Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Raising money, cutting expenses, etc. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

hirochan28

5,700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:33 am
I'm trying to set up a trip with my friends to Anime Next in June. I was wondering, do you guys have any good ways to raise the money we would need for hotel rooms/food/entrance fees? Or, anyone know any cheap hotels around Somerset that are nice and not crap? I don't really have time to get a job before then and make money that way......

Also, anybody know a good way to get a chaperon for this? (we'd have to pay for their room as well).  
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:52 am
I suggest going with an older friend of yours to tag along. It's better that way! It would lessen the awkward moments. Also, it'll be much more fun seeing that your friend chaperone, assuming that he or she likes anime too, will enjoy with you guys! If you don't have an older friend, maybe you have some online buddies that could help you guys out with room accommodations and stuff like that!

3nodding

I have no idea where Somerset is or how much stuff are in America. Sorry. );

If you need money, you could babysit, run simple errands and force your parents to pay you (HARHAR! I do it all the time!) or sell your stuff. Clean your room and you might find a few dollars here or there!

3nodding

Sorry if I wasn't super helpful. D:  

Tsunji

Empresss Spiral

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:10 am
My suggestions would be a lot like Chrysanthemum's suggestions..

Work your a** off.

When I need money for cosplay, nothing- and I mean NOTHING (unless it's illegal)- is too low of a job for me to do. I've turned in cans before, because I was in desperate need of money.

It's almost spring and summer, so if you are willing to do yard work for people you know...
Well, Anime Next takes place around New York, so you may not get as much yard work...
But once summer hits, I'm sure there will be babysitting jobs.
If you live in a more rural area, like a town instead of a huge metropolis, try a garage sale. One year, my friends and I collected random crap from everybody we know, and set up a huge garage sale two weekends in a row. We made like $150.... Not much, but it helps.  
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:17 am
Thanks for the ideas, guys!

I think I'm gonna sell some stuff. I have a Yugioh deck with some super rare cards, I'll take that to a gaming store to see how much I can get. Thanks for reminding me about garage sales! I forgot that I was planning one in early June!

My friend who's going has some older friends that I'm gonna see if we can ask about the chaperon thing.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

hirochan28

5,700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Sadistic Rainbows

1,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:24 am
I'm saving up money for tickets to Inochicon and my Roxas costume. Babysitting has been the best bet for me. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:54 am
hirochan28

I think I'm gonna sell some stuff. I have a Yugioh deck with some super rare cards, I'll take that to a gaming store to see how much I can get. Thanks for reminding me about garage sales! I forgot that I was planning one in early June!

My friend who's going has some older friends that I'm gonna see if we can ask about the chaperon thing.

Glad to help :3
If I was allowed to buy that stuff online, without my mom freaking about me wasting my money, I would so buy the Yu-Gi-Oh deck from you...  

Empresss Spiral

hirochan28

5,700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:05 am
Empresss Spiral
hirochan28

Glad to help :3
If I was allowed to buy that stuff online, without my mom freaking about me wasting my money, I would so buy the Yu-Gi-Oh deck from you...

Ah, too bad. hmm....Do you know how I could get a rough price for it before I sell it? I mean, like so I don't get duped. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:13 am
I wouldn't know. D: Hrm. Try looking up the prices in e-bay? :3 They sell booster packs here for 6$, and I think one booster pack has 5 cards. Or.. Something. ; 3 ; Agh. Sorry. I can't recall much! D:  

Tsunji

chobits_chii123

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:16 pm
I'll second (third? fourth? eh...) a motion above and say, garage sale!~
I made over $200 over two weekends by clearing out my room and (maybe a bit hesitantly) selling crap I found. My mom was happy that she could see my floor for the weeks to come too...she even paid me an extra five dollars for every big tote full of stuff I packed up to sell. XD
Aside of that, around my town people are always looking for "odd jobs", so be sure to take advantage of those! It's obviously not winter so you can't shovel snow, but think about looking around for short-notice delivery jobs or something? :3

As for cutting expenses...as a teenager I found that extremely difficult. sweatdrop I've seriously cut down on spending money on myself, and to limit my spending further I ask my mom to put my money in a checking account under my name, but she can only take it out. She'll only take it out, too, if I tell her it's to pay my phone bill or buy something for Youmacon. That seriously helped me stop spending as much of the money I earn. xD;  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:31 pm
I'm in the same situation as you. A-NEXT, and like no funds for me at least.
I stayed at the Garden Inn last year, but be warned- I think there are bed bugs there. Not too bad though. It was pretty cheap, especially since I stayed with a friend and her mom to divide the prices. Groups are key to getting cheaper.  

cuvier

Fashionable Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200

tokkitoria

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:27 pm
Have a yard sale, or take games/clothes you don't need to stores that give you money for it. That's what we did. Also, the more people who go the more people you can split with. Therefor, the less you as an individual have to pay. Try to get as much people together as you can to go. Lastly, SAVE SAVE SAVE! If you have a problem saving money, put it somewhere or give to someone you trust who won't let you touch it until the con. Out of sight out of mind is a good policy. I find money in my wallet gets spent faster than money in my bank account.

As for hotels, places like Best Western are best over the Doubletree(part of the Hilton chain). Doubletree is geared to commercial parties, Best Western is geared to actual low-budget visitors. Try to see what hotels are within walking distance.  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:39 pm
Yard sales and babysitting are good ideas, so see if you can do those. Also try asking your parents if they know anyone that needs things done, like pet-sitting, house cleaning, etc. If you have good organizational skills, maybe see about organizing people's garages or something for a bit of money.

...Boy, all this sounds good if you live in a city that actually has people in it. Now, does anyone have any advice for money making for those of us stuck out in the country and can't get jobs? XD

Unlucky Phoenix

chobits_chii123

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:08 pm
Unlucky Phoenix
...Boy, all this sounds good if you live in a city that actually has people in it. Now, does anyone have any advice for money making for those of us stuck out in the country and can't get jobs? XD

I know, I know!
When I was littler and I lived in the country with my cousin, we'd go around the neighborhood on the weekends and help people with outside jobs - we got pretty good chores to do year round, that's how farm country is...
Then again, it may have helped that we were kids and wanted candy from the store that my uncle always went to and everyone in town knew that. xD; That and people had livestock and animals, including my uncle, so we'd go around and groom horses and gather eggs and stuff. :3  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:19 pm
Save up, every penny counts, return cans and bottles, sell things that you don't need/want, holiday cash, job. All that in the like.  

burgawinosourus

Toothsome Phantom

Unlucky Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:18 pm
chobits_chii123
Unlucky Phoenix

I know, I know!
When I was littler and I lived in the country with my cousin, we'd go around the neighborhood on the weekends and help people with outside jobs - we got pretty good chores to do year round, that's how farm country is...
Then again, it may have helped that we were kids and wanted candy from the store that my uncle always went to and everyone in town knew that. xD; That and people had livestock and animals, including my uncle, so we'd go around and groom horses and gather eggs and stuff. :3

I only have about five neighbors, total. Yeah, I'm that much out in the sticks. Anyway. One neighbor has their own army of children to do their bidd--I mean chores, one neighbor is antisocial and I'm convinced he's a vampire, one neighbor hates us... I don't think the guy next to us has any work for me to do, because all he does is field work with large tractors, and I don't think he'd allow me to drive one. XD Though I could ask if he needs any help around the house or anything. Aaaand, the last neighbor is this really awesome old couple that I would hate to take money from. D:  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff