Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
A Shot in the Dark [4E] - Recruitment 7/6 ---FULL--- Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

joe-dude667

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:53 am
A lot of my games have slowed a little more then I'd like, so I thought I'd start a game. Enjoy.

User Image

The Story...

Every hundred years, the city of Thanesdael held a festival - The Festival of Darkness. It was named this due to the natural event that took place in this special city. For on the last day of the festival, the moon covered the sun, throwing the city into velvety blackness. This had happened every hundred years for aeons, and was a cause of great celebration.

Though one year, that all changed.

The festival was as fantastical as it ever had been, with young and old alike receiving much joy from the mirth shared by all. It was on the last day that things changed for ever. In true tradition, the entire town congregated into the town square at midday to witness the miracle of the daylight darkness. The mayor gave his speech, the band played their songs, and then there was silence as the town collectively held their breath together.

The moon slowly crawled over the face of the sun, eating away at the warmth coating the town. There was a flash as the Moon hit its pinnacle, with the Sun trying desperately to shine through the satellite. The crowd cheered jovially, with many clapping and even shedding a tear or two. Couples embraced, children chucked and the band started playing the famed Oscurità Concerto. But then something strange happened. 3 beams of red light appeared from across the plains and shot upwards towards the moon, turning it a malicious shade of deep crimson. People screamed and started to panic as pandemonium ensued. No one understood what was going on, but after a few minutes it became abundantly clear.

The moon had not moved. The eclipse only normally lasted for a minute or two, but the moon was stuck in place. Hours passed and still there was no sign of light. Whatever evil magic was at place here was clearly keeping the sun in place too. The only sign that light even existed was the ominous red moon floating above them, keeping the happy town in darkness…

Thanesdael.

The Grand city of Thanesdael is in the centre of a land of unmentionable danger. The city is exceptionally large, with a population of 50K strong, but is entirely self-contained. The giant wall surrounding the city has no doors, gates or portcullises, and is enormously thick. The higher powers here long ago decided that the world outside was far too dangerous, and believed the wall was their best chance of preventing attacks. The only way in or out is via the large river splitting the city in two. Even without fear of outside threat, Thanesdael is the proud owner of a truly fierce town guard, keeping crime more or less completely out the city.

Game.

You are a resident in the city of Thanesdael. The town has been shed in darkness for 5 days now, and you are on your way to a meeting you read about on one of the numerous posters scattered around the city. A Human man named Devin is organizing the meeting to try and solve the problem of this unholy darkness.

This is a 4th edition game, in which you play a lvl1 character. I want a link to all characters sheets from mythweavers/tangledweb/ect. I'm going to accept all sources, including Dragon articles - but I'll be asking for a bibliography of sorts for feats and items so I know you're not just making up some OP stuff of your own. =P As for races, I'll only be accepting warforged and ones from PHB1-3 while omitting Deva, Shifter, Wilden and Shardmind. This is a city with no access to the outside world after all.
Backgrounds aren't a necessity, but I enjoy reading them just as much as most people enjoy making them. mrgreen For a bit of extra incentive I'll award all characters with backgrounds an additional 360gold (aka - enough to buy a lvl1 magical item). Obviously the background of the city may be a bit limiting to your creativity, so I apologise. But it’s a big city, I’m sure it’ll have a place for any background you come up with. wink

This is a standard pbp game. I don't really want more than 6 people, though may add more if a lot of people like the idea of this. This world is standard fantasy, but this particular city has a few steampunk elements in it (for people who remember when I did the short lived “The Trouble with Heavy Snowfall” campaign). For instance the guards have pistols (hand crossbow) as standard, and there is a small railway connecting different parts of the large city. If you enjoy steam punk and want to throw a character concept in, post in the thread/PM and I'm sure we can make it work. mrgreen If you're not a fan of steampunk, don't worry this is still heavily standard DnD fantasy. Much more so than steampunk.

I'm still in between internet providers at the moment, so this game won't be starting until I get a connection in my new place. For now, I'm going to give the 1st of August the official start date. Fingers crossed it will stay that date (or possibly be even earlier if things get sorted faster than I thought).

So there's the worm, any biters?

Players.

1: Rain Yupa - Khnurn Badru Chenzira - Tiefling Shaman - Audited

2: Felix Jude Virgo - Carric Joysword - Half-Elf Fighter - Audited

3: Mercenary of Chaos - Yulina - Half-Orc Barbarian Audited

4: Keith Valken Lionheart - Shneider - Human Paladin - Audited

5: NayrVentess - Taedra - Halfling Ranger - Audited

6: Psychofish - Eberk Dvolgbek - Dwarven Seeker Audited

7: Arc Vembris - Mutra Bal Azimon - Tiefling Psion Audited

Backup Players.

1: Mackie the Knife

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:21 pm
I'm definitely interested (for the same reason that you're interested in running), but I'm going on a road trip vacation across parts of US and Canada in the end of July/Beginning of August. I'll have access to the net with my laptop at the person I'm staying with in Ontario's home til about the 7th, but after that, I'll be nonstop on the road meeting ppl for the next half week or so.

Not to mention, I might not have time for much internets while in Canada. But I'm going to try, darn it!

If THAT isn't a deal breaker, I'd like to sign up. Though, a question: Is this more of a one-shot, or did you have it planned to be a prolonged campaign?  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

joe-dude667

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:48 pm
I doubt your schedule will be a problem. It'll be worth it when you're back with me knowing there's a player in the game that updates regularly (a downfall of both my previous games). The spot’s definitely yours if you want it.

Good question. I should probably have mentioned in the first post, but this is intended to be a long-term, serious, and quite possibly quite gritty campaign. I’ve been meaning to start a new game for a while on gaia, then the other day I had a 2 hour car journey and my mind wandered. By the end of it I had a pretty long campaign down. lol  
Rain Yupa generated a random number between 1 and 13 ... 10!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:50 pm
((I'm defaulting to Tiefling Shaman as something I think would be interesting to play, but I want to see what random chance has to say, and if I can make it work!))

If I were to do this, I might try being a...

1-Dragonborn
2-Dwarf
3-Eladrin
4-Elf
5-Half-Elf
6-Halfling
7-Human
8-Tiefling
9-Gnome
10-Goliath
11-Half-Orc
12-Githzerai
13-Minotaur  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa generated a random number between 1 and 22 ... 10!

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:52 pm
((Here's hoping for a psionic class, cause it'll be funny!))

A goliath who works as a...

1-Cleric
2-Fighter
3-Paladin
4-Ranger
5-Rogue
6-Warlock
7-Warlord
8-Wizard
9-Avenger
10-Barbarian
11-Bard
12-Druid
13-Invoker
14-Shaman
15-Sorcerer
16-Warden
17-Ardent
18-Battlemind
19-Monk
20-Psion
21-Runepriest
22-Seeker

---------------

Tiefling Shaman or Goliath Barbarian. I think the latter is easier to work with, no challenge there sweatdrop But those are my choices, in that order :3  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:08 pm
Tiefling Shaman? Pretty interesting idea. =)

Also update coliseum. Ganusk has some bugs to squish. ninja  

joe-dude667

Felix Jude Virgo generated a random number between 1 and 13 ... 5!

Felix Jude Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:09 pm
Color Me Interested

Picking race a la Rain's Method
1 = Dragonborn
2 = Dwarf
3 = Elf
4 = Eladrin
5 = Half-elf
6 = halfling
7 = human
8 = tiefling
9 = Gnome
10 = Goliath
11 = half-orc
12 = githzerai
13 = taur  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:10 pm
Merc would gladly throw a character into the fray. Not really sure what. If someone rolls a defender maybe a Straladin. Possibly a wizard.  

Saccharine Venom

Sugary Giver

Felix Jude Virgo generated a random number between 1 and 25 ... 2!

Felix Jude Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:12 pm
Okay, a half-elf ...

1=cleric
2=fighter
3=paly
4=ranger
5=rogue
6=warlock
7=warlord
8=wizard
9=avenger
10=barbarian
11=bard
12=druid
13=invoker
14=shaman
15=sorcerer
16=warden
17=ardent
18=battlemind
19=monk (NOT DOING HYBRID)
20=psion
21=runepriest
22=seeker
23=artificer
24=assassin
25=swordmage  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:15 pm
I'm interested in joining this, as I like D&D and Steampunk, and you mentioned it was grimdark, which is also a plus. I might have a character real quick, background and all, if I'm to be accepted.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:15 pm
Standard 22 point buy?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:16 pm
My first ever 4E character was a half-elf fighter! mrgreen His name was Daehyr and was a hell of a lot of fun to play. He had 8 int and was incredibly naive and foolish.

Best Quote:
Farmers Wife: You saved me! Thank you!
Daehyr: Don't mention it my fair steed!
Farmers Wife: ... Did you just call me a horse...?
Daehyr: No. I called you a steed.  

joe-dude667

Felix Jude Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:16 pm
male half-elf fighter character to be edited in

using 22-point buy because i'd rather not risk it.
Carric Joysword. Rain or DM, let me know if i may need to correct something  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:17 pm
Rain Yupa
Standard 22 point buy?
Nevah!

You can have 2.2.  

Saccharine Venom

Sugary Giver

joe-dude667

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:18 pm
@ Keith: Sure, you're in. =)

@ Rain: Indeed. I should have mentioned that too. Clearly been a while since I've done this... sweatdrop I ish n00b.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff