Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

welian

Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:41 pm
I'm not asking anyone to divulge any personal experiences they aren't comfortable with sharing, but you know the saying, "write from what you know"? Are there any particular painful or sad experiences you've had, that seem to have crept into your writing as general themes?

Death and loneliness come up a lot in my writing. I'm fairly positive it stems from being bullied (and being a bully) when I was younger, and from being there when my grandmother passed away in the hospital. Nothing quite predisposes your daughter to tragedy like having her within earshot when you tell the doctor not to resuscitate again.

Especially not when it's the day after her birthday... :/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:28 pm
I put a lot of mental and emotional separation from parents and guardians in my stories*. I definitely know that. On the flip side, when they're not distant, they're the ideal parent/child: perfect acceptance, perfect trust, etc. Wishful thinking, I suppose?

Also, not having enough to eat and hoarding food. Or having the heat set too cold in winter and the AC set too hot in summer, just to save money, when there was enough to at least make it more comfortable without breaking the bank. Hunger, physical discomfort, and generally not having enough money come up a lot in my writing. Probably more than they should. Especially the food hangups.

*More than the usual teen "They wouldn't understand!" bull. I mean like, an eight year old (or younger...) knowing not to trust the parents with anything. Thank God for siblings 7 & 8.5 years older than the baby, I s'pose.

CallMeKada

Lyvidian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:18 pm
I have a lot of parental detachment in my stories. Even when I have a character that's for the most part a goody-goody there's usually some type of resentment toward the parents (usually more toward the mom). I can't think of a single character that has a good relationship with their parents...  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:19 am
I'm not too sure, I don't tend to let my feelings out XD
So yeah, not for me  

Giyari
Crew

Shirtless Ladykiller

Lydia Blue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:11 am
I pretty much had a fantastic childhood. I think I have a bit of an issue with my Dad, because a number of my characters have Daddy issues.
Also, when I was a kid, books were more important to me than people. I'm not sure if this has really affected my writing other than the obvious, but there ya go.
The Daddy issues thing was entirely unconcious. I've only realized it recently.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:36 am
I should be totally grateful for my childhood, because nothings every happened to me. The worst thing was when I was 7 and fell off my bike hitting half my face on the cement. I had a few scrapes, but nothing big. I've never broken or fractured anything, never gotten bitten or stung by anything besides mosquitos and the occasional ant.

All my grandparents are still alive as well as several great uncles and aunts. I only have one dead grandparent you died of a heart attack.

My parents are in good health and still together, too. The only person with a slight medical condition is my sister, who has acid reflux. That means that her stomach is incredibly sensitive to any and all foods, and most of it comes back up on accident. But she's fine and taking her meds for it.

Whenever I'm emotional it's usually hormones or something stupid that happened, and I don't really let it get into my work. But I usually make my characters all have somethin wrong with them, even though I don't really know what that would be like...

i am sad mami

Premium Fairy

FoxyNightPrincess

Lonely Prophet

12,850 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:51 pm
my characters never have a good relationship with their fathers. i can't even write a story with a good father character. they're either non-existent or the characters just don't like their fathers much.

yeah i have daddy issues lol. he was just never there much when we were kids and then when my parents got divorced he was a terrible father nothing was ever good enough for him he never hit me or anything it was just the mental abuse i couldn't stand. and now he isn't even in my life.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:07 am
My characters are never exactly stable, and very, very, very few are entirely sane. In addition to that, most of them have poor to nonexistant social skills, even if they actually want to be around people, aaaannd I seem to have difficulty writing characters which don't have a Tragic PastTM of some sort.

On a lighter note, only two of my characters seem to have picked up my intense paranoia and multitude of phobias behind you. c:

EDIT: Since you guys don't know me super well, it might help to know that I smile. A lot. Even when most people wouldn't.

This is what a combination of bullying and nuerological issues does to you.  

VenusRain

Timid Guildswoman

8,350 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Millenium Joker

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:28 am
For the sake of the reader (and my fatigue...... so tired......) I won't pot what I have in mind, but they're s collection of about 3 stories/essays I wrote a while back, all about s**t that's gone down in my life.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:31 pm
User Image
It's the story of my life.

My characters tend to be separated from the main social groups in whatever place they tend to be in most. I was a Gifted and Talented pullout kid, and that means that everyone knew I was the really, really smart girl. I still am, and although I've found my social niche, my group of close friends is very small.
It's not that I regret having my intelligence; I think it's a blessing. But I still write about what I know...
Anyway (I was going off-topic, wasn't I?), my characters tend to be detached from their fathers. I never knew my dad, because my parents never married, so you could say that I'm detached to my dad. Very detached.
Also, I've noticed that in my storylines lately, the characters are detaching from their mothers as well, and I suspect that this has something to do with the fact that I'm a teenager and I'm not as close to my mom as I used to be.
Art mimics life, I suppose.

I know who would want to take me home...
--Semisonic,
Closing Time

Spellbound Blasphemy

All Purpose Muling Device

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:11 pm
I've noticed that emotional abuse is working its way more and more into what I write.

It pisses me off.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:17 am
Most of my writing tends to revolve around poverty, substance abuse, and mental illness. Very rarely do parents make it into a story at all, and if they do, they are not typically shown in the best light.

I've also noticed receintly that nearly all of my main characters smoke and drink, usually heavily.  

Feline Anachronism

velvetsophisticate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:04 pm
I usually find myself writing my characters to have some crazy insecurities, like body-issues, rejection-fueled depression, and constant lonlieness. Also, lately I've noticed my characters have one or more parents struggling with a drug addiction. Possibly due to my own experiences...?

It always pisses me off, too, because I'd LIKE to step out of the box that confines me to these flaws.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:37 pm
I find myself writing about depression, self-injury, self-esteem, need for acceptance, death, withdraw, loneliness, addiction,...

Some of them are things I've gone through. Some are things I've been exposed to a lot.

pythonesque
Crew

Kawaii Fatcat

IchigoRomance

Beloved Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:52 pm
I tend to write about characters much like myself. Even though I never mean to. I can never keep a character serious and distant because that's my life. I used to be serious and distant but I got over it. Something in me changed and the same happeneds to my characters. I tend to have my female characters experience some kind of sexual trama because I've been there. Basically, Rape,molestation,post tramatic stress, sticky situations, bad break ups, and so on and so on. Alot of me and my life is in my writing. And I wouldn't have it any other way. As a writer your writing needs to have a part of you everytime.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff