Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Eyes Wide Shut - Art post, wtf? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:48 pm
I uploaded my photos onto Facebook last night so I thought I'd share with you guys (:

It's been 5 years since I've painted and actually enjoyed it. Since everything kinda went bad in my final year of school, I just haven't been able to do anything that I've enjoyed or think is good. I just lost all inspiration and passion to do anything artistic, really. Everything felt forced and I hated it, so I stopped.

But this idea came to me last week, and I just had to do it. It feels so weird, I actually wanted to paint again, and when I did it made me really, really happy. And I did it faster than I've done everything else xD I was so excited I couldn't stop, lol.

Basically it's about the eyes being the window to your soul, but I don't want anyone to see in. You can't really see it in these photos, but there's closed blinds in the pupil, and it the right pupil there's a person peeking back out through the blinds. But I kept them very dark because I wanted it to be a minor (but the most important) detail and didn't want it to distract from the rest of the painting, because that's how it is - people just see me and my eyes and face, and don't see the minor details like me trying to block them out and not wanting them in my life xD

Very inspired by Trent Reznor's "Where is Everybody?", particularly the second verse. I've chopped a little bit out and written it in a way that reflects this, I think:
"All I'm really doing is trying to hide, and keep it inside. Open my eyes? Maybe... I wish I could try."

Kay enough deep and meaningful, more pictures xD
The progress:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Aaaand for an idea of the actual size:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:10 pm
That's really pretty, I dig it. And you can totally see the blinds, It rocks.
She/you also, has/have really good eyebrows.

Renard Muldrake

Clean Capitalist

6,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:11 pm
Awesome! x3
Did you use acrylics?
I haven't painted in 32084823094832 years. I quit entirely, but I don't really know why. I didn't do anything again until I started doing digital painting. And, oddly, that style is totally and completely different than the style I painted in with actual paints. XD With actual paint, my stuff was a lot more... impressionist, I guess? Along the lines of Van Gogh, not Monet. XD
I can't see myself picking it up again though, unless I somehow manage to become rich and have lots of free time. XD;  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:42 pm
Oh wow, I had no idea you were a painter! o.o

It's really beautiful! I see the blinds. I think both the concept and the execution are wonderful. 3nodding It's really great that you found inspiration after all this time. =D  

Mouzi

4,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

Den Dristige Djevelen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:35 pm
~*~

That's amazing, Lici.

~*~

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:01 pm
User Image
Mister Maurice + xXXxHeart2HeartxXXx
December 12, 2009 [Anniversary]

So does this make Lici a Goddess? eek

MisterMaurice

Conversationalist

Renard Muldrake

Clean Capitalist

6,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:09 pm
Mister Maurice
User Image
Mister Maurice + xXXxHeart2HeartxXXx
December 12, 2009 [Anniversary]

So does this make Lici a Goddess? eek
I'd already assumed she was one.
The Goddess of Totally Hot Artsy Foreign Chicks Who Work on Cars.
It's a mouthful, isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:35 pm
That is amazing. surprised heart  

Intoxikace

Sparkly Wench

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:57 am
Renard Muldrake
I'd already assumed she was one.
The Goddess of Totally Hot Artsy Foreign Chicks Who Work on Cars.
It's a mouthful, isn't it?

Lol! I think that should be my new facebook status xD
And thanks for the compliment on my eyebrows xD

Szen: Yeah I used acrylics, I didn't think oils were the right thing for this. Especially since I watered the colour down so much. I wanted it to be more black and stuff and just did the colours in a wash. I think I used more water than paint on it xD
That's similar to me, actually. I'd quit entirely and switched to digital (for work reasons). I never thought I'd paint again, so maybe you might too (:

Mouzi: Yeah I didn't tell many people, I think I used to post some of my stuff here waaaayyyyy back, but I pretty much gave it up 5 years ago. Thanks so much (: I'm glad I found inspiration again, it felt so good to express myself in a creative way again.

Dris and Intoxikace: Thanks (: <3  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:24 am
Oh s**t that's awesome! I didn't know you where so talented!
When you said you where going into graphic design I was a bit confused as I'd never ever seen you post any art... now I see why that wasn't an issue for you xd

I'm not sure I could art on a media that doesn't let me ctrl+z  

scrub
Crew

Renard Muldrake

Clean Capitalist

6,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:34 am
You're welcome Lici, I'm a fan of a good set of eyebrows.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:06 am
scrub
Oh s**t that's awesome! I didn't know you where so talented!
When you said you where going into graphic design I was a bit confused as I'd never ever seen you post any art... now I see why that wasn't an issue for you xd

I'm not sure I could art on a media that doesn't let me ctrl+z

Thanks man (:
Lol, I guess I hadn't really shared my "talent" with anyone because I really didn't like doing it anymore for ages there. And because I didn't like doing it, everything I was doing was s**t, so I didn't consider it a talent xD
I've always said, there's no point in doing a degree in graphic design, because you can't learn creativity. All you need is to learn the programs and industry standards xD Which is why when people in the industry hire, they want to see a portfolio - your creativity, not degrees.

Not having ctrl+z is a pain, yes ):

Renard: Thanks xD They take a lot of looking after to keep them under control D:  

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:26 am
I love it. <3
I've been wanting to at least try painting, but I'm not sure if I will or not since I have no clue where to start. I've been thinking about taking a Painting I class instead of Drawing V.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:26 pm
I've never used oils, and I've had people turn their noses up at me for using acrylics. Of course, they were pretentious assholes, so I didn't care. lol But still glad whenever I see other people doing awesome stuff with them. :3

Pain, you should. o: Painting is a very different experience from drawing, I think. :3  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:50 pm
PainfullyVivid
I love it. <3
I've been wanting to at least try painting, but I'm not sure if I will or not since I have no clue where to start. I've been thinking about taking a Painting I class instead of Drawing V.

Thank you (: <3
I think you should just start where feels right. It depends what style you want to do, I think. Like I started with just black and white for this because I only did the colours as a wash and didn't want it to be a full on painting.
Give it a go, you can always paint over your mistakes (:

Szen: Yeah a lot of people seem to think they're better because they use oil. I've used both, and they both give different effects. Acrylics are fantastic in the fact that they dry so fast, and that's most the reason I got this done so quickly (in about 4 hours, split up into an hour over 4 nights). If I'd done it in oils, the blacks would still be drying...  
The Suites

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff