Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
my lack of gay pride offends straight people Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:35 am
personally i dont see the point in me having gay pride. im not fully gay, and i dont see the point in having pride in something i have nothing to do with. i have no issues with gay pride as long as its not shoved in my face and i do show support for my fellow glbt people and am fine wearing rainbows and other little things.

well anyways, recently ive managed to offend a bunch of straight people becasue i dont have gay pride. these people told me that i need to think of myself as a gay person first becasue thats who i am. personally i would rather be seen as a human being first and a BISEXUAL last. these people were very supporting of the glbt community, a little too supportive imo.

i love the support from our straight buddies but there is a limit. i dont like being told by an ally that i should view my orientation as the most important thing about me  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:12 am
I think LGBT pride parades are a step back and not a step forward for the gay community. It segregates us, stereotypes us, and to me it makes us a laughing stock. Even I find it funny and degrading. Just because you're gay, doesn't mean you have to make a spectacle of yourself or your sexual orientation.  

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:14 pm
I guess I'm glad(?) that I live in the most conservative county in Southern California.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:48 pm
Shilberu Erikku
I think LGBT pride parades are a step back and not a step forward for the gay community. It segregates us, stereotypes us, and to me it makes us a laughing stock. Even I find it funny and degrading. Just because you're gay, doesn't mean you have to make a spectacle of yourself or your sexual orientation.

First of all, I've said this to you a hundred times over: It is not our fault that other people stereotype us. Should an effeminate gay guy feel bad because he's the poster child of what other people think about us? The whole point of pride is being true to yourself, and having pride in who you are. That's the whole f**king message, and just as some people lost this when they parade around wearing barely anything at all, YOU people who condemn those who celebrate it have also no clue what it's about.

During black history month black people aren't mocked because they're being too black. Raising the awareness of what black people had to go through to have the freedoms they do now isn't "rubbing it in people's faces". So why, conveniently, when gay pride comes up people turn their noses up?

I have a theory, and this goes for both gay and straight people who have issues with pride. It all comes to femininity being viewed as a weakness. Shiberu, I can tell you exactly why you have a problem with gay stereotypes, and this goes for everyone else. It's because the gay stereotype pictures all gay men as being effeminate, over the top, queens. This bothers you because you assume other people view you this way because you're gay, and that's a problem because females are considered weak in a man's society, and since gay men are compared to females, you feel as though this makes people think of you as weak.

My solution, as I've told you a hundred times over again, STOP CARING WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK ABOUT YOU! It just makes you come off as being bitter, miserable, self-loathers who have nothing better to do than chastise other people for being happy. Let me ask you a question: Have you ever been to a gay pride festival before? Not read about it, heard about it, seen pictures/videos about it, I mean have you physically been there in person and experienced it for yourself? I have, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Trust me, it's probably nothing like you'd thought it'd be because it wasn't for me. I pictured it to be all flamboyant and over the top, but it isn't. Sure there's those few die-hard extremists, but they don't represent the majority.

That's another thing. Just as you are chastising people for being stereotypes, you are no better than those ignorant morons who stereotype us because you're stereotyping people who go to pride yourself. Ignorance is not an excuse. Before you sit there and judge something, I suggest actually going out and experiencing it yourself. Now I'm by no means trying to force it on you, but I absolutely can not stand it when people sit there with their noses turned up, and judge other people for participating in something they enjoy. If anything is setting back the gay movement, it's people like you. How do you expect straight people to accept us if people within our own community are bashing us?  

Robbie-fyed

Beloved Lunatic

6,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:39 pm
Nettles Hart
Shilberu Erikku

First of all, I've said this to you a hundred times over: It is not our fault that other people stereotype us. Should an effeminate gay guy feel bad because he's the poster child of what other people think about us? The whole point of pride is being true to yourself, and having pride in who you are. That's the whole f**king message, and just as some people lost this when they parade around wearing barely anything at all, YOU people who condemn those who celebrate it have also no clue what it's about.

During black history month black people aren't mocked because they're being too black. Raising the awareness of what black people had to go through to have the freedoms they do now isn't "rubbing it in people's faces". So why, conveniently, when gay pride comes up people turn their noses up?

I have a theory, and this goes for both gay and straight people who have issues with pride. It all comes to femininity being viewed as a weakness. Shiberu, I can tell you exactly why you have a problem with gay stereotypes, and this goes for everyone else. It's because the gay stereotype pictures all gay men as being effeminate, over the top, queens. This bothers you because you assume other people view you this way because you're gay, and that's a problem because females are considered weak in a man's society, and since gay men are compared to females, you feel as though this makes people think of you as weak.

My solution, as I've told you a hundred times over again, STOP CARING WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK ABOUT YOU! It just makes you come off as being bitter, miserable, self-loathers who have nothing better to do than chastise other people for being happy. Let me ask you a question: Have you ever been to a gay pride festival before? Not read about it, heard about it, seen pictures/videos about it, I mean have you physically been there in person and experienced it for yourself? I have, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Trust me, it's probably nothing like you'd thought it'd be because it wasn't for me. I pictured it to be all flamboyant and over the top, but it isn't. Sure there's those few die-hard extremists, but they don't represent the majority.

That's another thing. Just as you are chastising people for being stereotypes, you are no better than those ignorant morons who stereotype us because you're stereotyping people who go to pride yourself. Ignorance is not an excuse. Before you sit there and judge something, I suggest actually going out and experiencing it yourself. Now I'm by no means trying to force it on you, but I absolutely can not stand it when people sit there with their noses turned up, and judge other people for participating in something they enjoy. If anything is setting back the gay movement, it's people like you. How do you expect straight people to accept us if people within our own community are bashing us?

I'm just saying, if everyone just dressed normally in the parades,and it was arranged with the media to only film/photograph those in normal dress, more people would think of us as just that; normal.I have no problem with people being themselves, I just wish they'd use a little more discretion, it's kinda embarrassing. And no, I've never been to a pride parade, mostly because of where I live sweatdrop .

If we really want equality, we first have to change how we are portrayed in the media.We have to make it so the media doesn't put any stereotypes in its LGBT characters and portrays us as normal.We also have to do away with the biphobia in the gay community. Oh, and it's not that I care about what others think of me, I just don't want anybody to hate me crying .  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:45 pm
Shilberu Erikku
I'm just saying, if everyone just dressed normally in the parades,and it was arranged with the media to only film/photograph those in normal dress, more people would think of us as just that; normal.I have no problem with people being themselves, I just wish they'd use a little more discretion, it's kinda embarrassing. And no, I've never been to a pride parade, mostly because of where I live sweatdrop .

If we really want equality, we first have to change how we are portrayed in the media.We have to make it so the media doesn't put any stereotypes in its LGBT characters and portrays us as normal.We also have to do away with the biphobia in the gay community. Oh, and it's not that I care about what others think of me, I just don't want anybody to hate me crying .

But who's to say what's "normal"? It's just a fallacy that conservatives force down our throats in order to make themselves feel better. It's a fear of change. If you want to talk normal, then technically being gay isn't "normal". Many people use normality to describe something that is accepted by the popular vote, and since more people are straight than gay, being gay isn't normal. Also, news flash, those people who you say should use discretion aren't doing it for you. They're doing it as a way to express themselves, and far be it for anyone to tell them how they should express themselves. How does it embarrass you when it has nothing to do with you in the first place? No one's making you prance around in rainbow colored undies.

If you were "just saying", then I wouldn't care, instead you had a cynical approach about it, and just had to put others down. That's not ok, and that's why I said what I said. We aren't going to reach equality by acting like everyone else. We're going to get there by actually doing something about the way we're being treated. We're going to get there by fighting for it, by standing together, and by not fighting amongst ourselves. Like I said, the ones truly holding us back are the self-hating community members that enable the rest of society to treat us like second class citizens.  

Robbie-fyed

Beloved Lunatic

6,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200

Atrum_Anima

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:11 pm
Shilberu Erikku

I see where your coming from, but people should except tolerate others no matter how "embarrassing" they act. If everyone thought that all LGBT people were literally exactly the same as heterosexual people, there would be a bit of a riot when they were proven wrong by seeing a more effeminate gay guy walk down the street or a more masculine gay woman. If acceptance is to be had, shouldn't it be for who someone is rather than how they appear?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:48 pm
I think part of it is that life isn't fair. We all wish we could be accepted for who we are, but we can't. No amount of shouting, screaming and protesting will change that. People don't like what isn't seen as normal for them. There's really just the option of don't care what they think or changing for them. Realistically speaking, acting however you want will never really be accepted. Certain actions are against the law and others are just against society's standards. And those standards don't change just because someone says they should. It takes years and years for even some small insignificant thing to change and even then it doesn't really change much.  

TaoShaman

Mewling Vampire

7,650 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:50 pm
Atrum_Anima
Shilberu Erikku

I see where your coming from, but people should except tolerate others no matter how "embarrassing" they act. If everyone thought that all LGBT people were literally exactly the same as heterosexual people, there would be a bit of a riot when they were proven wrong by seeing a more effeminate gay guy walk down the street or a more masculine gay woman. If acceptance is to be had, shouldn't it be for who someone is rather than how they appear?

I doubt their reaction would be that strong, as there are straight tomboys and straight effeminate men. And I'm not saying we should completely strip individuality, I'm just saying we need to improve our image a bit. A gay man doesn't need a speedo to magikarp about the place. Perhaps if the parades were a bit more formal, then we would be taken more seriously. Also, isn't the purpose of the parades the message, and not the gallavanting?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:18 am
Nettles Hart

Hi. I love you.

TaoShaman
I think part of it is that life isn't fair. We all wish we could be accepted for who we are, but we can't. No amount of shouting, screaming and protesting will change that. People don't like what isn't seen as normal for them. There's really just the option of don't care what they think or changing for them. Realistically speaking, acting however you want will never really be accepted. Certain actions are against the law and others are just against society's standards. And those standards don't change just because someone says they should. It takes years and years for even some small insignificant thing to change and even then it doesn't really change much.

I think what you're saying is actually part of the problem. The fatc that people aren't engaged or don't feel things will change and thus don't do anything. If we sit here and let the queer community continue to be harassed, nothing will ever change, except for the worst. We need to stand up and express who we are as people.
For example, if the black community didn't fight and shout and scream and protest, they would still be slaves - and worse, they probably would have been sent to fight in wars and die. Hitler would have targeted them as well.
When we give up our realization of what we can accomplish, we give up our ability to truly live, we give up our humanity. We give up not only ourselves, but we give up everyone and everything.

Gordums

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:24 am
lgtenos
I guess I'm glad(?) that I live in the most conservative county in Southern California.

i live in a pretty conservative area but it seems to have a high gay population. nearly all the girls i went to school with say they are bisexual, which makes me not want to come out to any of them because even though im bi im also a little biphobic at times because of all the barsexuals that infest my area.

alot of the males at my old highschool were openly gay and even some of the teachers were aswell

i like to think i grew up with a good mix of head up your a** and opneness XD  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:13 am
Shanna66
lgtenos

i live in a pretty conservative area but it seems to have a high gay population. nearly all the girls i went to school with say they are bisexual, which makes me not want to come out to any of them because even though im bi im also a little biphobic at times because of all the barsexuals that infest my area.

alot of the males at my old highschool were openly gay and even some of the teachers were aswell

It's the opposite over here. The number of open LGBTs is rather low (except in one particular area of one beach-side city). Out of 32,000+ students at my university, probably only 100~ are [openly] LGBT.  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:23 am
lgtenos
Shanna66
lgtenos

It's the opposite over here. The number of open LGBTs is rather low (except in one particular area of one beach-side city). Out of 32,000+ students at my university, probably only 100~ are [openly] LGBT.

oh wow, hope you dont get too much homophobia over there sad  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:25 am
Gordums

TaoShaman

I think what you're saying is actually part of the problem. The fatc that people aren't engaged or don't feel things will change and thus don't do anything. If we sit here and let the queer community continue to be harassed, nothing will ever change, except for the worst. We need to stand up and express who we are as people.
For example, if the black community didn't fight and shout and scream and protest, they would still be slaves - and worse, they probably would have been sent to fight in wars and die. Hitler would have targeted them as well.
When we give up our realization of what we can accomplish, we give up our ability to truly live, we give up our humanity. We give up not only ourselves, but we give up everyone and everything.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't try to change things. And in the civil rights movement there were many people that chose to peacefully state their concerns and tried to change things without screaming at the top of their lungs without giving any reasoning or alternatives. What I'm saying is that it is unrealistic to just expect people to bow to your opinion just because you want them to. Sometimes to reason with people you have to follow their rules. And there's also the fact that you can't change everyone's opinon. There's still racism, there's still sexism. You can try to change the majority's opinion, but there will always be a minority that you cannot change. Like do the majority of people really protest against gay rights? No,most people really are at least indifferent. That small portion that is doing the protesting probably aren't going to change. The people to try to influence are the indifferent people, they don't really have an opinion and are probably more open to listening.  

TaoShaman

Mewling Vampire

7,650 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Robbie-fyed

Beloved Lunatic

6,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:10 am
Shilberu Erikku
I doubt their reaction would be that strong, as there are straight tomboys and straight effeminate men. And I'm not saying we should completely strip individuality, I'm just saying we need to improve our image a bit. A gay man doesn't need a speedo to magikarp about the place. Perhaps if the parades were a bit more formal, then we would be taken more seriously. Also, isn't the purpose of the parades the message, and not the gallavanting?

You are either not reading what I wrote or just don't understand it. You can not tell someone how to express themselves just because it makes you feel better. The point of pride, ONCE AGAIN, is not to prove ourselves to anyone. It is meant for people within our community to come out and be who they are. It's so that one day out of the year we can express ourselves the way we want, so that we can be true to ourselves just for one ******** day! God damn it, I can not understand why that is so hard to understand!  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff