Welcome to Gaia! ::

Free Item Archive

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to tracking active and inactive sponsorships, events, and misc. Free Items and Free gold 

Tags: free item, freebie, sponsorship item, sponsorship, free item archive 

Reply Main
[Guide] Frontier Skies Event! Who is YOUR guide? c: Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Leitis
Captain

Star Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:30 am
████████████████████████████████████████████

Welcome to the Free Item Archive Guild's Guide to Frontier Skies!

Event Plotline

As the event progresses, I'll add information to this post about how to complete the event as well as prizes available. If there is any other information that you guys would like known, please feel free to post your questions. c:

The post titles/order are tentative for now. If anyone can think of a better order for the information below, please feel free to say so!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:31 am

How to Complete the Event

August 20, 2010: Frontier Skies Begins!
Frontier Skies is based off an old computer game, Oregon Trail. The gist of the game is to get yourself and your party members safely from the beginning to the end. You can play more than one per guide and you can play using all the guides. Be wary of the advantages and disadvantages each guide offers; some are easier to play with while others are not.

August 12, 2010: Winged Sticker
Log into Gaia every day to collect your wing sticker! Located near your avatar in the header bar. One grant per day.

Leitis
Captain

Star Fairy

Leitis
Captain

Star Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:32 am

Prizes

User Image (Soulbound) Wing Sticker: A mysterious sticker, only attainable by special means. It seems to be stuck to you! Be sure to collect these whenever you can - if you miss one, you won't get the same chance again. Later, you'll be able to trade them in for special prizes.

Amount of Stickers Possible to Get: 9 (Glitch allowed some users to be granted an extra sticker. It should not affect the game play.)

User Image Frontier Skies Shadow Medal
A memorial token of your success on completing the Frontier Skies Event with Louie as your guide.

User Image Frontier Skies Water Medal
A memorial token of your success on completing the Frontier Skies Event with Edmund as your guide.

User Image Frontier Skies Earth Medal
A memorial token of your success on completing the Frontier Skies Event with Carl as your guide.

User Image Frontier Skies Fire Medal
A memorial token of your success on completing the 2010 Summer Event with Sam as your Navigator.

User Image Frontier Skies Wind Medal
A memorial token of your success on completing the Frontier Skies Event with Diedrich as your guide.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:33 am

Commonly Asked Questions About the Event

Does it matter who I pick?
Nope! You can play each guide as many times are you want but you will only recieve the medal once. Subsequent wins will result in a gold reward. (Confirmation from someone who has played more than once, please.)

What is the best way to play the game?
I opt to spend everything on ammo and begin the game with no food. Depending on which guide I currently have, I then hunt for food immediately. Keep your food well stocked and you should be good to go!

That is well and good but how do I hunt?
There will be an option in the bar along the bottom of the game screen that says "Hunt." Click on that to be taken to a hunting spot where you can shoot things for food. There are some restrictions to hunting, however:
01) You need to have ammo, you cannot hunt too closely to where you previously hunted.
02) Some spots may not have anything to actually hunt.
03) Most guides only allow you to bring back 250 pounds of food. Each animal killed has a different weight (the heavier they are, the more ammo it takes to kill them). Louie is the only guide who can carry more weight than the others.
04) Some guides do not like it if you hunt certain animals. More on this later.

I tried to play with Carl as my guide but he killed my entire crew!
Yes...Carl is prone to his rampages. The best possible as to why you and your crew were killed by him was that you killed some Elk while hunting. Carl is typically not that prone to murdering rampages but killing his family will bring it out in him. My best suggestion on how to complete the game with Carl as your guide is as follows:
01) Choose the Kestrel which favors speed over longevity. The quicker you get to the end, the less time you have to spend with Carl.
02) Get all the ammo you can.
03) Hunt for food immediately upon entering the game.
04) Set your Pace to "Fast" and set your Food Rations to "Meager."
05) Keep a very close on eye on your crew. You'll want to kill all of them off but at least two. One surviving crew member is fine as well but be wary of stops along the way if you only have one living!
06) Set the Food Rations to "Filling" once you have one or two crew members left. This way it will take less food to keep your crew healthy and happy which means less hunting and less ammo usage.
07) Hunt as needed, keep to the trail when possible, avoid confrontations, and you should be good! c:

What about the other guides?
The steps outlined above really work for any guide. However, if you are going for high scores rather than the end reward I'd suggest playing around with your options. Some guides will make it easier to keep your entire crew happy and healthy while in combination with one of the ships. Louie works very well with the Titan in terms of food storage capacity while I find that Diedrich works well with the Cruiser. Play around and find combinations you enjoy using. Each combination of guide and ship comes with their advantages and disadvantages.

Leitis
Captain

Star Fairy

Leitis
Captain

Star Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:33 am

NPCs Involved

User Image Edmund:
[Information to come in a bit!]

User Image Sam:
A female mechanic known for working in our Garages ensuring our cars are rearing and ready to race in Rally. She owns and runs her shop in Aekea which is called Sam's Body and Parts, where users can buy parts to equip on their cars. She is obsessed with mechanical objects (as well as fellow shopkeeper, Liam). However, the newest object of her affection appears to be airships.

[Mini Comic] Frontier Guide: Sam

User Image Diedrich:
Appearing after Johnny Gambino's untimely death (and, ironically, Johnny 'died rich'), this little bunny appears to be a sentient relative of the beloved rabid Grunnies. He is full of fun, and sometimes morbid, "facts" and will always share the information whether you wish to know or not.

[Mini Comic] Frontier Guide: Diedrich

User Image Louie von Helson:
Full brother to Barton shop keeper, Ian, and half brother to Gino Gambino and the von Helson sisters, Marie and Anna Corinne. After his father's death, he became the King of Vampires. However, he now lives in Durem while working with Edmund in his upscale clothing shop.

[Mini Comic] Frontier Guide: Louie

User Image Carl the Elk:
No one knows for sure where this elk came from but when he wishes to do something, no one can stop him. His foray into shopkeeping began when he wandered into the shop known as Junk in the Trunk and never left. No one is brave enough to evict him but as his new journey into leading an airship crew is any indication, he is more than welcome to evict others from their position.

[Mini Comic] Frontier Guide: Carl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:38 am

Event Artwork

[Mini Comic] Frontier Guide: Sam __________ Event Manga #1: An Old Friend's Duty
[Mini Comic] Frontier Guide: Diedrich
[Mini Comic] Frontier Guide: Louie
[Mini Comic] Frontier Guide: Carl

Party Sphinx Image

Frontier Skies Event Banner

Vampie Ship
Kestrel Sip
Cruiser Ship
Titan Ship

More Images can be found here

Leitis
Captain