't allow for that sort of thing. I mean what's going to happen when they get to college? College proffesors don't stand for that kind of thing.  

Hester Peche

Perfect Genius

Darkfire.Equine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:12 pm
I've done my best to distance myself from text talk and to my eternal gratitude, my school is helping. Text talk is the best avenue to a failing grade and should be reserved for text messages only.
Maybe it's because I am possibly the only teenager left in North America who doesn't have a cell phone, but I can't see how speed outclasses intelligence. (Huh... it seems we have this same problem in drivers...)

Pay attention in your English classes, kiddies: you might learn how to write properly and like a functioning member of society if you're not concentrating on that bloody phone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:13 pm
Hester Peche
God, what is with today's youth?

I'm disgusted at even the slight prospect of it. Kids need to suck it up and just pay attention in English instead of texting to their friends during class.

Schools shouldn't allow for that sort of thing. I mean what's going to happen when they get to college? College proffesors don't stand for that kind of thing.

I hate when teachers ban phones because some people don't know when the right time to text is..
I'm in 10th grade and our school banned phones for the most part. In the classes we're allowed to have them, our teachers have spelled out when it is okay to text and when it is not. If we break that rule, phone is confiscated. It's not hard to see that if a teacher is lecturing or explaining something, DON'T TEXT.

Sensation Ari

5,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200

Matron Mord Sith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:55 pm
As a college student, I find it irritating when some nub is hammering away on their damn phone while I'm trying to pay attention to the lecture. Its so disrespectful to the professor.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:02 pm
User ImageUser Image

Yesh, I have something to say.

Ugh! Kids at my school turn in work like that all the time! And most of the time I'm their partner. So yeah, I'm stuck working with stupid little kids, who can't spell anything but:
Lol, dat iz liek sooooo fnny! Lmao!
Seeing this burns my eyes, it makes me so mad I could spit. I actually almost cursed a teacher out, because I kid who does that, but worse was my partner.

I guess we'll never know, because I forgot.

iDorkosaurous_Rex

Randomly Ridiculous

6,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:15 pm
That's ridiculous. There's a time for talking like that, and it isn't at school. I abbreviate words and phrases when texting, but I know that when I'm at school, or when I'm doing anything where I'm trying to look professional, I can't write like that. And teachers shouldn't be allowing them to turn their work in like that. It's not going to help them when they're filling out job applications and won't get hired because they can't spell.  
20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff