Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply -------- Cosplayers
Do you cosplay in character? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How in character are you when you cosplay?
Not at all
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
I'm only in character for skits
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Sometimes, it's fun :D
67%
 67%  [ 90 ]
Character? I predict a 99% probability that I am L. :|
24%
 24%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 134

TheBladeSeeker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:07 pm
I've seen topics for smaller things like certain tips or how detailed cosplayers like to be, so I thought a topic like this would be okay. ^^

Anyways, I was jut curious to see how popular 'being in character' is to my fellow cosplayers. biggrin

As for myself, when I cosplay, part of the fun for me is kind of channeling that characters spirit in a sense, so I have fun speaking in character I'd say about P percent of the time.

For example, if you approach me and address me by the character I cosplay as, I'll probably play along and speak to you as they would, unless the conversation shifts otherwise. Likewise, if you approach me and adress me by the name on my badge, then I'll just speak to you normally. I think it's good to have balance, seeing as having people TOO in character as I've seen can get irritating. But I also think that people who cosplay and look bored and have no energy are a little irritating too, because to me part of the cosplay is presence and attitude. biggrin I mean it is cosPLAY amirite?

Lemme know your thoughts. surprised  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Unless my friends ask me to stop, or it's an uncontrollable reaction, I'm 100% in character. For my upcoming Mukuro Rokudo cosplay, I'm even practicing to get down the "kufufufu" laugh just right.

it's part of my whole obsession with EVERY minute detail with my own costumes.  

Glacirus

5,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200

TheBladeSeeker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:29 pm
Glacirus
Unless my friends ask me to stop, or it's an uncontrollable reaction, I'm 100% in character. For my upcoming Mukuro Rokudo cosplay, I'm even practicing to get down the "kufufufu" laugh just right.

it's part of my whole obsession with EVERY minute detail with my own costumes.

Ahaha! I'm the same way, I try to perfect myself so that when I do speak in character I'm as spot on as I can be! XD

Like when I cosplayed Cody Hackins I memorized his poses and reactions in the game so I could repeat them when people spoke to me. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:34 pm
@Glacirus: Yay, another Reborn cosplayer <3333

I'm going to be cosplaying Lambo in a week so I memorized his "Lambo song" in Japanese and have been practicing his crying sounds and little child-like voice x3
I've already been told I'm going to be picked on by my friends, so it'll be easy to act like a cry-baby with their abuse XD

salsaplant

GO

Hoshi no Miko

Distinct Member

5,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:42 am
Well when I am in private with my friends, I am generally myself. However, when someone asks for my picture, or I am walking around the convention grounds, I try to be as "in character" as possible when I am cosplaying. I would say that it's 75%/25% split for me, 75% being the time I try to be in character. I have to admit though, it doesn't really bother me when cosplayers are "out of character" when they're cosplaying. I mostly like to see their costumes, and admire the work they've put into it.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:44 am
I do as much as I can. I won't so much for Yuki but that'll only be because I'll forget and get all excited over stuff. I do my best, but when my personality is drastically different from theirs, I'll forget from time to time.  

Pearlescent Priestess

Bashful Healer

18,200 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Battle: Cleric 100

Saint of Swords _SoS

600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:53 am
Sometimes, when the timing and mood is right.
Like when I cosplayed Gokudera (since we have some KHR cosplayers here anyway lol) a Bianchi came up to me to say hi and I just clutches my stomach in 'pain' and 'fainted' on the floor lol.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:19 pm
Well its really easy 2 stay in character 4 me. SInce most of my characters are the silent type. Such as K' from King of Fighters (even though when he does speak he curses in the anime). I am usually myself though when spoken 2 depending on the conversation and if the other person is Rping.  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

rachniqueen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:34 pm
This, "being in character", is one of my pet peeves. I mean, it's okay to slack off a bit. But not to at least try and act like the character you are?

Maybe it's just me? - because I love acting and whatnot.

I enjoy staying in character, it's fun and moves your convention much easier.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:33 pm
When I went as Grell it was pretty easy to stay in character. It didn't matter if I got spazzy and excited because that really fits his personality, but even then I liked to take a lot of his characteristics and apply them while at the con. I think it'll be just as easy when I cosplay, because I tend to be somewhat like him as well. Actually, it'll probably be easier than Grell.
I think it's tons of fun to cosplay in character, because then it makes the whole transformation complete - you completely become the character.  

Kurenai-Shinju

Myopsida

Demonic Dabbler

9,475 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:39 pm
I try my best to, though I have a lot of trouble with serious characters. Less serious characters are my favorites. I like spending a few weeks before a con to work on accents. Still working on that Georgian, redneck accent for next week.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:47 pm
-Blow Out Your Eardrums-
I try my best to, though I have a lot of trouble with serious characters. Less serious characters are my favorites. I like spending a few weeks before a con to work on accents. Still working on that Georgian, redneck accent for next week.

Yeah I get what you mean XD;

Last year I cosplayed Hiei at a con, while it's fun to be in character, and with him being a favorite character, I wanted to do my best. Unfourtunatly, it's pretty hard, since I'm a pretty spirited and outgoing guy, luckily I managed to pull it off, aha. I guess I enjoy acting a lot too.

Then the next day, I cosplayed Cody Hackins, so basically I got to be loud and get in touch with my inner kid more than usual and in that sense I had a blast. I had fun with both characters, but getting to be more yourself while doing so makes it a lot easier! sweatdrop

I also need to work on my accent for my Kurt Wagner/Nightcrawler cosplay D:  

TheBladeSeeker

Sci-Fi Harry

Feral Dog

19,225 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:05 pm
I like to stay in character if I'm hanging around people who are cosplaying from the same series I am and when people ask for my photo.
It's much easier for me to stay in character when I cosplay happy, hyper, straight-forward, and annoying characters like Sealand from Hetalia, but it's so much harder for me to act like a nervous, shaky, usually quiet or more serious character. XD

I'm seriously worried about being in character when I actually get around to cosplaying as Haine from Dogs this summer. >> It'll be easy to act Gynophobic, but his other character traits and poses will be difficult.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:15 pm
I'd say it's much more fun to cosplay if you're in-character... It helps you with pictures, and isn't it more fun for anime fans if they get to interact with a character they admire/like, rather than someone in a costume saying 'hey, I'm just dressed like this'?

I guess I might just get a little too into my own cosplays, though ^^; For Rip from Hellsing, I memorized a rather long monologue and learned to sing opera in German... Not really sure what all I'll be doing for Rider at the upcoming con I'm going to, but I'm sure it'll be... uh... let's go with 'interesting'  

whitewingedcrow

Sonjion

Winter Seeker

14,975 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:08 pm
When i cosplsy as someone i believe it's important to know that character and do everything you can to BE that character. I'v been Reno from ff7 for a few years now. I've i even cut and diyed my hair for AnimeExpo last year. Sometimes you just can't help yourself.  
-------- Cosplayers

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff