Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
55 gal Hermit Crabitat Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ananszi

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:14 am
(my old thread: http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=20850769&page=1 )

So. I've set up the salt water end, and have the normal water dish. I've got it filled with sand. I've got some shells, but I need to get a few more. I've got a big piece of drift wood in there. And I've got some of the cholla wood in there. I've also got a net hanging in the background. I need to buy a few things like a couple coconut huts and what not.

But my main question being: What kind of light do I need to buy for them? And what kind of food do I need to keep around the house all the time?

I know that they eat fruit and what not, but it seems like it would be kind of expensive to keep up all the time. I heard they eat like.. fish food flakes? And sun dried shrimp?

Anyway. Can I have a few tips? Even though it's a 55 gallon, I'm actually running out of floor space, so.. I might not get very many, at least not for right now. The ones I do get will be Ecuadorians. I'll post pictures of how the tank looks once I put the coconut huts and whatnot in there.  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:29 am

Our main crab expert Aki isn't here right now due to a personal loss and laptop issues, so i'll try to help until Kip and Cowgirl get here. I dont think fish food is good for a staple. They can have plain cooked chicken, probably fish too. Since summer is coming up, look for farmers markets for good deals on fruits and veggies.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Ananszi

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:48 am
I didn't think about the farmers market. Thanks. :]

The chicken is definitely doable. I didn't know they liked it/could eat it.

I might've forgot to add (I was tired when I posted that, and I just now woke up from a nap), that I won't be getting the hermit crabs until mid July. Right now I'm just setting up the tank how I like it and everything. I'll also be making sure that the salt water part is good to go. I've never messed with salt water before. :S We have plenty of fish tanks.. but they're all fresh water.  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:17 pm
here is a list of safe foods that Aki linked me to ages ago (I printed it off,cause I got sick of having to look every time to check if something was edible) here is the UNSAFE foods list, they can also eat raw meats,but,some people dont like to do that,cause it harbors bacteria,she also told me that in the summer they prefer berries and sweet foods (however you WILL want to keep a protein source available to deter cannibalism) and in the winter they prefer more protein they will still love their foods if theyre old (mine are currently munching on a scrambled egg loaf thats like 3 weeks old,I have NO idea how it has stayed good that long haha) or fresh

I usually remove mine depending on what it is,USUALLY scrambled eggs can last only like 3 days before smelling completely rancid,and turning liquidy gonk they also like ground hamburger,which can last a long while,as it tends to dry out rather than mold,DONT use any spices,some are ok,but alot arent,I prefer not to take a chance,I dont know anything about lighting,mine have natural lighting or my lamp,cause I read that heat lamps are not good for them,as they dry them out,but you could join the hermit crab association (the website with the food list) and ask...

(also,when cooking meat,if its chicken,I ususally boil a bunch and freeze it,then thaw some when Im gonna feed it,OR if its hamburger (ground) I brown a bunch,then freeze it,lots of freezing haha) also IMPORTANT!! they NEED some freeze dried crickets,cause the shell of the cricket (exoskeliton) helps them get a nutrient to build strong exos of their own)  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Ananszi

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:55 pm
Thank you very much. :]

About the freeze dried crickets.. where do you buy them? I only have a crested gecko, and I feed him the CGD so I haven't really worried about crickets or anything.  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:15 pm
Ananszi

About the freeze dried crickets.. where do you buy them? I only have a crested gecko, and I feed him the CGD so I haven't really worried about crickets or anything.
you can get them at like petsmart,they come in I think the turtle section,but you can always ask,theyre in tubes,and dont worry if there is other things like krill or things like that mixed in,they can have that too smile also STAY AWAY from Painted shells,theyre EVIL,but,a good place to get shells,is if you dont have a HUGE crab,you can go to walmart,and they have little thiungs of shells,most of the kind of crab you get in the store (purple pinchers) prefer "turbo shells" and you can get like a bunch,and theyre cheaper than buying individually,another place,is some party stores will have them for like decoration,and while a package is usually like 10$ you usually get like 5-6 shells,as apposed to just 3-4 for the same price if you buy them individually  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Ananszi

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:21 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
Ananszi

you can get them at like petsmart,they come in I think the turtle section,but you can always ask,theyre in tubes,and dont worry if there is other things like krill or things like that mixed in,they can have that too smile

Alrighty. Thanks. <3

I take it I should give them a varied diet. You said they need the frozen crickets. So does that mean I should give them crickets more often than other foods? How do you feed them?  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:33 pm
Ananszi
Cowgirl-with-heart
Ananszi

you can get them at like petsmart,they come in I think the turtle section,but you can always ask,theyre in tubes,and dont worry if there is other things like krill or things like that mixed in,they can have that too smile

Alrighty. Thanks. <3

I take it I should give them a varied diet. You said they need the frozen crickets. So does that mean I should give them crickets more often than other foods? How do you feed them?
freeze dried,not frozen (I dont know if there is such thing as frozen crickets) but I just leave mine in a little flat shell,I have them available at all times,and I made my last reply longer,so if you didnt see it (about the shells) please check it out,it could save you some $$ smile  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Ananszi

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:40 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
Ananszi
Cowgirl-with-heart
Ananszi

Alrighty. Thanks. <3

freeze dried,not frozen (I dont know if there is such thing as frozen crickets) but I just leave mine in a little flat shell,I have them available at all times,and I made my last reply longer,so if you didnt see it (about the shells) please check it out,it could save you some $$ smile

Oops! Sorry, that's what I meant. That's what I get for being in a hurry to go and grab food. :P - Don't worry.. I've read about the painted shells.. and besides.. I don't like the way they look. ._.

I did actually buy a bag like that at Michaels craft store (Wal-Mart didn't have a big enough selection.. that's what I get for living out in the middle of nowhere.) and there were some shells that someone said would work for the E's. I was like "YESSSS!" So I have those in there at the moment.  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:51 pm
Ananszi
Cowgirl-with-heart
Ananszi
Cowgirl-with-heart
Ananszi

Alrighty. Thanks. <3

Oops! Sorry, that's what I meant. That's what I get for being in a hurry to go and grab food. :P - Don't worry.. I've read about the painted shells.. and besides.. I don't like the way they look. ._.

I did actually buy a bag like that at Michaels craft store (Wal-Mart didn't have a big enough selection.. that's what I get for living out in the middle of nowhere.) and there were some shells that someone said would work for the E's. I was like "YESSSS!" So I have those in there at the moment.
oh good 3nodding if in the future you have any questions,you can message me,and I'll get back to you as soon as I can,with the answer if I know it smile (you can keep adding here for now haha)  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Ananszi

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:54 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
Ananszi
Cowgirl-with-heart
Ananszi
Cowgirl-with-heart
Ananszi

Alrighty. Thanks. <3

oh good 3nodding if in the future you have any questions,you can message me,and I'll get back to you as soon as I can,with the answer if I know it smile (you can keep adding here for now haha)

Sounds good. :] Thank you veryyy much!!  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:56 pm
Ananszi
Cowgirl-with-heart
Ananszi
Cowgirl-with-heart
Ananszi

Alrighty. Thanks. <3

Sounds good. :] Thank you veryyy much!!
youre welcome smile  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

SmoothSavage

Eloquent Gawker

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:35 pm
When I had crabbies I ordered a big variety of freeze fried, dehydrated, etc. fruits, vegetables, leaves, spirulina, insects, I can't remember what all. It came packaged in a little plastic container with compartments for each item, plus a serving spoon. It was a great way to get them tons of variety, and no risk of rotting. I still gave fresh foods too, but the dried stuff was mostly things I could not get ahold of.

This was years ago though. Let me try and find the site for you.

Edit: Got it, or something similar. I couldn't find the one with the whole plastic container, but this site sells small packets of various different items to use in a crabby item, and they have variety packs for $4.00. Looks like they have tons of other neat stuff too!

http://www.hermitcrabaddictionstore.com/catalog.php/vckumsll/ct27667/Can_I_Have_A_Taste_

Edit again: I lied! Look in the "Basic Essentials" section on the sidebar... they have whole starter diet kits.  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:25 pm
Savage Destiny
When I had crabbies I ordered a big variety of freeze fried, dehydrated, etc. fruits, vegetables, leaves, spirulina, insects, I can't remember what all. It came packaged in a little plastic container with compartments for each item, plus a serving spoon. It was a great way to get them tons of variety, and no risk of rotting. I still gave fresh foods too, but the dried stuff was mostly things I could not get ahold of.

Edit: Got it, or something similar. I couldn't find the one with the whole plastic container, but this site sells small packets of various different items to use in a crabby item, and they have variety packs for $4.00. Looks like they have tons of other neat stuff too!

http://www.hermitcrabaddictionstore.com/catalog.php/vckumsll/ct27667/Can_I_Have_A_Taste_

Edit again: I lied! Look in the "Basic Essentials" section on the sidebar... they have whole starter diet kits.
gonk quit lying savage its mean! lol

EDIT: emo I thought you said "I lied agan" only doing it once doesnt make my joke a joke...  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Ananszi

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:20 am
Savage Destiny

Ahh.. thank you for that link. :] Any idea how long a bag like that would last me?  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff