Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
I'm officially pissed off. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bull
  s**t
View Results

Bored4Life57

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:42 am

So apparently, in order to receive financial aid at the school that I want to attend, I -have to- be registered for selective service, which, in case you don't know, is a polite way of saying the draft. That was a hell of a run-on. I don't care. They are blackmailing people into registering for the draft, which this country "doesn't have." I can't go to college -anywhere- if I don't get financial aid. I can't afford it. But I'm starting to wonder just how free we really are. This country is really quite ******** up. evil

Discuss: Who wants to move with me to a deserted island in the middle of nowhere?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:55 am
Wait, what country? Unless something has changed that I didn't hear about, all males are required by law to register when they turn 18 in the US. (Which is a load of crap, I know.)  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Bored4Life57

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:03 pm

Quite true. And I -am- registered. But UNCW for whatever reason seems to be under the impression that I am not. But that's beside the point. I can't even get financial aid if I'm not registered? I got $17,500 in scholarships and grants to another school. No draft registration required. I'm just pissed. A friend of mine got financial aid for UNCW and he's not registered yet. Ugh. It's just stupid.

Also, The U.S. is not supposed to even have a draft. We have more than enough people who volunteer for military at this time. We are not supposed to have the draft unless it's a time of military crisis. And whether or not this is a time of military crisis is up to personal opinion.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:09 pm
Those who get their IDs after age 18 are automatically signed up for the draft I thought. o.o At least, that's what happened to my brother.  

Adorky
Crew

Eloquent Demigod

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:10 pm
You have to register to the Selective Services which compiles a list of people who can potentially be conscripted, and apparently the names are used for recruitment purposes.
But it is not a draft. The US does not currently have a draft, from what I understand. Rather, this list is created just IN CASE Congress and the government needs to order a draft. Thus, they don't have to waste time trying to get everyone to register so they know who they need to pick.

While I think forcing everyone to register for a possible draft is a little silly, I personally see perfectly fine reasoning behind not giving financial aid money (from the government, I mean. XD Not private grants and scholarships) to those that chose not to register and break US law. I don't believe they give money to those that have committed serious crimes either. So, why should the government give money to people who are currently breaking law and may have no inclination to discontinue that?

I don't know. I see it personally. If say one of my roommates break the rules that they agreed upon by living the in the apartment, would I then turn around and give her money or gifts or anything other than what she rightfully deserves as a human? Probably not. Why would I? xD

And if your friend got financial aid without registering (and he is over 18 and a month), then he either got lucky with an error, didn't get it from the government, or lied somehow. XD FAFSAs are suppose to come back with errors if the person didn't register and should have. o:  
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:11 pm
And suddenly, I am so proud and happy to live in the UK.  

Yaoinaut

7,700 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100

Bored4Life57

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:20 pm
yaoinut
And suddenly, I am so proud and happy to live in the UK.

=jealous= I would like to move to Germany. I think it would be nice.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:57 pm
While it's understandable for them to deny financial aid if you don't register, it seriously sucks that you did and they think you didn't. DX I hate crap like that, when you do everything right and you end up having to do extra work to make up for someone else's incompetence.  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Yaoinaut

7,700 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:15 pm
I think I avoided a lot of issues with my loans, by technically not taking any loans. All I took was the maintance grant, around £3500, to last me each year.  
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:34 pm
Come to Ireland! We get interest free tuition fee loans and income based living cost loans, with no obligation to join anything. You'd get to hang with me and yaoinut too, and that's just awesome. As long as you bring Dris with you! ;D

~Nya-ha!~
blaugh

AquilaLiberum

epic failtastic

9,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:15 pm
It'd be faster and easier to run up here to Canada. We barely even have an army. And our schools are cheaper.  
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:23 pm
Aquila15
Come to Ireland! We get interest free tuition fee loans and income based living cost loans, with no obligation to join anything. You'd get to hang with me and yaoinut too, and that's just awesome. As long as you bring Dris with you! ;D

~Nya-ha!~
blaugh

I'm gonna have to go with Qui on this one. But only because Ireland has Smithwick's. And some other good great beers.

Dris would disapprove. I'd be drinking with you all the time. xD

Bored4Life57

Den Dristige Djevelen

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:35 pm
Bored4Life57
Aquila15

~Nya-ha!~
blaugh

I'm gonna have to go with Qui on this one. But only because Ireland has Smithwick's. And some other good great beers.

~*~

Well, technically, you're legal across the pond, so I can't disapprove too much. But I will take pictures of the inebriated situations you and Kyle get into. twisted
And plus, I'LL GET TO SEE KYYYYYYYYYYYLLLLLLEEEEEE

~*~

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:48 pm
Den Dristige Djevelen
Bored4Life57
Aquila15

~Nya-ha!~
blaugh

~*~

Well, technically, you're legal across the pond, so I can't disapprove too much. But I will take pictures of the inebriated situations you and Kyle get into. twisted
And plus, I'LL GET TO SEE KYYYYYYYYYYYLLLLLLEEEEEE

~*~

Are we there yet???

Bored4Life57

Kosai Avonej

Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:08 pm
Selective Service my a**, more like "Okay we're going to have a war now and send you off to your death. Thank you come again."  
The Suites

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff