Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
ADnD: Temple of Elemental Evil Recruiting 4/6 Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:55 pm
Well, I was told to put up a recruiting thread to see what I could snag, so here it is.

We're starting at first level, there is an ADnD sheet on Myth-Weavers you can use, and it'll be a fun time.

Now, I'm going to ask the players who want to join a few questions at this point. Do you guys want to use the original 3d6, put where they drop (first roll in str, 2nd in dex, 3rd in con, on down), 4d6 (drop lowest) put where they drop, or 4d6 6 times?

The first one is how 2e is suppose to be done, 2nd way is a medium, and 3rd is 3.5. Please note that in ADnD, while stats are useful, they aren't as 'OMG NEED' as in 3.5. I've seen a perfectly good fighter with 10 in strength.

If you don't have a book, then I will help with character creation. Or Carth if he joins and wants to. Try to add me to MSN (chocy_mog@hotmail.com), or Skype (Raganui), if you can to speed up creation... well, if we're on. I prefer real time chatting over PMs cause I have found some questions don't get asked over PMs and players will just go 'well, this doesn't seem like a big deal, so I'll just mark this' which can later cause problems.

I WILL be using non-weapon proficiencies and combat styles from Fighter's Handbook.

Restricted: Oriental Adventures - their martial arts are just plain rape in non-Oriental Adventures.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:55 pm
I've always been a fan, in low-power 3.0 games, of rolling 3d6 6 times, and assigning in order. Then, re-roll any one and then swap any two scores. This rarely produces unplayable results even in 3/3.5, so if stats matter less, we might even be able to do without the re-roll. So you just roll 6 times to get str dex con int wis cha, then if you got a high wis but not a high str, you could swap those two, but not change anything else.  

KamikaziFreak

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:12 pm
That sounds interesting.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:03 pm
I like that it gives you a little flexibility, but not a lot. If you say "I want a fighter" and you roll a 4 for strength, you can swap it with some other stat and still be ok. I was testing out using 4d6, re-roll one, swap a pair, as a potential method to use for a low-level game if I decided to try to run one here. I was able to roll stats for 22 characters, 2 of each class, picking the class before rolling stats, and all were reasonably good.  

KamikaziFreak

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:03 am
I grew up on drop 'em where they lay. I can do it, but it's led to plenty of borked-up characters in my history. Especially if my high stat is charisma (worthless in 2e)  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:59 pm
2... and neither one Carth or Plainsfox... this is surprising.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Mackie the Knife

6,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:10 pm
Just for clarification: this is AD&D 2e?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:26 pm
Mackie the Knife

Yes, he specified such in the other topic  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Mackie the Knife

6,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:36 pm
Arc Vembris
Mackie the Knife

Yes, he specified such in the other topic
I didn't see another Temple of Elemental Evil thread.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:51 pm
Eh, it was the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons thread... and yes, this is 2e.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Deadusernamelol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:30 pm
I'm suppose to post in this thread? Fine fine, I'll be the third.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:57 pm
I'll give it a try. Let me just pull out my books here...  

Mackie the Knife

6,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:28 pm
Holy crap... I actually have 4?!

Ok, so, then... which stat type?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:37 pm
My preference has always been for Method V: roll 4d6, drop the lowest, and assign the scores as you wish.

Is the Thief's handbook allowed?  

Mackie the Knife

6,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:13 pm
I have it.

I should also note that for this, I will not do any 'create your own class' things.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff