Submit

MacKoons the Raccoon

Timid Cat

10,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Timid 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:14 pm
Hey, I'm back with more cat news. Smokey, our 2 year old cat, has FIP, Feline Infectis Peritonitis. My other two cats are going to get tested for it soon. Luckly, the dog and ourselves can't catch it.

Feline infectious peritonitis (FIP) is a disease caused by a coronavirus infection. Many different strains of coronavirus are capable of infecting cats, but most do not produce serious disease. FIP-producing strains are distinguished by their ability to invade and grow in certain white blood cells.

http://www.chai-online.org/en/companion/health/caring_cat_fip.htm

The article also says that once he has clinical signs of either forms, he is only give up to a year to live....

He's only 2!! It's not fair!

The artical ALSO says that younger cats are more sustble to it... That means Pandora, my Panda kitten, could easily catch it....

Infected cats shed coronavirus in their saliva and feces. Most cats become infected by inhaling or ingesting the virus, either by direct contact with an infected cat, or by contact with virus-contaminated surfaces like clothing, bedding, feeding bowls, or toys.

Our cats share a litter box... We have some directions from our vet on how to keep the other two safe, like clean the box once a day, and trying to keep the two away from Smokey....

But smokey is the adoptive father to the kitten... He always plays with her, and protects her, he teaches her to stay out of things. They play fight all the time... I'm scared now...

There's been a rather large out break of FIP here in Northwestern Iowa... There is no cure for it.... yet....

.... Sorry it was so long, thanks for reading.... I just wanted to vent...  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:42 pm
awe Im sorry thats so sad,maybe they will come up with a cure before hes lost!  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:25 pm
I am so sorry! We just discussed FIP in my Intro to Vet Tech class. Pretty much the best you can do is keep your kitty comfortable. It is POSSIBLE your other cats could have it, but not likely. It's not contagious, really. The virus it mutates from is, but it isn't enough to quarantine the sick one or anything. Just keep litter boxes extra clean.  
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:39 pm
Kipluck
I am so sorry! We just discussed FIP in my Intro to Vet Tech class. Pretty much the best you can do is keep your kitty comfortable. It is POSSIBLE your other cats could have it, but not likely. It's not contagious, really. The virus it mutates from is, but it isn't enough to quarantine the sick one or anything. Just keep litter boxes extra clean.
UPDATE FOR ALL

Yeah... Thank you for your concern. We're getting the other two in on Wednesday. From what we and our vet understand, this is also new to our vet(she's been a vet for years), Smokey has the wet form of FIP, that is, the worse kind... He doesn't have clinical signs yet, and our vet says he's healthy and still has a long while before... Well you know... So we're just making him compfy and happy for now, I just hope he doesn't... yeah... while I'm away in Europe.... My mom has a theory that our new kitten might have brought in the FIP. Panda was a stray and we have no clue where she came from, but we do know that she had a brother. He was found and is living 15 miles from us. He might have it, so our vet has contacted his owners and asked them to get some bloodwork done for him. My mom offered to pay for the work if the family didn't want to.... So, yeah, thats about all of the news I have for you guys....  

MacKoons the Raccoon

Timid Cat

10,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Timid 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items