Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pythonesque
Crew

Kawaii Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:35 pm
We've all had those books we couldn't get past the first few pages.

Mine are: Holes & A Wrinkle in Time

I always hear great things about both, so I feel like I should go back and try to read them again. I did that with The Giver and fell in love with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:15 pm
I tried to read The Giver once. I couldn't do it. I've got it in my room, though, and you've jogged my memory, so I'll probably go do that now.

Dune was a big problem for me, as well as:
- Moby d**k
- Song of the Sparrow
- Where the Red Fern Grows
- Heidi

And a few others that don't spring to mind, but are there nonetheless.  

ArterialCaucus

Bashful Zealot

13,850 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Millenium Joker

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:19 pm
The Twilight series.

'Nuff said.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:51 pm
My worst was "Cat's Eye" by Margeret Atwood. Read it back freshman year and hated all 500 or so pages of it. I keep thinking I should try a re-read, though, because I read the Wiki article recetnly and went "That sounds like a good book."

A close second was "Things Fall Apart." In sophomore english. Only book I refused to do the final essay on.  

exdraghunt

pythonesque
Crew

Kawaii Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:54 pm
Millenium Joker
The Twilight series.

'Nuff said.

Oh, that one, too.
I think I block it out of my mind.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:21 pm
Eragon. Worst. Book. EVER.  

SugarRos

W00tification

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:39 pm
I cold blood. I am sorry that thing is a dried up annoying as hell book to follow. Murders are supposed to be interesting. This was a love affair between writer and killer. D:

Twilight.

Lord of the rings. YOU DO NOT NEED 5 PARAGRAPHS TO DESCRIBE A ROCK...I AM SORRY BUT NO. JUST NO.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:29 am
Twilight of course.

Son of a Witch. I loved Wicked, but Son of a Witch... just no...

Seeing Redd. Again, I read the first and thought it was good, but I don't the guy should've written a sequel.

The Da Vinci Code. For some reason, I hated it. It never actually caught my attention.  

Todd186

Xiao Xianyu

4,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:43 pm
Twilight, definitely. Just plain poor writing.

A Child of Elvish. Nothing like ruining a good first book by writing a horrible sequel. Especially one that ruins the sacrifices people made in the original, and the torture other people lived through to get to that moment.

Area 51. I so thought I'd love the series, it seemed to be about some of my favorite subjects and then...ugh. Just...stupid, pointless deaths annoy me. Spending alot of time to rescue someone you then give a pointless, stupid death is ten times as bad.

(Well, darn. Lord of the Rings and A Wrinkle in Time are some of my staple reads if I feel like a good book and don't feel like searching out a new one.)  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:26 pm
Xiao Xianyu
Twilight, definitely. Just plain poor writing.
(Well, darn. Lord of the Rings and A Wrinkle in Time are some of my staple reads if I feel like a good book and don't feel like searching out a new one.)
✫✫✫

I'm going to have to try to read Wrinkle in Time again soon.
It's been ... 7 years since I tried to read it, so I might like it now!

The Da Vinci Code couldn't capture my attention, either.
✫✫✫  

pythonesque
Crew

Kawaii Fatcat

Feline Anachronism

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:32 pm
-Twilight
-Of Mice and Men
-Shannara
-The Old Man and the Sea
-Hamlet
-Waiting for Godot
-Rosencrantz & Guildernstern are Dead

Okay, technically the last three are plays, but after reading them, I just wanted to drop my brain in bleach.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:52 am
Twilight. Couldn't get past the first few pages.

I'd rather read Lovecraft's short stories, and a lot of those leave me paranoid for DAYS.  

VenusRain

Timid Guildswoman

8,350 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Arabian Sad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:57 am
Twilight, I read up to page 50 and have no intention of continuing; I'll never retrieve those lost brain cells. I was never a big fan of purple prose, vampires, or Mary Sues to begin with.

Remnants, I read the series greedily; correction, the 5 out of 14 scattered books that I was able to get my hands on which may have made my experience with the story that much worse. I had grown attached to a lot of the characters. It began with 80 of them and ended with maybe 11. Since I didn't have the entire series, I would have to put the pieces together and discover on my own who all died where I was absent. The ending hardly justified the means; they struggled to reach this broken piece of home which became a barren place. At the end, I was consumed by an overwhelming feeling of emptiness and wishing I had never read the series. I MIGHT read the series again one day, this time with all the books, but I doubt I'll feel any different at the end.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:16 am
my mother bought me eragon, because she decided it looked like something i would read. i gave it a try, but could not finish the first chapter. it was boring and i just did. not. care.

animal farm is the first book i ever read that inspired raw revulsion. i had to read that book in 8th grade. but, as it did make me CARE, i'm going to rank it higher than erigan.

did not even bother reading twilight.  

megrar

Unbeatable Prophet

15,475 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Bookworm 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50

damaged-reality

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:27 pm
There are WAY worse books then twilight.

Like Shoebag.

That was a horrible book.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas