Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Such madness over one simple item.... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

angelfromdown-under

Romantic Whisperer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:12 am
I don't know how many of you actually check out the site feedback forum, but if you do you may realise that there has been some backlash recently involving the Madame Gypsy item out of the Cirque du Gothique RIG CI in particular This thread.
Thoughts and opinions on the matter??
Do you think it is offensive and should be changed, or maybe you think that its harmless and meant in jest (as the RIG is a canival theme xP )

Please don't take this as me asking as a Site Mod...i am merely curious to see peoples opinions outside of the SF regs  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:43 am
Been awhile since I have been on gaia but I had to respond to this. Personally methinks someone has too much time on their hands and anger in their heart if they found the item offensive. Now if the item portrayed something unattractive and/or offensive I can see getting bent but the items (I think, personally) are beautiful. If they were going to be angry over an item it should have been the Orphans and the related event as apparently the poster was adopted and the Orphan event stereotyped orphans as poor little unwashed trash before being adopted. Therefore, to me, that should have been more offensive to such a person.

I think quite a few people addressed good points in opposition to the poster's protest as well. I feel sorry for that person, they seem to have a lot of anger tied into their heritage

pneumadragonfly

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:36 am
Allow me to copy and paste the response I gave in an email. XD

Szen
The "Gypsy fortune teller" is an offensive stereotype much like the "mammy" is for those of African heritage.

The word "Gypsy" is offensive when used to describe anything other than an ethnic group. That is, people who choose to live a nomadic lifestyle are not Gypsies. People who make their livings going around swindling people are not Gypsies. (That one is especially offensive.) Fortune tellers are not Gypsies. Hippies who like to wear long skirts and belly dancing costumes are not Gypsies.

Some people think that using the word "Gypsy" at all is equivalent of certain other taboo racial words. Those are the people I think are silly, because we call ourselves that, and if they claim to be Roma, I question their claims. XD

Thanks for asking. :3 I saw the item and didn't buy it because of the name. Otherwise I would have, because I like it. If it was just "Fortune Teller", I would own it now.

I did not read the thread, nor do I want to, because I strongly suspect that the thread is full of wannabes and haters, and I don't associate with either group. Nor do I really give 2 shakes about Gaia anymore. XD;  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:07 am
First off it's a Carnivale based type item. Secondly there isn't anything offensive about the items poses or looks so if you want to pick on it for the fact that it just says the word 'Gypsy' then you seriously need to get intouch with your Roma history/roots.

If the word Gypsy is offense to you when it comes to fortune tellers then you need to learn to shurg your shoulders and move along cause that stereotypesof life isn't going to change cause due to its long history. If you want to get offended at Gaia for this then you need to be offended at several things in life like Scooby Doo since they've had Fortune Tellers on their cartoon before... and guess what? They was a Gypsy. Canivals have been working with the theme of the fortune teller being a Gypsy for like ever. It's just far more intresting that way.

So yea in result if you want to get offended but such a word you need to build a ******** time machine, go back in time and change the stereotypical ideas of a Gypsy. Then ya know while your at it change all the other stereotypes.

Anywho, it sounds exactly like a person is getting butt hurt just to get butt hurt. I full agree with what Szen is saying about full of wannabes and haters.  

wo_nyrmo

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:15 am
But why should we have to shrug things off when every other minority race would tear you down for similar things? The thing is, we DO shrug it off. And that's why nothing ever changes.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:48 am
Szen
But why should we have to shrug things off when every other minority race would tear you down for similar things? The thing is, we DO shrug it off. And that's why nothing ever changes.
Oh I'm not just saying this specific race or that one should shrug it off situation that tear them down. I'm saying every race should when it is something small like this. There are far more important things in life that need to be challenged and changed. There is really no reason to get so worked over on something as simple as pixles. So thus like I was saying its just better to shurg the small things off and focus more on the bigger picture of things.

Example: I don't like it when people say "beat you like a red headed step child" but I don't go off the deep end to the point where I'm offended by it and have to get all emotional over it.  

wo_nyrmo

Undead Honey Cake

Mewling Kitten

13,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:34 pm
Me thinks the Lady Doth protest to much.

I have to agree with most of the things said in here, because i do not believe that there was any intent of upsetting any one, they want the item to be the 'classic fortune teller' it's the same as the item 'witchy' the classic idea of a witch, believe can choose to b***h about a lot of things, but i don't think it's needed.

In fact, i really like this item, and i'm now thinking about maybe buy one or two of it, because i like the shirt and skirt poses.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:11 pm
I love when people say they agree with me and then say the exact opposite. XD;
People also love being told how they should feel.

Also, witches are fictional beings. Gypsies are not. That's the difference.

Admittedly, I woke up in a horrible mood today, but I feel like this is it for me.
You guys can find me on Facebook if you haven't already.  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Kosai Avonej

Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:31 pm
Childish People gathering one one site in mass equals the worse qualities of an elephant and a donkey; Alot of s**t.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:53 pm
Szen
I love when people say they agree with me and then say the exact opposite. XD;
People also love being told how they should feel.

Also, witches are fictional beings. Gypsies are not. That's the difference.

Admittedly, I woke up in a horrible mood today, but I feel like this is it for me.
You guys can find me on Facebook if you haven't already.
i just want to clarify some things, i don't want to get worked up or into a debate with anyone, when i brought up the 'witchy' item what i was trying to say is that pagans and wiccans are offend called witches, so they could find that offensive. In truth witches are not fictional being, the green skinned woman with a wort is though, and i guess the same could be said for the 'gypsy' fountain teller, yes gypsys are real, and yes 'witches' are real, but they aren't really like 'that' they don't look/act/dress like those stereotypes.

also i guess i should have said the parts of what you said that i agreed with, it was mostly this part that i was agreeing with,
"Some people think that using the word "Gypsy" at all is equivalent of certain other taboo racial words. Those are the people I think are silly, because we call ourselves that,"

and again, i am not looking for a big huffy debate, or anything like that, i just wanted to make it clear what i meant.

Also Gypsy is the WEIRDest spelled word! gawd it's a weird looking word....  

Undead Honey Cake

Mewling Kitten

13,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500

Renard Muldrake

Clean Capitalist

6,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:04 pm
I suppose it's an offensive enough item. But, I don't know I've never been easy to offend. And racial stuff never sets me off.
I don't get offended when people speak poorly of Native Americans, & I'm Cherokee, Choctaw, & Quapaw a few generations back.
It doesn't bother me when people mock my Polish heritage, or my French heritage, or that I'm German, or English, or Welsh, or Czech, or Norwegian.
And I don't get offended if my Roma heritage is looked down upon.

I just've never really been personally offended by racial slurs or the like. Maybe it's because my heritage is so varied that I've never really been that in touch with any of it.
I understand why some people are set off by it. I dunno it just doesn't bother me
Words are just words, & ideas are just ideas.

It seems like though they could've tried to name it something that wouldn't have been as likely to offend some people, but it's not like this isn't the only stupid, & conceivably offensive thing Gaia's done.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:09 pm
I understand how it could be taken as offensive.. but so could the native American items, the kimonos.. pretty much all the racial items could be taken as offensive.
The thing is that Gaia isn't presenting it in an offensive manner.
The description is clean/non-derogatory, and the item isn't in any way offensive.. it's a fortune teller item that came from a circus RIG. =/

Intoxikace

Sparkly Wench

coldheartedangel

Omnipresent Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:16 pm
I honestly haven't really paid to much attention to it.

However, if people are feeling so strongly about it, i think it should be changed. What's the point of upsetting people when they can just change the name.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:25 pm
Szen
Allow me to copy and paste the response I gave in an email. XD

Szen
The "Gypsy fortune teller" is an offensive stereotype much like the "mammy" is for those of African heritage.

The word "Gypsy" is offensive when used to describe anything other than an ethnic group. That is, people who choose to live a nomadic lifestyle are not Gypsies. People who make their livings going around swindling people are not Gypsies. (That one is especially offensive.) Fortune tellers are not Gypsies. Hippies who like to wear long skirts and belly dancing costumes are not Gypsies.

Some people think that using the word "Gypsy" at all is equivalent of certain other taboo racial words. Those are the people I think are silly, because we call ourselves that, and if they claim to be Roma, I question their claims. XD

Thanks for asking. :3 I saw the item and didn't buy it because of the name. Otherwise I would have, because I like it. If it was just "Fortune Teller", I would own it now.

I did not read the thread, nor do I want to, because I strongly suspect that the thread is full of wannabes and haters, and I don't associate with either group. Nor do I really give 2 shakes about Gaia anymore. XD;

You would be right about that last part xP

This response is probably the best and least Bawwing response i have seem from people who claim they are Roma (not being offensive...just no way to prove if they are bullshitting or not sweatdrop )
Instead of saying "OMG IM OFFENDED AND QUITTING GAIA NOW IF YOU DONT CHANGE IT"  

angelfromdown-under

Romantic Whisperer

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:04 pm
My response to the thread:
Wot?

No seriously. With all the things that have been released by gaia that may be considered offensive people have to choose this one? I mean you just look at all the Hawaiian themed items that have absolutely nothing to do with the Hawaiian culture/tradition aside from its name and appearance at all and in fact depicts it as a form of "entertainment"; almost an object of ridicule. But do I get pissed off? No. Because there are ******** of ignorant people around the world who believe everything the media tells them. Why not spend some time doing something productive like going after the media giants to keep them from spreading lies and ignorant statements about matters of which they do not know?  
The Suites

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff