Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
This is so sad Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:33 pm
This is an article about a boy who gave up his life to save his brother in the flooding here recently.
I think it's very humbling and has touched the hearts of thousands of people. This boy is an absolute hero.
If it came down to it, would you really give up your life for someone else?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:22 pm
Admittingly I'm scared of death and dying, even though I know I have a date with doom sooner or later in my life. sweatdrop  

Kosai Avonej

Elder

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:44 pm
I actually just read that.

Giving my life for someone is one of those things that, I'd like to think I'd do, but, really, the only way I'd be able to answer is when the moment came for me to put up or shut up. If I gave my life for someone, it'd have to be suddenly, because I can't fathom doing what that boy did, consciously, especially since I consider drowning to be one of the worst ways to die.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:56 pm
Nexus Carbuncle
I actually just read that.

Giving my life for someone is one of those things that, I'd like to think I'd do, but, really, the only way I'd be able to answer is when the moment came for me to put up or shut up. If I gave my life for someone, it'd have to be suddenly, because I can't fathom doing what that boy did, consciously, especially since I consider drowning to be one of the worst ways to die.

I know what you mean, I feel the same. I'd like to think I'd do that for one of my brothers, but in the actual moment, I really don't know what I'd do.  

de.Lici.ous
Crew

Renard Muldrake

Clean Capitalist

6,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:22 pm
I'd love to be able to you that I'd give my life for the safety of another, but then I'd be lying.
At heart I'm selfish, & cowardly, & so I can't say I absolutely wouldn't risk my life for that of another, I can say I feel it'd be unlikely.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:51 pm
There was another one where a couple died saving their children. If i can find the article, i'll link it.

It's a horrible situation. 14 confirmed dead and 70 still missing. Thousands have lost thier homes. There is also a cyclone set to hit further north tonight.  

coldheartedangel

Omnipresent Elder

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:38 pm
coldheartedangel
There was another one where a couple died saving their children. If i can find the article, i'll link it.

It's a horrible situation. 14 confirmed dead and 70 still missing. Thousands have lost thier homes. There is also a cyclone set to hit further north tonight.

2 cyclones, if the low up north develops. There's a small one just out from WA at the moment, and a low near Cairns.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:44 am
I saw this on Tumblr and just cried. I am glad that all of this mess is getting recognized even over here in the states, because that way we can send over some help and people can donate. Chris Colfer (who is a Glee co-star) tweeted about this with a link to where people can donate, and it's all over Tumblr with hotlines and places you can call and try and help out. I'm glad for that.

Would I give up my life for someone else? My sister, my mom, or my aunt, in a ******** heartbeat. Anyone else, I'd really have to be in the situation to know for sure. That's probably awful of me, but I don't know how I'd react since I've never had to make that kind of choice before.  

comfylove
Crew

angelfromdown-under

Romantic Whisperer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:44 am
Its a terrible situation...makes me glad that we are safe...for now xP
The floods are to the north and south of us at the moment.

Theres a place near us we are going to drop donations in at this weekend that are going to take a truck up next week (if the flood waters recede enough) ^_^

And Woolworths as a company is matching dollar for dollar evey donation made at any Big W, Woolies or d**k Smith store till next thursday ^_^

True Aussie spirit is really shining through <3  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:41 am
The Mum let go as soon as her kid was swept away... I find that so upsetting, I know my Mum would do exactly the same thing if that happened to me or my sister regardless sad  

scrub
Crew

AquilaLiberum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:59 am
I heard this today, and just read a story there about the floods. It's so heartbreaking, the stories have really disturbed me. That boy is such a hero, to have the courage to do something like that at such a young age.

I always used to say I'd give my life for my family and closest friends. But thinking about it properly, I'm not sure I'd have it in me. That makes me feel like complete and utter s**t. He was so brave.

~Nya-ha!~
blaugh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:44 pm
I'd kill myself in order to save my sister &/or
my closest three cousins: Ashley [&her kid],
Miranda, & Gagaaa. (:
If it were anyone else, I just don't know.
I can't say until I'm in that situation &
hopefully I never am...

SweetScentOfSweat

6,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Citizen 200

coldheartedangel

Omnipresent Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:01 pm
It really does show how strong we can be as a country though. We have been told that item donations are no longer needed because they have enough for the moment.

We are up to 15 confirmed dead and 55 missing when i last saw the news.
10 people have been arrested for looting and i hope they are put in jail for a /very/ long time >_>

There is now flooding down in Victoria and Southern New South Wales. A small town of Goondiwindi is currently only a few cm shy of the water coming over the levy and flooding that town.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:32 pm
Oh man.. My first thought is that all kids should be taught how to swim, but floodwater is something else. Even the strongest pro swimmers can only fight the currents for so long...

The kid went out like a real hero, though. You can't teach that kind of selflessness.  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:45 pm
Google has set up coverage on Maps. It's really effective to get an idea of the size of these floods and affected areas. (Another reason why I love Google).

Check it out:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
The Suites

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff