Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
GO GO POWER RANGERS! (a D&D concept) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:45 pm
So this is an idea I thought up on the fly after discussing game mechanics with a fellow player on the community boards on Wizards.com.

This is what I have so far:

-The Man with the Canaries (aka Bahamut) has noticed that the world is in terrible strife. The Dark Lord Zedd, with the assistance of the Plague Witch Rita the Repulsive, have threatened the kingdom of Highwood, in which the man resides. An army awaits at his sacred temple, on the outskirts of his land. A legend foretold by the ancestors of the kingdom that 5 warriors would reveal themselves in the coming darkness, and a colossus would lift the curtain of evil from the land. The man reads these ancient letters as one of the birds lands on his finger. A time of peace...maybe when the warriors are revealed...

And that is what I have for the backstory. For some assistance:

Dark Lord Zedd = Lord Zedd
Rita the Repulsive = Rita Repulsa
The Man with the Canaries = Zordon
The colossus = The Megazord

What do you think so far?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:19 am
I am going to sound newbish at the moment, but wasn't their 6 rangers? Red, Pink, Blue, Black, Yellow, Green. Again sorry, but other than that I think it is all good. Also what system would you use if you did play it? That is if it is played.  

Alzzak

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:34 am
Originally, there were 5. And that can be modified depending on the size of the party, though typically you have a 5-person party.

And I'm working that one out as I speak. I have ideas for both 3.5 and 4th, though working mostly on 4th.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:30 am
Green was originally evil, and so meant to be with Kimberly... ninja  

joe-dude667

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:20 pm
A themed game, interesting. What would the 'Rangers' be, like class wise?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:30 pm
Raganui Minamoto
Ranger.It's only fitting. Or Monk. But Ranger is preferred.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:22 pm
No restrictions on classes. Its supposed to be a flavor of Power Rangers, not an exact representation. Granted, I'm working on that one also.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:28 pm
I will play the 3.5 one!

Oh, Hello everyone  

Xboxplayerj

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:43 pm
Xboxplayerj
I will play the 3.5 one!

Oh, Hello everyone

It isn't a recruit thread. Its more of a "discuss this concept" thread.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:49 pm
Alright, since people have the concept down:

How does one go about creating the mechanics behind the Zords? What I am thinking is creating a few base zords, then modifying those based on what the characters are playing. For instance, a meat shield would have some kind of defense matrix on their zord, giving other zords a +1 to all defenses while in the zone, and a ranger might have a targeting matrix, granting allies +1 to attack. What other matrixes can you think of?

As for the Megazord, I'm thinking of making a Warforged Paladin as a template, then giving it a super ability (think augment). The only question here is how would the players control the Megazord?  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Alzzak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:57 pm
Oh, Sorry again. I watched it as a kid but my dad used to come home just as it was starting and turned the channel on the only tv in the house. So, I only caught a few of the original episodes.

Keith Valken Lionheart
Raganui Minamoto
Ranger.It's only fitting. Or Monk. But Ranger is preferred.

Respectfully disagree, From what I do remember there was only 2 rangers with two weapons and only one with a bow. So the better option would be a fighter or monk classes. Also, none of the rangers had a pet (I know there isn't one with the 4.0 ranger)  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:09 pm
Quote:

How does one go about creating the mechanics behind the Zords? What I am thinking is creating a few base zords, then modifying those based on what the characters are playing. For instance, a meat shield would have some kind of defense matrix on their zord, giving other zords a +1 to all defenses while in the zone, and a ranger might have a targeting matrix, granting allies +1 to attack. What other matrixes can you think of?

I don't know what a matrix is, but here is my attempt

Divine caster a plus 1 to fast healing or healing surges
Arcane Caster +1 to saves

Quote:
As for the Megazord, I'm thinking of making a Warforged Paladin as a template, then giving it a super ability (think augment). The only question here is how would the players control the Megazord?

You could have everyone roll for attack rolls and any other roll and then just take the arrange of the rolls and have if someone rolls a crit just add +10 to arrange of the other rolls  

Alzzak

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:15 pm
Alzzak
Quote:

I don't know what a matrix is, but here is my attempt

Divine caster a plus 1 to fast healing or healing surges
Arcane Caster +1 to saves

Quote:

You could have everyone roll for attack rolls and any other roll and then just take the arrange of the rolls and have if someone rolls a crit just add +10 to arrange of the other rolls

Hmm...maybe basing the matrixes on what their class role is would make things go faster.

A good thought, but given that the megazord will be of Colossal size, I'm thinking maybe having each person get a move (which would be one square, or something) and a standard action (attack, total defense, charge the augment, etc.). Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:29 pm
Class role matrix ideas
Controller bonus to saves
Healer bonus to healing surges or a constant heal over time effect on all zoids
Defender bonus to AC
Melee Striker bonus to melee strikes
Range Striker bonus to range attacks (I don't know what kind of firepower you would give the Zoids.)

An idea on the Zoids, Being this is a ranger-like game, could you make the Zoids just normal animals that grow in times of overwhelming trouble and have a telepathic bond with the ranger. The rangers then could just ride them, like a Green and the Dragonzord.  

Alzzak

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:35 pm
Alzzak
Class role matrix ideas
Controller bonus to saves
Healer bonus to healing surges or a constant heal over time effect on all zoids
Defender bonus to AC
Melee Striker bonus to melee strikes
Range Striker bonus to range attacks (I don't know what kind of firepower you would give the Zoids.)

An idea on the Zoids, Being this is a ranger-like game, could you make the Zoids just normal animals that grow in times of overwhelming trouble and have a telepathic bond with the ranger. The rangers then could just ride them, like a Green and the Dragonzord.

Well, it isn't exactly ranger-heavy. Like I said, its a feel for the theme of Power Rangers, not an actual team of super strong rangers. The animal companion idea...miiight work, but I'm not really inclined to giving out a companion to each player...no offense, but I don't want to build massive army encounters.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff