Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
"Legalize Gay Marriage" Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pandii-kun

Timid Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:31 pm
Only in Ohio? ; n ;

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:53 pm
It's a start!
Maybe you should start your own petition for your own state or location?

Classy Dame

Clever Darling

17,640 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500

Pandii-kun

Timid Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:13 pm
I have no idea how to start one xD;;. I wish there was a petition on the entire United States though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:42 am
Oh im in Ohio!! i hope it passes  

12klk2

6,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200

Rainbow Shrapnel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:56 pm
It's the same as with interracial marriage.
The Supreme Court isn't going to touch it, but, one by one, every state will legalize it.
Some states will hold out much longer than others, granted, but eventually it'll happen.
I know it sucks being told that your love somehow isn't equal to that of people whose naughty bits don't match, but we've got to be patient.
There'll come a time when anyone against gay marriage will be looked at with revulsion, just like anyone today that says interracial marriage should be illegal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:28 pm
my variant: leave those ******** people and their laws and move to a place where people are more developed or something. :l then those nations will kill each other in a world war and we will have to save them and we SHALL.

ta-daah.

Tick_FM

FauxZombie

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:25 pm
Canada has it ninja least most provinces do if I'm not mistakened  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:33 pm
The biggest problem is that states that dont allow gay marriages wont reconize gay marriages in different states, so if you get married in ohio and move to lets say colorado. colorado will not accept or reconize that marriage. sad  

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

Gordums

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:19 am
Not to sound homophobic or oppressive at all - in fact, I'm the complete opposite, but I don't think fighting for gay marriage is really worth it.

In terms of the fight for equality, yes, we should be allowed to marry. But in terms of worth - do we really need marriage?
|I mean it has some benefits that are only available through marriage (ie. being at somebody's death bed and that whole situation, child benefits, and etc.) but at what cost?

The reason I'm against marriage is because it defines your intimacy. It says, "You do not love this person or are committed to this person unless you have your love validated by the State or Church". In other words, you don't love that person unless the Church or State say so. ******** the Church and State. They are the ones who have been oppressing the queer community since forever. And now we have to subjugate ourselves to them again just so we can validate our intimacies?

Another reason I'm against marriage is because it defines how our intimacy works. It regulates it as a heteronormative monogamous relationship. This is problematic because it doesn't allow for open relationships or polyamorous relationships - in fact, it simply labels their marriage as adultery should a couple willingly have a threesome with somebody. As well, I wasn't aware that in order to love somebody, I have to love only them and have sex with only them - or that I love only one person period.

This monogamy further leads into problems such as complete vulnerability. My partner would have complete access to me, my finances, properties, and everything - as I would with my partner. This makes divorce extremely difficult because you have to undo all this inter-meshing. Further more, if my partner were to become abusive or attempt to kill me, he would have complete access to myself - or vice versa.

The only reason I would get married is for the tangible benefits of being able to care for my partner and any children we may have together - should we have any children. Why can I not make a contractual obligation for these benefits, instead of being locked into a patriarchal institution that only further suppresses myself and my partner?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:48 am
I used to really care about gay marriage, but now I am meh about it.
Honestly all I care about is being able to get a green card for my girlfriend.
However they want to do it, civil unions, marriage, domestic partners..I don't care.

But a green card is federal. So that probably wont happen in my lifetime.
crying

Then again, it could be because I live in Massachusetts xp  

Congelata

Prince Ikari

Conservative Victory

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:37 am
I have to agree somewhat with the person who posted above me, that fighting for gay marriage isn't really worth it. I've always believed, not to offend anyone, that gays should opt for civil unions instead. A contractual agreement similar to marriage, but instead give it their own twist since many in the LGBT community are anti-religious. That way they don't feel confined to the roles and obligations of traditional marriage, but can still have a partnership together.  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:07 pm
Gay marriage is legal in Canada.
It is truly a privileged to live here.

I hope the States soon realizes that love is love, and it doesn't matter your sex, age, religion or colour.

In the mean time, why not give him/her a promise ring, and promise one day.  

` M e l ! S S a .

xAlfredxThexHerox

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:12 pm
It's fully legal in the Netherlands ^_^. I feel rather blessed to live here when it comes to such things, since people are rather relaxed about it over here. Makes me hope that other places will change their views on it too!  
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:37 am
It's a right I've always been willing to fight for. If you don't really care about marraige, I hope you at least see the benefit of being able to be covered by each others 'benefits', be able to visit each other in the hospital, as only family is legally allowed to, makes sure parental rights are legally shared and make sure that the person you love inherits what you want them to have. I graduate in a few months and plan to move Canada, but that doesn't mean I won't still be rallying for rights in the States. Having the same rights for everyone across the board needs to be universal, regardless of your personal marraige preferences.  

Raezer

6,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Generous 100

DECEIVERxOFxHEARTS

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:07 am
i hope they legalize it in australia  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff