Submit

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:03 am
reign is throwing ujp a c ouple times everyday now. do cats threow up if they're preggers?

also she has a few bald patches on her. i noticed she had some when i first got her and im noticing others now. i dont know if they were there before and i just didnt notice them or if they're new. she doesnt scratch often at all so i dont think its mites, but im not sure

just so you guys know i already have a vet appointment this week and will of course bring it up then. hopefully she wont try to get herself run over this time  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:16 am
Are we talking vomiting or regurgitation?  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:12 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Are we talking vomiting or regurgitation?

whats the difference?

sometimes its just liquid, sometimes there is food, and sometimes its just really juicy hairballs  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:32 am
How many feeding spots do you have for the 2 cats? How many boxes? Do you have any nice high places for them to rest on?  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:52 pm
Shearaha
How many feeding spots do you have for the 2 cats? How many boxes? Do you have any nice high places for them to rest on?

she eats in her room and is free feeding on dry with a can of wet everyday. he eats in the laundry room

2 boxes for now but plan on getting another sometime. one in her room and one in the laundry room.

a few high spots, the back of the couch and chair and we have a large window sill thing that they love to sit at

do the sitting areas really affect her vomiting?

also her room is open all day and night, just her stuff is in there  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:00 pm
Shanna66
Shearaha

she eats in her room and is free feeding on dry with a can of wet everyday. he eats in the laundry room

2 boxes for now but plan on getting another sometime. one in her room and one in the laundry room.

a few high spots, the back of the couch and chair and we have a large window sill thing that they love to sit at

Sometimes vomiting like you described is stress related. She just moved to a new place, has a new cat to get used to and all new rules. Providing separate eating/drinking and sanitary areas that can't be blocked or guarded, but still feel safe can ease this. Sometimes the lack of security of high places can contribute as well. Making sure that easy safe access to food/water and sanitary areas as well as multiple safe easy access high spots can ease this type of stress.

Sure you know this already, but for anyone who doesn't. Do make sure when you have your vet appointment to have them check for parasites as well since some can cause frequent vomiting as well.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:17 pm
Shearaha
Shanna66
Shearaha

Sometimes vomiting like you described is stress related. She just moved to a new place, has a new cat to get used to and all new rules. Providing separate eating/drinking and sanitary areas that can't be blocked or guarded, but still feel safe can ease this. Sometimes the lack of security of high places can contribute as well. Making sure that easy safe access to food/water and sanitary areas as well as multiple safe easy access high spots can ease this type of stress.

Sure you know this already, but for anyone who doesn't. Do make sure when you have your vet appointment to have them check for parasites as well since some can cause frequent vomiting as well.

ok

it just started this week though and she has been settling in very well, much better than i was expecting. she was stressed when we first got her since she didnt like being pet by people too much unless she thought she would get food out of it and hated our other cat. now she seeks out our attention and will sit next to fluffers. will still hit if he touches her or if he sneaks up on her but other than that they get along decently. she has been with us since late may and no vomiting at all before this week. one poop accident and that was all so i dont think its stress. i really hope its not a parasite since she is still pretty thin. will be getting her tested this week though just in case.

if we have to do alot of tests though we may not be able to afford getting her fixed for another month  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:24 am
Sometimes it can be low levels of stress over long periods of time *shrug*
OSU has been doing research on inappropriate elimination in cats. And what they've found is that it may be correlated to environmental stresses and they have "symptoms" like frequent vomiting, alopecia, and other behavioral issues.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:39 pm
Shearaha
Sometimes it can be low levels of stress over long periods of time *shrug*
OSU has been doing research on inappropriate elimination in cats. And what they've found is that it may be correlated to environmental stresses and they have "symptoms" like frequent vomiting, alopecia, and other behavioral issues.

im not sure what i could do to make her more comfortable  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:23 pm
From my recent reading on at behavior, and environmental enrichment, high places, above or at our head height, helps give them confidence and lower stress.
You already have seperate feeding areas, but interactive feeding toys can help too. I use this one for my cats. My vomiting incidence has decreased at least 90%. It still happens from time to time, but I haven't managed to set up any perches for my kitties yet.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:16 pm
It sounds like regurgitation. Cats can do this for many reasons, hairballs, eating too fast, irritable bowel etc. Is she eating faster than normal? Maybe now that there's "competition"?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:42 am
Shearaha
From my recent reading on at behavior, and environmental enrichment, high places, above or at our head height, helps give them confidence and lower stress.
You already have seperate feeding areas, but interactive feeding toys can help too. I use this one for my cats. My vomiting incidence has decreased at least 90%. It still happens from time to time, but I haven't managed to set up any perches for my kitties yet.

i have one of those food balls so i guess i could try it. now that she knows she will have food whenever she wants she doesnt eat nearly as fast as when we first got her

also no perches above our head level, her favorite perching spot isnt even the highest area she could be perching on. she is usually on the left side of the couch watching the tv or staring at the treat bag, not even on the back or arm of the couch. i do want to get a kitty tower sometime but i need a really stable one since our other cat loooves high places and is almost 20lbs. any suggestions?

going to the vet at noon today so ill update you guys after that  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:47 am
Shanna66
Shearaha

i have one of those food balls so i guess i could try it. now that she knows she will have food whenever she wants she doesnt eat nearly as fast as when we first got her

also no perches above our head level, her favorite perching spot isnt even the highest area she could be perching on. she is usually on the left side of the couch watching the tv or staring at the treat bag, not even on the back or arm of the couch. i do want to get a kitty tower sometime but i need a really stable one since our other cat loooves high places and is almost 20lbs. any suggestions?

Check &gclid=CN356YG4yakCFUlx5QodqyfEMA]this site for towers/trees/condos. They're not badly priced or you can just get ideas for building your own 3nodding

Hope she gets a clean bill of health. Oh, and if they say "that cats just throw up" find a new vet.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:55 am
Shearaha
Shanna66
Shearaha

Check &gclid=CN356YG4yakCFUlx5QodqyfEMA]this site for towers/trees/condos. They're not badly priced or you can just get ideas for building your own 3nodding

Hope she gets a clean bill of health. Oh, and if they say "that cats just throw up" find a new vet.

i just found this one. its hard finding a vet that isnt addicted to science diet gonk  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:00 am
Shanna66
i just found this one. its hard finding a vet that isnt addicted to science diet gonk

Don't I know it. Even harder to find one that encourages raw. My vet wants me to feed Royal Canin, but after one bout has given up on convincing me.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff