Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Memorable Threads Archive
It Gets Better Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

iMito
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:28 am
User Image

Over the past month, we have all witnessed a tragedy as 6 people from the gay community have taken their lives. Whether it's because they were bullied or something not being-gay related, as some media stations suggest, it's still a tragedy.

On October 20th, I encourage everyone to wear something purple, both IRL and on your Gaia avatar. I know I'm wearing my purple bandana! This is in remembrance of the lost lives as well as to show that there is support for the LGBT community!

Anyways, I wanted to reach out to the guild and let you know it gets better. I know a lot of you are dealing with a lot and are going through the rough patch of life. That's one of the prime reasons we have this guild, for a place you can turn to.

If you're having suicidal thoughts, let me just say that a lot of us have been where you are. Maybe not the exact situation, but a lot of us have been bullied, been alienated, lost family... but we're still here. The reason is our lives have changed and gotten better.

It may seem like high school may never end, but, excuse my improperly timed joke, at least it's not middle school! However unbearable it is now, trust me it gets better and when you get there it's worth the wait.

If you're ever feeling like it's all not worth it anymore, reach out. Come here, call the Trevor Project (1-800-4-U-TREVOR). There are people here to support you.

Here's some encouraging thoughts from the It Gets Better project:

From the GGSA
Jon, Ice God Zolo, Cyrus the Elder

Celebrities
Zachary Quinto, Kathy Griffin, Ellen DeGeneres, Neil Patrick Harris, Jake Shears, Sarah Silverman, Jason Derulo, Ashley Tisdale and Hellcat Cats, Dan Savage, Andy Cohen, Wicked Cast Members, Chris Colfer, Rob Thomas, Kim Kardashian, Joel Burns, Broadway Stars, Matt Doyle

Internet Personalities
Davey Wavey, Two Gay Virgos, Brian Gallivan (Sassy Gay Friend)

If you want to share your own story on how it got better (text or video), please post it as a response to this Announcement.

Have a great day and remember that you are part of a very large community who is here to support you.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:31 am
My Story

I went to a Catholic elementary school, where I was bullied and it never really bothered me because I've never really cared what others think. However, it did teach me to be low key. Hence, when I moved to a public middle school and high school, then beyond into Catholic high school, I wasn't really bothered, but on the opposite side, ignored.

My story's not really so much a result from my being gay as much as a complete nerd, but I have a feeling a lot of people from the gay community can relate because my situation was that I was alienated. I didn't have many friends in high school and the ones I did have, I didn't really feel like I could open up to.

My Junior year was a significantly rough patch. I spent more time on the computer than anywhere else because at least I had forums online. However, for me, that wasn't enough, because I truly wanted to feel like I belonged somewhere. I got more and more depressed and started withdrawing from everything. Long story short, I eventually attempted to kill myself, but obviously was unsuccessful.

I couldn't be more happy that I didn't succeed. The next year, my senior year of high school, we had a transfer student from Texas and she was AMAZING! We became best friends and that was just the start. My first year of college, I was actually popular. Who would have thought?!? I had more friends than I could count. People actually invited ME to stuff! I joined a bunch of organizations, got really involved. I couldn't be more happier.

All I have to say, is one day you'll actually appreciate the hardships that you've been through because they really help you appreciate life on a level that others can't imagine. You just have to stick through the rough times.

Also, I can't recommend college enough to anyone. It's such a welcoming environment for EVERYONE. It's such a great experience and well worth it.

Also, here's my favorite song that I listen to when feeling down. It definitely puts things in perspective:

The Middle - Jimmy Eat World  

iMito
Vice Captain

Stonerr

6,650 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:16 am
User Image
I would have to say that post-secondary institutions are a great place to be yourself and familiarize yourself with the community.
At our school, we offer many information sessions, guest speakers, campus-wide events, and often multi-school collaborations!

I will most definitely wear purple on October 20th.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:49 pm
My best friend told me about this and we're both doing. I'll be sure to tell others (: Can't wait!

And I agree, things do get better. Middle school was absolute hell for me, everyone was rude and I felt like I couldn't really tell anyone. I feared for my own safety and was always threatened by other students. Luckily, nothing happened, but it's an abslute tragedy that it happens to other people.

High school, however, has been pretty good so far (It's only my freshman year and about a month in, so there isn't much to say yet...). People are so much nicer and generally more accepting, and even a few of my teacher's know. It does get better, just hang in there and find people who love and accept you (:  

Boss-Like Behavior

Bitchy pirate

10,175 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:53 pm
Found out abou this yesterday, I am going to bringing it up at our next GSA meet! Its a good cause, I mean to remember the lives the homophobia has taken.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:08 pm
my friend goes to a very strict catholic school. someone found out she liked girls and beat her up. to say the least she felt so bad she was going to cut herself. luckily i had gone over to her house that day after school. i spent the whole night writing the best things i liked about her all over her walls and hugging her senseless. i unfortunately ran out of wall to write on so i did it on her instead...

i also punched the kid who beat her up the next day...

its been almost 5 years since that incedent and we still are BFFL~! in fact... we consider ourselves sisters from other misters~!

im sad though... she moved away last year so now our talk time is limited....

NO ONE and i mean no one should have the power to make you doubt yourself or your life... you are beautiful! you are unique! no one can change that... nor should they....

why?
because
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ^,^  

silver-vixen-babydoll

Ruthless Regular

21,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Rors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:17 pm
I just learned about it right now.
Gonna, break out that purple tie.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:16 pm
I hope you don't mind me quoting you, it's to remind me to wear purple since I have terrible memory D:  

Emo Kuromi Nui

Everyday Loiterer

Sin Error

Elder

7,850 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:02 pm
When i saw this I just felt like a little bit of light had lighten up my future with my boyfriend, this is something big and i'm so happy it's being taken care of, this has been a issue for years, a problem that i've witnessed with my own eyes.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:14 am
I hate when people try to commit suicide. It is the single most cowardly thing a person can do. I had a friend who chugged a thing of cleaning fluid to kill herself. She failed and ended up in a mental ward. It is the most idiotic thing you can do. You think you'll kill yourself and it will be all over, but it wont. Not only is there the immense possibility of failure that may leave you in a comatose state, but also, don't you ever think of your families and friends. How they would feel if you died!!!!! Suicide is a childish and idiotic way to avoid your problems. Think of the impact from your death before you try it. Think of your family and friends, think of how they would feel if you died. Would they blame themselves? What if they got so depressed about your death that they tried to commit suicide themselves. Or what if you fail, you could end up in a coma, or in a mental ward. Your life would be even worse then it was before and there would be nothing you could do. Suicide wouldn't be an option since your so closely monitored. What would you do. Are you willing to take those risks. If so, I personally believe you to be an idiot who cares for no one but yourself. You can delete my comment, but this is how I feel.  

Lil Sanguis

5,800 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

zomgloverly

Deceased Ghoulfriend

15,900 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Trick or Treat Yo'self 500
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:02 pm
If you have a facebook check it out this link.
Wear purple tomorrow!
]http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=122462384475928&index=1  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:13 am
Lil Sanguis
I hate when people try to commit suicide. It is the single most cowardly thing a person can do. I had a friend who chugged a thing of cleaning fluid to kill herself. She failed and ended up in a mental ward. It is the most idiotic thing you can do. You think you'll kill yourself and it will be all over, but it wont. Not only is there the immense possibility of failure that may leave you in a comatose state, but also, don't you ever think of your families and friends. How they would feel if you died!!!!! Suicide is a childish and idiotic way to avoid your problems. Think of the impact from your death before you try it. Think of your family and friends, think of how they would feel if you died. Would they blame themselves? What if they got so depressed about your death that they tried to commit suicide themselves. Or what if you fail, you could end up in a coma, or in a mental ward. Your life would be even worse then it was before and there would be nothing you could do. Suicide wouldn't be an option since your so closely monitored. What would you do. Are you willing to take those risks. If so, I personally believe you to be an idiot who cares for no one but yourself. You can delete my comment, but this is how I feel.

eek Well that wasn't callous and belittling of the whole reason we are doing this at all! Depression, believe it or not, is a mental disorder. Not just an emotion but a MENTAL DISORDER that people can develop. Saying suicide is bad and if failed can have dire consequences is fine because it's true but you do realize you just called mentally ill people, sometimes in need of a temporary stay in an institution (from personal experience: my sister did) for their safety, cowards right? Care to knock over a wheelchair while you're at it? Did it ever occur to you people having those thoughts who read that will not go "you're right I'm all happy now! biggrin " but instead may feel even WORSE?

I thought this guild was about tolerance and support. If people are allowed to make hateful remarks like that here I'm out. I joined for support not to read absolutely sickening accusations. Feel free to boot ME out if you disagree because if you agree with her I'd ban MYSELF.  

Kari Twilight Mist

Shameless Bibliophile

iMito
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:33 am
Lil Sanguis

This isn't appropriate for this thread. If we were asking for your opinion, maybe. However, please understand that this thread is meant to honor those who lost their lives. This kind of commentary has no place here and could be considered similar to West Borough Baptist Church at a military funeral, if that helps put it in perspective.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:13 am
i am wearing purple IRL right now. heart
my heart & warmest support go out to all those struggling with societal mistreatment, & the families/friends of those who couldn't take the pain anymore.
i am here for anyone who needs a shoulder to cry on or a sleeve to blow their nose into. 3nodding

rabbitinthemoon

6,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

Ovine Shrimp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:18 am
Avvie has some purple, and will be trying to wear some purple today when I go out for class. It won't be a very dark purple because I don't have that color wardrobe wise, but still!

I am also here for anyone in need.  
Memorable Threads Archive

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces