Welcome to Gaia! ::

Free Item Archive

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to tracking active and inactive sponsorships, events, and misc. Free Items and Free gold 

Tags: free item, freebie, sponsorship item, sponsorship, free item archive 

Reply Main
Utility Belt Design Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Miss Pumpkin

Shameless Lunatic

9,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:54 pm
So, the double-blade utility belt apparently won the design contest, yet it was a direct copy of someone's pixel art on DA. So, for everyone who managed to grab it up while it was briefly offered the item is merely soulbound. So, discuss... what would you like seen with the item. Deleted from the gaiaverse and replaced with the new winner, remaining soulbound, or something else? heart  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:12 am
I'm grouchy that it's soulbound.

I can understand why - they don't want to punish those that got one, but they also don't want people spreading a "stolen" design (or profitting as a deleted item is super rare and worth tons of gold).

Personally I think they should make a deal with the real designer (maybe give them some Gaia cash or something), credit them with the design publiclly, then un-soulbond the item.

Maybe for good measure, give a prize to second place and release that as a free item too.  

PandoraCaitiff

7,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200

theexiledstripper

Aged Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:23 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Wait, what? Now I'm pissed that I missed that. =.= It must not have been the one I voted for because I don't know which belt you're talking about.
How about just replace the belts with the second place winner> They'll be the same price so it'll be like they didn't waste the gold. I'm not saying that it's a good idea, but just something I thought up off the top of my head.

Art by Shiver'.....Click for full view.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:11 am
I think that if they're going to keep it as soulbound then we should at least be able to trash it, as I don't really want it now.

Humanoidd-94

Dangerous Nerd

geo serenity adlehyde
Vice Captain

Familiar Elder

9,275 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:57 am
i must of missed the whole contest because i know nothing of this  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:03 am
geo serenity adlehyde
i must of missed the whole contest because i know nothing of this
Carolina says...

same here =PUser Image  

iKawaiiKyle
Crew

5,150 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

geo serenity adlehyde
Vice Captain

Familiar Elder

9,275 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:54 am
(ahem) never let it be said i don't look into things
here

didn't see anything about a winner though  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:58 am
Carolina says...
so the belt already came out?
how come i haven't seen it question User Image  

iKawaiiKyle
Crew

5,150 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Leitis
Captain

Star Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:54 am
I'm actually wearing the belt right now. O:

There was a link to the grant in the Frontier Skies event home page but they removed the link after the art theft was brought into light.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:55 am
Leitis

There was a link to the grant in the Frontier Skies event home page but they removed the link after the art theft was brought into light.
Carolina says...

ok then, that clears it up, i hate copy cats, lolUser Image  

iKawaiiKyle
Crew

5,150 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Leitis
Captain

Star Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:02 am
iKawaiiKyle
Leitis

Carolina says...

ok then, that clears it up, i hate copy cats, lolUser Image
The guy didn't even bother to copy the design...he outright took the exact image from deviantART and used it to enter. He's even lower than copycats in my opinion. D:  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:59 pm
i believe that is called "art theft". but i hope there is a replacement.  

geo serenity adlehyde
Vice Captain

Familiar Elder

9,275 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Brandisher 100

Moontalon

Shameless Noob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:11 pm
I hope they keep the item, i mean i REALLY like it. Gaia pixelated it, but they should punish the original who stole the art the belt is the concept from. Its still an original piece of artwork even if its a derivative of an image that someone else drew. That could be said for half the gaia items. I mean someone had to pixelate this item  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:32 pm
Moontalon
I hope they keep the item, i mean i REALLY like it. Gaia pixelated it, but they should punish the original who stole the art the belt is the concept from. Its still an original piece of artwork even if its a derivative of an image that someone else drew. That could be said for half the gaia items. I mean someone had to pixelate this item
The problem is...is that the person who actually drew the piece of work that was submitted to the contest gave no consent to have their concept work used. The original artist of the work stolen never even heard of Gaia until their deviantART page was spammed with messages about how so-and-so stole their artwork and won a contest with it.  

Leitis
Captain

Star Fairy

Moontalon

Shameless Noob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:22 pm
Not meaning to argue here, but i doubt that the makers of cutey honey know of gaia, and gaia has the Cutie Heroine. As just one example.

Also, the artist said they have given gaia permission to use the derivative work now...

Though i do agree with you, art theft is an issue on gaia, always has been to be honest  
Main

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff