Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
Is it easier for gays or easier for lesbians to come out? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sin Error

Elder

7,850 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:00 am
What do you think?
I think where I live it's easier for girls to come out than guys, since not once i've seen a gay couple holding hands here, but i've seen a lot of lesbians out in public holding hands.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:05 am
It was easier for me to come out well i am bisexual but when I had my first girlfriend it was easy though my mom kinda thought it was weird but accepted it just like everyone else. I still haven't told my one of my older brothers for reasons lol.  

Saleni

Destructive-Kiwi

Dapper Gekko

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Generous 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:08 am
I sometimes think that it is harder for guys to come out than girls, but where I live it's openly accepted.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:51 am
I think it's generally harder for guys to come out, although girls experience homophobia as well. It's just more acceptable for women to be bi/lesbian though I think xD

Both girls and guys will probably run into homophobic/less accepting behaviour though.

I mean I've gone to sleepovers where I was out to most people and it just came up in conversation that I had a girlfriend, and this girl was terrified to sleep next to me that night. She was very open about it too =S

I'm pretty sure my friend think I'm bullshitting or that I'm just looking for attention because she always comes out with comments like "You know, realistically speaking Jess, there's going to come a day when both you and I are going to have to start using birth control".

I've been out to her for years =S She's just kind of annoying.

And coming out to parents is horrible whether you're a guy or a girl. Doesn't matter.

I haven't run into any major homophobia other than my dad and my ex's parents (my dad doesn't know about me but he's homophobic in general) so I'd consider myself lucky that I live in a relatively accepting area.

My point is you run into homophobia whether you're gay or lesbian, but lesbians generally have it easier in my opinion.

Billy Breakin Forks

thISkayla

Blessed Fairy

7,350 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:58 pm
User Image

Coming out is very personal and different for everyone, but I think in our society it is more socially acceptable for women.

I think the reason it is more acceptable for women is due to the way we are objectified in the media. We are stereotyped as every straight man's fantasy. The image of two women, despite their sexuality, is used frequently to sell products to men and women, be it a beer commercial or a Victoria's Secret ad. Women are also more fluid with their sexuality because of this and are more open to have bisexual tendencies than men because of this stereotype too ... just imagine how many women you've seen making out with one another in a bar or club to get attention ...

On the flip side, there is more homophobia targeted towards men than women. (How many women have been publicized for being the victim of a homophobic hate crime? yet, we have Mathew Shepard and gay adolescents committing suicide due to harassment at school daily.) I hate to say it, but I know people personally who have no problem with me being a lesbian, but are intolerant or uncomfortable around gay men.

Unfortunately that is the way society is ... but I believe that, just like the civil rights movements in the 1960s ... gay rights are going to have to be addressed sooner rather than later and that we are going to see progress being made that give us more rights and provide the equality and freedom that we deserve. One day it will happen exclaim

And once it does, the easier it will be for all GLBTQ people to step out and be proud of who they are.

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
to parents, its an even 50/50
to friends, its easier for girls, because most guys like lesbians/bi girls, where as most ppl dnt like guy on guy action...  

C9100

Aka0kami

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:17 pm
I guess it really depends on the area you live in. But I bet as time passes by, eventually it will be accepted. ^^

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:23 pm
thISkayla
User Image

I think the reason it is more acceptable for women is due to the way we are objectified in the media. We are stereotyped as every straight man's fantasy. The image of two women, despite their sexuality, is used frequently to sell products to men and women, be it a beer commercial or a Victoria's Secret ad. Women are also more fluid with their sexuality because of this and are more open to have bisexual tendencies than men because of this stereotype too ... just imagine how many women you've seen making out with one another in a bar or club to get attention ...

User Image

Isn't that supposed to be called 'bar-sexual'? I heard someone say that Katy Perry's 'I Kissed a Girl' was promoting 'bar-sexuality', where women would just make out with another girl, like you said.

In my area, the guys have a harder time. The guys around here are supposed to be tough and "'ard'". It's stupid. Because apparently, if you're gay, you're not tough.
And if you're a cute girl who likes girls, then the guys automatically like you and want you to hang out with them so you can kiss girls in front of them.
It's so stupid.  

Bollicina

6,100 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250

Harmony8910

4,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:17 am
I think it would be hard for a male to out hisself, because males are thought to be masculine and tough, and anything less than that would be considered wrong or weird. I think for some reason people think when your a gay male, you're not masculine or tough, which is why it's probably hard to tell anyone your gay if your a male. All the lesbians or female bisexuals I've known has no problem telling anyone, but all the gay or male bisexuals have. Besides, most males for some strange reason, always have this fantasy of two females kissing(pigs!).  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:06 am
Harmony8910
I think it would be hard for a male to out hisself, because males are thought to be masculine and tough, and anything less than that would be considered wrong or weird. I think for some reason people think when your a gay male, you're not masculine or tough, which is why it's probably hard to tell anyone your gay if your a male. All the lesbians or female bisexuals I've known has no problem telling anyone, but all the gay or male bisexuals have. Besides, most males for some strange reason, always have this fantasy of two females kissing(pigs!).

That is a very ignorant statement. What about all the yaoi fan girls in the world? they are exactly the same... What I have bold is a generalisation of the male species and I find it sexist...  

Don Caballero

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:27 pm
Speaking from the viewpoint of society, it is easier for girls. They're usually seen more as sexual deviants (cue the viewpoint that a guy who scores five girls is a stud while a girl who gets five guys is a whore) so females being bisexual or homosexual is generally more tolerated due to that. Combined with the associations that all gays are whiny and sissies while real men have to be tough, it makes it a lot harder from a social standpoint to be a homosexual guy than a homosexual girl. From a personal standpoint, it might be about the same, but nothing is ever truly personal in this world.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:55 pm
xYuki Yoru
I guess it really depends on the area you live in. But I bet as time passes by, eventually it will be accepted. ^^

Yep! I came out and every one was awkward for a while... but it seems more with guys & where some one lives.  

trichodezia

Illuminated Spirit

DreamingSilverfox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:58 pm
While it does heavily depend on the area, I do have to say I personally feel it would be 'easier' for women to come out.

Unfortunately, a large part of society is still focussed on gender rolls in the sense of 'men can take more', 'its' okay to hit a man and not a woman' and whatnot. I've noticed more open hate crimes are focussed toward gay men than women, though of course that isn't to say lesbian women don't experience it as well. I just think in terms of higher threat, gay males experience it more often.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:49 pm
In general I think it's easier for women because men are expected to be all macho, and dating another man is something considered to be like the total opposite of macho. While women, even if straight, are alot of times very intimate with eachother and are not afraid to show it.
Then if you take in the idiotic idea that lesbians are not really lesbians, they just haven't found the right guy yet that alot of people seem to have. (for some reason, if a guy is gay he's gay but if a woman is a lesbian, shes not really.) And the way stupid men want to see lesbians kissing and such as if they have a chance. (Not all guys just the stupid ones.)
But at the same time, you can't really compare the two because both have different expectations placed upon them that they have to deal with. Men are supposed to be manly and women are supposed to make kids with men.
And also everyone has different situations.
Plus the place that you live comes into play too.

And Im aware the guys watching lesbians kissing can go the other with guys kissing or whatever but I don't believe that makes it easier for men to come out. Depending on who exactly they are coming out to.

NegaScott_7x7

O.G. Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200

Pink Slowpoke

Liberal Man-Lover

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:33 am
If you ask girls they say it's harder for them.
If you ask guys they say it's harder for them.
Basically both face different problems and neither can be said to be harder or easier (depends on the situation).

General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff