Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Ideas & Suggestions
"easy" cosplay Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is L(from death note) an easy cosplay (read post first)
yeah! You just throw on a shirt, and throw on some pants, and throw on a wig and: BAM! cosplay!
35%
 35%  [ 35 ]
its in the middle somewhere.
31%
 31%  [ 31 ]
Very difficult: it takes a true expert to get this cosplay right!
15%
 15%  [ 15 ]
Impossible cosplay. 'nuff said.
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
.....Orange Chicken??
15%
 15%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 98

damaged-reality

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:48 pm
Somthing has come up to my attention: "easy" cosplays

People look at, for example, L (from Death Note, an amazing Manga btw), and they see the plain white shirt and the plain blue jeans and the lack of shoes, and think: "Hey, this is an easy cosplay! I should do this!"

If you want an easy cosplay that still looks good: don't try L, PLEASE!!!! People think that its easy and they think that they will be able to still look good, but L is a very hard cosplay! If you do L, you need to do the hair right!
L's only characteristics that pop out are his ridiculous hair and dark depressing eyes.
So if you do L, know that your costume will not look good unless you do the hair correctly. If you don't plan on your cosplay being good/you don't really want to try but you still want to cosplay as him/ you don't really care, then go right along and Cosplay as L. But if you want to loog good as L, then know that you will need to devout an entire day to styling a wig, or somthing!

*sigh ok, moral of the story: L is a difficult cosplay.
actually to make my point clearer, he is a somewhat easy cosplay; you just can't underestimate the hair, dudes (or gals for abundance of female crossplayers)

so discuss:
cosplays that people think are easy, but often do not come out well  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:18 pm
Anything from Naruto. Well at least a lot of characters from Naruto people make quick crappy cosplays because they think it's easy. Same thing goes with Naruto. The only time the costume looks amazing is if the cosplayer is a devoted fan and knows what their doing.  

burgawinosourus

Toothsome Phantom

Glacirus

5,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:38 pm
To quote Uncle Yo's Death Note Rant:

"Death Note Cosplay is a cop-out. Light? Brown jacket, slacks, black book, pen. L? Take off your shoes. Your halfway there. White long-sleeve shirt, and baggy blue jeans. The only thing separating L from K-Fed is sleeves. Misa? Pigtails. And Hot Topic."

I agree, that it's the low road for cospaly. There ARE some really good L's and DN cosplays out there...but the majority I see are lazy failures.

Same goes for Bleach/Naruto/any other over-done cosplay. People see it done soooooo many times that everyone tries it and the majority, FAIL  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:43 pm
I agree. If you're going to cosplay, try hard on it. And what gets me kinda angry is when crappy cosplayers think their's is the best of the best. Now, I'm not saying I'm god at cosplay, but I tyr my hardest and they come out pretty damn good. Cosplaying isn't something that you can do in two days time. It's something that takes at least a week or so if you want it to be a dfinitely good cosplay. I've been working on my Roxas cosplay for a month or so now, and I have yet to get the costume finished.  

Roxy-bear1216

damaged-reality

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:03 pm
Roxy-bear1216
I agree. If you're going to cosplay, try hard on it. And what gets me kinda angry is when crappy cosplayers think their's is the best of the best. Now, I'm not saying I'm god at cosplay, but I tyr my hardest and they come out pretty damn good. Cosplaying isn't something that you can do in two days time. It's something that takes at least a week or so if you want it to be a dfinitely good cosplay. I've been working on my Roxas cosplay for a month or so now, and I have yet to get the costume finished.

I'm not talking about trying (though I totally agree that everyone should try), I'm just saying that people think that this cosplay will be easy, so they become lazy and it turns out horrible... but then they STILL think that its a good costume!! If they acknowledged that thier costume was bad, then I'm ok with it. As long as they realize that they did not try, and it turned out as a failure, then its ok. But if they think that thier costume is good... well that's when I have a problem.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:49 pm
damaged-reality
Roxy-bear1216

I'm not talking about trying (though I totally agree that everyone should try), I'm just saying that people think that this cosplay will be easy, so they become lazy and it turns out horrible... but then they STILL think that its a good costume!! If they acknowledged that thier costume was bad, then I'm ok with it. As long as they realize that they did not try, and it turned out as a failure, then its ok. But if they think that thier costume is good... well that's when I have a problem.

Well that's the same thing. If you don't try, you're lazy. I just don't get why people would want to ruin a good character..  

Roxy-bear1216

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:02 pm
I think most over-popular animes are pigenholed as "easy" costumes because you can basically buy it offline and be done.

Any costume can be difficult if you put the time and effort into it. C:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:34 am
Honestly I don't think it's an easy cosplay, given that there are already real life representations of the character in the DN movies that have set the bar somewhere. This really makes it harder for the cosplayer to insert his/her own interpretation of L, without looking " off" I don't really know how to explain it. It's just harder to get the "correct feel" of the character once there has already been an official, rl figure for it.

Plus there are so many cosplayers doing L. The challenge is not really to get the cosplay right in terms of outfit and props (I don't think it's as complicated as doing.... say, final fantasy characters for example), but to make it convincing and stand out of the crowd of 7 other L cosplayers at the same convention. In that sense, it makes the cosplay all the more difficult.

The same goes for most "easy" or popular cosplays, I think. The simplicity of the outfit makes plenty of people wanna give it a shot. Simple outfits also makes people focus on character accuracy, which is imo, harder to get than outfit details. ><

[Kirimasu__]

Shirtless Capitalist

No_Pun_Intended

Alien Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:53 pm
Agree!
At the last con I went to, I saw, like, ten L's and only saw ONE of them in character. Hell, one of 'em was jumpin' around, swooning over pretty boys and playing Red-Rover.
(Off topic, Red-Rover is fun in cosplay. I like randomly starting games of it. ouo)

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:58 pm
"Simple doesn't mean easy, and easy doesn't mean simple."  

Empresss Spiral

Strawberry Skank

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:29 pm
Scientifically Erotic
Anything from Naruto. Well at least a lot of characters from Naruto people make quick crappy cosplays because they think it's easy. Same thing goes with Naruto. The only time the costume looks amazing is if the cosplayer is a devoted fan and knows what their doing.

Naruto cosplays are hardly easy. e__e I almost cosplayed Sakura and for the longest time I had no idea how I was gonna try and make that freaking dress. Those outfits have so many details and the hair... God, the hair. I'm glad I ended up deciding to cosplay one of the animals from Naruto than one of the actual ninja. XD  
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:16 pm
User Image

You would think Easy looking cosplay, the Witch from Left 4 Dead. It's amazing how hard it really is. most people just buy the stuff at wal-mart and it's such a pain when you make your own, color your skin, get the right color hair and what not and making the claws. Also getting the shirt right. I have seen several witch cosplayers not have the right hair or have the completely wrong top.

Anyways, simple looking cosplays are always the hardest because you have challenges such as:
-Other cosplayers with store bought poor quality items
-You have to find the details that point out the quality of the character in appearance as their looks and not actions.
-Then the hair. Wigs are your friends!

Ashta Nightrayne

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:58 pm
Don't forget about Radical Edward from Cowboy Bebop. If you wanna see a horrible Ed cosplay, check my profile XD! I thought it was easy. Black shorts, no shoes, white sleeveless top, wacky orange hair, and goggles. I just grabbed random crap from my closet  
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:52 am
anything easy for bleach?  

kiropterain1

Malevolent Gatekeeper

5,050 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Wall Street 200

The Lone Wolf Jedi

3,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:47 am
kiropterain1
anything easy for bleach?

Characters that are not wearing the normal outfits, ie, Soul Reapers in regular clothes when they are in a gigai, find some random outfit, put on a short white wig and BAM! you're Toshiro and the only different looking visored is Mashiro so all but her can easily be done  
Cosplay Ideas & Suggestions

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff