Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
I miss old [2005-ish] Gaia. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Free
  Gold
View Results

lgtenos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:07 pm
When everything wasn't about getting Gaia gold.
When we had the Avatar Spotlight, not Avatar Arena.
When polls gave you and unconditional 10g per.
When Fishing and Slots were the only games.
When there were an eigth of the number of forums/sub-forums.
When Monthly Collectibles were called Donation Items.
When Evolving Items and the Cash Shop didn't exist.
When there were only 5 eyes to choose for your Avi.
When Avis could not sit or turn around.

I could go on... However, I do like the diversity of items. Makes Gaians more diverse from one another.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:24 pm
Hm... y'know, a good portion of things were related to getting Gaia gold, like, well, poll guilds. :S

I could've sworn Towns was at least in beta during 2005, and avatars had backs and seated positions because of that... I dunno. Memory's fuzzy like that. sweatdrop  

blackajah

khionna

Salty Wench

39,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:04 am
I've been on gaia since about 2006, right before the cash shop because I remember getting the free 25 cash when they first put it in, and I have to say that I like the changes. Some of them are a little annoying at first but for the most part they are actually pretty cool. I like the rigs and eis, I also don't mind donation items being called mcs. Things change, there is nothing you can do about it, and a lot of it is actually for the better of the site. =)  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:38 am
The only thing I miss about then is the layout.  

comfylove
Crew

coldheartedangel

Omnipresent Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:55 am
I'll tell you what i don't miss. Sushie errors and people tripping over cables.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:05 am
coldheartedangel
I'll tell you what i don't miss. Sushie errors and people tripping over cables.
^^^^^

I remember when the site was down like...every week. XD  

comfylove
Crew

angelfromdown-under

Romantic Whisperer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:46 am
That was like 04-05ish xP
Glad thats behind us xDD  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:08 am
I think for a lot it has always been about getting Gaia gold, just back then there wasn't as much inflation so it was smaller amounts.
I remember not paying over 6k for a Sealed Letter and trying to save for the seemingly unreachable 200k for an OMG hat.

I might miss it more if it didn't mean that I would have to be 16-17 again.  

scrub
Crew

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:32 am
I'm sort of just over Gaia completely now. I wouldn't like it better if it was any other way. The only reason I still come by is for you guys. razz  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:45 am
I remember turning and sitting being new in 2005, and Towns juuuuust coming out of Beta. Because in those magical weeks, I was stuck in a dinky little cinderblock house with no car and Hurricane Rita barreling down on my town and being TERRIFIED BEYOND IMAGINING that I would be washed out to sea. My only joy - my ONLY joy - was Towns. mrgreen

I was so quick, I got a house on the first page of all the houses. 3nodding  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:04 am
I'm with Szen, completely; I don't care for Gaia as I used to, when I spent more time here than I probably should (though I loved doing it).

What I DO miss about this place, The Suites, specifically, was how this place was always hopping. I come here every now and then, and posts stay on the first page for, like, a week, even two. Back in the "good ol' days," so to speak, you couldn't keep a post on the first page for more than about a day or two, a couple of hours, even, unless it was really, really interesting. Didn't mean to wax poetic, I just miss those days. A lot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:28 am
comfortably_dumb
The only thing I miss about then is the layout.

This. Even though I don't remember what it looked like, I just know I liked it better before biggrin  

kim ocean
Crew

AquilaLiberum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:20 am
When I joined (January 2006), fishing slots and cards were all there, as were towns. Back then, my avi had long purple hair and my Chyaku Norisu scarf was like 12k (600k+ now). I remember when tektek only had the dream avi thing and not the shitton of ones it has now.
I don't like the concept of Gaia cash, the cash shop, the steady decline in the quality of donation items and in the quality of conversation found in many of the bigger forums sad

~Nya-ha!~
blaugh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:02 am
[Mr. Mau heart H2H]
[Anni: Dec. 12, 2009]

Fixed 10 gold was epic win in Polls. <3
Ah, 2004 - 2005 Gaia = THE Best. <3
But no. Now we have the Cash Shop to mostly rely on.
*plans to buy a few Cash Cards next week*

MisterMaurice

Conversationalist

Tus Ojos Oscuros..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:08 pm
I haven't been on in months.

To be honest, it's overwhelming to see all of the new..well..crap they put on. It's cool, I guess, but it's not as forum-based anymore.

anyways, hi guys.
redface

The Suites

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas