Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
So Kosai is going Vegetarian.... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

~*~
View Results

Kosai Avonej

Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:36 pm
Well Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian technically, I'm not cutting out eggs or dairy since I'll be using those to get protien and I have some multi-vitamins. I thought I would give this a try, since this stuff is probably healthier for me then any of the meats that are on the market.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:49 pm
So, you are cutting out other animal products? Otherwise, dairy fits under Vegetarianism.

Though, I have read that the harm of a lot of red meat is the fat that it contains. Thus, buying grass fed (and free range if you want, I guess), which isn't "marbled" with fat like corn fed beef, is suppose to be pretty fine. Of course, I don't know if they tested that or if it was just a theory.

Good luck. I doubt I could do it.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:21 pm
Yeah, I only buy meat from local farmers, but that's mostly chicken. I only buy red meat a couple times a year.
But I have some awesome tofu recipes if you want them. 8D  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:21 pm
Thanks for your support, you people are far more supportive then my mom was when I told her over the phone. 3nodding  

Kosai Avonej

Elder

diffun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:25 pm
I keep wanting to go back to being a vegetarian.
But I get worried about getting sick again / putting back on a whole bunch of weight as I never bothered with supplements, and my body hated me for doing that for about four years or so.
I think it will be better (personally) for me when I can organise a transition period. I need structure.
xD

However, I think it’s awesome that you’re doing it.
My brother’s still one, and he lives off carbs (bread, pasta, rice, etc.) – not advisable, obviously.
xD

This is a great thread and has links to sites, info and such.

And also, be careful with cheeses if you're planning on also avoiding retin and stuff.

Good luck!
:D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:19 pm
I've been considering vegetarianism myself for a LONG time. I'd like to stop feeling guilty every time I eat meat, but I LOVE CHICKEN. crying

If I didn't love chicken so much, I'd be vegetarian right now. I'm thinking of gradually phasing out meat until I am comfortable with not eating it at all.

If you wanna swap recipes or anything, feel free to PM me! smile

Conan The Barbie Doll

comfylove
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:45 pm
It's actually healthier to eat meat (perhaps with the exception of pork) so long as you get it organic.

I'd never chose to be a vegetarian to be healthier. Meat is way too delicious.

Besides, like Ghetto said, it's not good to live on only carbs. It's actually worse for you than eating tons of meat.

Free range and grass fed meat is very good for you. I periodically buy it and it comes with no fat (because if it came with fat, then I'd be sick since I can no longer process fats) and it tastes wonderful.

I also wouldn't be opposed to substituting elk for beef. Elk's lovely.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:53 pm
I'd think depending on what he chooses to eat, it could be just as healthy as eating organic meat.
And, it'd be waaaaay cheaper.
Organic meats are way too expensive. I think one around here was like $8 a pound. Pfft.

@Conan
Do you know if you have any local farmers near you? You can either go to a farmer's market or call places to see how they raise their animals. Locally grown animals by small farmers seem to be more likely to be treated better. Some farms will let you go there and actually look around. That way, you know they at least live a nice life before they were killed.
Of course, it's more expensive, but I guess you can cut down on your meat, and just get the chicken when you really want it?
Well, unless the death of the animals period makes you feel guilty.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:42 pm
Yeah seriously. We can't afford to buy meat, aside from a roasting chicken which lasts a week. XD; I mean, the bad stuff is even on the expensive side. D:
But meat substitutes are expensive too. We live off of the chicken, beans, eggs, and tofu for protein, since I can't eat cheese.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:07 pm
I don't eat red meat because it's not digested properly. As long as you ensure you have enough protein and iron you should be fine. There is only one grain with complete protein called quinoa. And while it tastes horrible it's digested properly unlike red meat. It's tricky but if you're careful and maintain a high level of good vegetables you'll feel good. C:

Also the info in this thread is a little incorrect. The term for the diet of no animal products is a vegetarian. The term for having no animal bi products IE: milk and eggs is vegan.  

Mezri

Millionaire

7,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elocutionist 200

WildfireChild

Invisible Hoarder

19,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:35 am
Congrats Hun!

As a Vegan for ... god its been almost 6 years now. Not eating meat is a piece of cake. Its really surprising how simple it is once you start.

I am much healthier then before and my vitamin levels are actually much better then when I was a meat eater. Last year, I was tested and the Doctor said that all my levels were perfect including my iron levels. I had issues with my iron levels before I became vegan. I also have much better control of my allergies. I don't take any supplements other then a weekly B-12 pill just as a precaution since its hard for both Meat eaters and Vegetarians to get a good supply of B-12. I use Nutritional Yeast for a main source of B-12.

Now as for the not getting enough protein that people often talk about.... This is a massive misconception. Protein is in most plant based foods and they are at a good ratio for you to get the proper amino acids. I always find it funny that people think that you cant get enough protein from plants yet you are relying on an animal that had to eat plants in the first place to get their proteins.

Anyhow its just a matter of eating a balance of many different foods to get enough carbs, proteins and fats.

If anyone is curious I switched to Veganism purely for one reason. I will not be responsible for the suffering and death of animals. Good health has been an awesome bonus.

I could go on and on about this subject so if anyone is interested recipes or websites or more info feel free to PM me.  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:07 pm
I've been thinking the same thing lately. I'm fat, I know it and the things I've been finding out are horrible. I don't know if i can completely give up meat though.

But there are alot of things that I've tried that are vegetarian, that are amazing.

More power to you. I see alot of people going vegetarian now. Good luck =]  

MsBritt

Conservative Millionaire

6,700 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200

coldheartedangel

Omnipresent Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:07 pm
GL <3

Myself, i couldn't do it. I struggle enough with keeping my iron levels up. Mind you, i only eat red meat maybe once or twice every few weeks xD
I just can not pass up a good scotch fillet.  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:10 pm
What the heck is a scotch fillet? Is it some special secret Scottish preparation of steak? Do they put haggis and whisky in it? o_o  

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

HungryManNY

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:00 pm
Not fun, enjoy the 4th of july.  
The Suites

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items