Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
So the world didn't end... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:10 am
I still have to pay off my credit card debts. Dammit.

I'm surprised Kosai didn't make a thread about the world ending hypothesis.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:53 am
I thought the whole thing was amusing myself...all the people that majorly got themselves in debt/sold all their stuff etc etc

Although on a sadder note i see a lot of suicide in the next few months due to all this >_<  

angelfromdown-under

Romantic Whisperer

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:33 am
If the Rapture WERE to happen on a Saturday night, I'm pretty sure that'd just be a form of some divine trolling; God decides to test his true followers by calling them home during a time when most of them are having promiscuous sex, drinking, doing drugs, and in general, things the bible clearly says NOT to do.

It's a damn good thing for most that it didn't happen. xD

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:11 pm
World may end in 2036 last I checked because of a close sling by of a near earth object Apophis in 2029 pulling it in close enough that on it's next pass by after slingshoting around the sun it may directly hit earth. Statistically life could die out on earth due to global cooling from the massive pocket of dust that will be pounded up into the stratosphere from the impact. If thats not for certain we have about 500 million years before the sun exhausts it's rich supply of hydrogen cells to continue fusing into energy and balloons into a red giant star ( it'll swell up and eat up the earth ) followed by another 200 million years of this state before it finally turns into a Crystalized Rock about the size of Jupiter.

Instead of offering a hypothesis I'm going to offer some advice - Don't spend your life worrying about tomorrow or your life twenty some odd years up the road because then you won't ever be able to appreciate the present. It's not bad to plan ahead but don't forget your alive today.

On the subject of Camping, he should be lobotomized and forced to reimburse his follows. His little shtick made him a revenue of about 100 million dollars or so this past year, people sold houses and gave up they're livelyhoods over this ridiculous numerology that he doesn't deserve to have the freedom of religion shield him in a court of law.

I could go on and on but I won't, as I gander this is probably what Camping wants so he can scare us again and add his own fuel to another date in the near future. We'll all be going over this again very soon once more in a year and a half.  

Kosai Avonej

Elder

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:03 am
It's actually five billion years before the sun goes red giant on us, and we'll have killed ourselves off long before then.

As far as I'm concerned, we're all going to die any way. At some point, each and every one of us has to go. All the end of the world means is that we all go at the same time. Panicking over it is really stupid.
neutral

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:51 am
Did anyone actually believe that guy?

If so, he must be reaaaally charismatic, or people must have really wanted to believe it.  

~ Milk Mynk ~

Annai-chansan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:39 pm
If you think about it, the world is working on ending every day. A date-like Nexus said- for people to panic over is really a bit silly.

It'll probably all happen when we're all asleep anyway XD  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:48 pm
GOSH GUYS. HE JUST MESSED IT UP IN HIS HEAD. HE NOW UNDERSTANDS THE REAL, REAL RAPTURE IS IN 5 MONTHS. THE 21ST WAS JUST THE SPIRITUAL RAPTURE.

AND YOU DIDN'T BELIEVE IN HIM. GOSH.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

Aaditya

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:14 pm
de.Lici.ous
I still have to pay off my credit card debts. Dammit.

My sentiments exactly. How else could you get out of soooo much money?  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:03 pm
Nexus Carbuncle
It's actually five billion years before the sun goes red giant on us, and we'll have killed ourselves off long before then.

As far as I'm concerned, we're all going to die any way. At some point, each and every one of us has to go. All the end of the world means is that we all go at the same time. Panicking over it is really stupid.
neutral
The death of ones self is beyond human comprehension, thats why we are afaird of dying.  

Kosai Avonej

Elder

Dilemical Epiphany

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:54 am
THE WORLD CAN NOT END. IF YOU THINK THE WORLD CAN END YOU ARE IGNORANT.
Life is infinite and as long as we have a duty to right the wrongs on this Earth and rejoice peacefully as a united one, this world will keep on chugging along.

Your hoplessness needs to take a turn for the better and seek some optimism.  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:15 am
I was watching this show called Men of Rock, which is about geology (because I'm a nerd, I guess), and it showed all kinds of cool stuff about continental drift and how mountains are formed. And it also showed different landscape features which were created by glaciers. The next ice age will happen before the sun even thinks about killing us off, and when it does, everything in the glaciers' paths will be completely obliterated. Thinking about it, it's sort of sad because we'll lose so much human history, and sort of scary because the entire world's population will be displaced towards the equator. Imagine the future even-more-populated world being squished together like that. It'll be chaos, I tell you!

Anyway, I'm just babbling, but that kind of thing is far more interesting to me than any supposed rapture. XD  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:59 pm
So this global warming business is just a scam?!  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:49 pm
Not at all.

http://www.adn.com/2010/10/21/1512714/arctic-temperature-increase-accelerates.html

The cycles for ice ages are tens of thousands of years and have to do with planetary orbit and tilt. We are somewhere in the middle between them, closer to the next one than the last. But I believe there isn't expected to be more than a couple hundred years of fossil fuels left. So the game is to see if we can wipe ourselves out before the next ice age does. xD  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Dilemical Epiphany

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:48 pm
Szen
Not at all.

http://www.adn.com/2010/10/21/1512714/arctic-temperature-increase-accelerates.html

The cycles for ice ages are tens of thousands of years and have to do with planetary orbit and tilt. We are somewhere in the middle between them, closer to the next one than the last. But I believe there isn't expected to be more than a couple hundred years of fossil fuels left. So the game is to see if we can wipe ourselves out before the next ice age does. xD

Essentially yea. ^  
The Suites

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces