Tags: writing, stories, character, development, feedback 

Reply General Discussion
Adverbs anyone? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like adverbs?
  BOOOOOOOOO (throws a dead bird in my direction) get off of the stage you evil adverb-hating cultist!
  *smacks me across the face with a frying pan* snap out of it! Adverbs are my LIFE.
  ummmm yaa, like, bro, I've been totally against adverbs for like... ever dude.
  Adverbs=BAD. Scurry. Run away from them.
  wft I ttly dk wat ur tryin 2 say here...
  I'm running out of ideas for poll answers. So vote on this if you like lemon poppyseed muffins.
  My favorite movie ever is the pixar film Wall-e, because I think that the morbidly obese humans are super-duper chubby and cute.
View Results

damaged-reality

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:31 pm
"The road to hell is paved with adverbs"- Stephen King

I really really don't like adverbs. My friend Stephen agree with me. Why don't I like them?
I don't know.
They don't sound good in writing (most of the time, that is)

Yes, adverbs work from time to time but I feel as if people use them when they don't know what else to say...

I'm actually really scared to post this topic because I'm worried about people's thoughts about adverbs. I'm scared that people won't get what I'm trying to say. Or that they'll get angry at me and egg my house.
One of those two.
In fact, I'm angry at myself because when I write, I use adverbs. I try not to, but I write them anyways. I'll usually edit them out, but what's surprising to me is how much better a sentence sounds without adverbs.
Trust me, when I first read that quote up there, I though that I was crazy.
And not the "insanely creative crazy" but the "craaaazzzzzyy crazy".
But I'm happy that Stephen said this. Because now, I know why he doesn't like adverbs.

So what do you think?
Should I be praised for this thought?
Or burnt to the stake and fed to hungry cannibalistic mutants from The Hills Have Eyes?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:03 pm
So... um, honestly, I have no idea what you're trying to say. But I do like lemon poppyseed muffins. That answer was funny because I just bought some... like, two hours ago. I think you must have been stalking me unintentionally. Or unknowingly. (Ooooh, lookie there. I just used exactly what you dislike so much. Aaaaadverbs!) :]  

Secret Kirari

Magical Dabbler

FoxyNightPrincess

Lonely Prophet

12,850 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:14 pm
i actually LOVE adverbs. I use them all the time in my writing, mostly without knowing that i use them so often.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:26 pm
GAHH
i do love adverbs.

velvetsophisticate

damaged-reality

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:39 pm
Secret Kirari
So... um, honestly, I have no idea what you're trying to say. But I do like lemon poppyseed muffins. That answer was funny because I just bought some... like, two hours ago. I think you must have been stalking me unintentionally. Or unknowingly. (Ooooh, lookie there. I just used exactly what you dislike so much. Aaaaadverbs!) :]

See! Obviously you're good enough of a writer to know how to use adverbs well.

That's a good example of a sentence with proper adverb usage.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:37 pm
It might be my like of poetry, but I like adverbs. Adjectives too, come to think of it. I doubt that I would enjoy reading a story that avoided them or took them all out. My guess would be that I would find the flow of the story stunted and not to my taste.

I'm curious, though. Can you give an example of a piece you used them in and decided to take them away? Did it really read better? Or get your point across more clearly? Or did you just prefer it because you dislike adverbs?  

Xiao Xianyu

4,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

exdraghunt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:34 pm
Gosh. I really hate adverbs, but it's because I use them so freakin' often. I'll look at something I just wrote and thing "Man, how many words with -ly can I use in a paragraph? one a sentence apparently"

I think they need to be used sparingly. . . .Gah.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:23 am
Is it sad that I had to Wikipedia adverbs before I posted? I completely forgot what they were as soon as I started reading.

I, personally (Adverb counter: 1), try not to use them in my writing unless describing a conversation, to indicate inflection in speech, or give a hint to tone of voice. Something like that.

Of course, a few will sneak in tere, and, willingly (AC: 2), or not, there they are. It's like a necessary evil. I actually (AC: 3) understand exactly (AC: 4) what you're talking about. It kind of feels like cheating, or that you're half-arseing it, right? Kind of like weak English. I sometimes feel like there's a more eloquent way to say it, but it doesn'talways work that way.  

Demona McRae

Dangerous Prophet

5,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Profitable 100

TwinDaggers

Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:29 am
Too much of anything is a bad thing. That said, I really see nothing wrong with adverbs, and they can even be necessary in a few places.

Like, they can totally change how I imagine something. For example:
"He sprinted confidently"
"He sprinted franticly"
Those make me imagine two totally different scenes.

But again, don't use too many adverbs, because too many will annoy the reader.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:41 pm
I try to stay away from adverbs. It is not that I do not like them... (I love them!!! heart ) They just make my writing look less professional.  

-S-Dancing_Star-S-

Dangerous Hunter

5,600 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300

The Silver Sundae

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:40 pm
I actually like using adverbs. They help me describe the scenes that I'm trying to portray to my readers. To me, my writing would be stale and dry if I didn't use adverbs to describe something. Of course, I don't use them all the time. Sometimes a scene is better if it is straight to the point or if it is laced with figures of speech like this one.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:48 pm

I dig adverbs.

pythonesque
Crew

Kawaii Fatcat

Andirigible

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:28 pm
exdraghunt
"Man, how many words with -ly can I use in a paragraph? one a sentence apparently"

I think they need to be used sparingly. . . .Gah.

I don't hate adverbs.

Adverbs are like salt. The right amount makes the dish better, but too much, and you may as well toss it. (I think I used this analogy before... in the guild... somewhere...)

And what amazes me is that I just wrote that whole post without a single adverb. Wow.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:31 pm
Adverbs are like... well, every other part of writing.

When used well they're great. When they're not they aren't. End of discussion.  

Lazarus Larkin

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250

Articx-Frost

Unbeatable Raider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:54 pm
Is it bad that I didn't know what an adverb was untill I read this thread. I'm 17 and still taking english, so why the hell didn't I know what an adverb was. Maybe this is why I failed it last year....  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff