Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:00 am

So I was having a discussion with Fred about the animals ("So the only pet you like is Lazy?" "No, I'm really glad we got the chickens." "You don't like the the fish and the cat?" "No no, now that you have the new tank and we can actually see the fish, I like them again." "You hate my cat?" "YES!")

and he told me that he doesn't mind helping pay for things for Lazy because she's so long lived and we're gonna have her forever. So then we started discussing a new cage for her. We're either going to build a tortoise table, or buy an old book case and convert it xD

This is the plan so far:
User Image

The orange and blue thing is her water dish, the green thing is a cat litter box with vegetables and stuff, the other orange thing is rocks and broken tiles for her to climb. The green thing is Lazy, lol. It's not exactly to scale but I'd like it to be at least 5'x3'

The gray thing is a large critter keeper that I would turn on it's side and fill with dirt so she can dig in it, does anyone think that would work?

I also saw a misting system at PetCo, it couldn't be too expensive because all it really was was a big plastic jug and some tubing, so I'm going to look into that and it might be a nice addition to help keep the substrate from drying out. Plus she does enjoy being sprayed.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else I could add?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:06 am
I'm afraid I don't know enough about Tortoises to be of much help. Perhaps google home made cages? I would look on kijiji or at garage sales for old furniture to use. I am so tempted to take this gorgeous armoire that my friend's store is throwing away but that means getting my dad to transport it with his truck and convincing them to keep it in storage or maybe I could build a rat cage and sell it eek I could probably make a decent amount of money selling Grotto's... idea  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:10 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
I'm afraid I don't know enough about Tortoises to be of much help. Perhaps google home made cages? I would look on kijiji or at garage sales for old furniture to use. I am so tempted to take this gorgeous armoire that my friend's store is throwing away but that means getting my dad to transport it with his truck and convincing them to keep it in storage or maybe I could build a rat cage and sell it eek I could probably make a decent amount of money selling Grotto's... idea

You should do it, that would be a really cool project!

As far as this goes, the actual cage it's self is the easy part. It pretty much just needs to be something water proof with a bottom and four sides so she can't walk out of it, lol. I also have to make sure that the spot where I put her climbing stuff is high enough so she doesn't climb up and fall out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:24 am
Vanilla eXee
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

As far as this goes, the actual cage it's self is the easy part. It pretty much just needs to be something water proof with a bottom and four sides so she can't walk out of it, lol. I also have to make sure that the spot where I put her climbing stuff is high enough so she doesn't climb up and fall out.

Just realized my dresser would make a PERFECT rat cage. Two large doors that swing open, cut a very large whole in the middle for vieweing, staple some chicken wire on. Would have to plasticize the whole thing though to protect it from urine, then cut whole in the shelves and the divider in the middle so that can run around back and forth. I could even keep a section separate in case I ever foster or need to quarantine newbs. Then the two bottom drawers that I use for socks etc could stay as is and keep food and towels and misc in them. biggrin Course that'll wait till I move out since I'm currently USING that dresser lol.

It would be a fun project, but all tools belong to my dad, he would have to be advised of my lil plan lol. Maybe we'll stick to cat posts for now. We've already made one so I'll email my boss see if we can advertise at my store.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:32 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Vanilla eXee
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

Just realized my dresser would make a PERFECT rat cage. Two large doors that swing open, cut a very large whole in the middle for vieweing, staple some chicken wire on. Would have to plasticize the whole thing though to protect it from urine, then cut whole in the shelves and the divider in the middle so that can run around back and forth. I could even keep a section separate in case I ever foster or need to quarantine newbs. Then the two bottom drawers that I use for socks etc could stay as is and keep food and towels and misc in them. biggrin Course that'll wait till I move out since I'm currently USING that dresser lol.

It would be a fun project, but all tools belong to my dad, he would have to be advised of my lil plan lol. Maybe we'll stick to cat posts for now. We've already made one so I'll email my boss see if we can advertise at my store.

xD If I ever have rats again, you need to make that cage for me ok?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:38 am
Vanilla eXee
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Vanilla eXee
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

xD If I ever have rats again, you need to make that cage for me ok?

DEAL, all you'd need to cover is cost of materials and I'll bring it when I come to florida lol  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:39 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

DEAL, all you'd need to cover is cost of materials and I'll bring it when I come to florida lol

Sounds good to me!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:43 am
Hold up...your boyfriend doesn't like your cat?  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:05 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

Lol, yeah. He's liking her more and more, it's just that when we first moved she was still really skittish from living with the other 3 cats, there were really mean to her so she was used to always hiding and she's doesn't like fast movements or loud noises. She's calming down though and she's been warming up to him so it'll be ok. But that's why we might get a second cat, if we do we're going to adopt a lap cat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:02 pm
Vanilla eXee
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

Lol, yeah. He's liking her more and more, it's just that when we first moved she was still really skittish from living with the other 3 cats, there were really mean to her so she was used to always hiding and she's doesn't like fast movements or loud noises. She's calming down though and she's been warming up to him so it'll be ok. But that's why we might get a second cat, if we do we're going to adopt a lap cat.

aww, still it's not her fault. He shouldn't DISLIKE her for that. I mean my cat doesn't let my brother pick him up, pet him etc etc. But my brother still loves him. He's a member of the family.

As for new additions, maybe wait until the current cat is settled, having another cat may really stress her out all over. Rascal was picked on by theold neighborhood's cat when he was the youngest on the block. So now he just hates all cats. He picked on the new cats on the block and when we moved, once he was comfortable going outside in the new environment and was decided on what HIS territory was. He chased some poor cat off our lawn so fast it took me a minute to realize it was a cat. I don't think Rascal will EVER like cats, he's great with dogs lol, bring a strange dog into the house no problem. But cats, nope, hates em.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:15 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Vanilla eXee
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

aww, still it's not her fault. He shouldn't DISLIKE her for that. I mean my cat doesn't let my brother pick him up, pet him etc etc. But my brother still loves him. He's a member of the family.

As for new additions, maybe wait until the current cat is settled, having another cat may really stress her out all over. Rascal was picked on by theold neighborhood's cat when he was the youngest on the block. So now he just hates all cats. He picked on the new cats on the block and when we moved, once he was comfortable going outside in the new environment and was decided on what HIS territory was. He chased some poor cat off our lawn so fast it took me a minute to realize it was a cat. I don't think Rascal will EVER like cats, he's great with dogs lol, bring a strange dog into the house no problem. But cats, nope, hates em.

He likes her enough to have paid for her ticket here, whch was more expensive than ours, lol. He also paid for her more expensive food because I told him it was healthier for her, and up until I got my job he's paid for everything she needed. He just hates when she runs from him, he doesn't understand her like I do lol.

We're not getting another cat until after I take Sugar to the vet and get all of those tests I asked you about done, and after I get her a cat tree, a bed, more toys and switch her to from BB to wellness. Then we actually have to find a cat at a shelter that we both agree on, so yeah, it's gonna be a while, lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:43 pm
I don't think I understand the part about the critter keep & the dirt. What substrate do you use in the rest of the enclosure? I have a mix of sand & coco fiber in mine and Kilgore digs around in all of it.

Instead of a regular round water dish I use a big "squarish" water dish with a ramp on the side so its easy for him to get in and out. I've heard paint pans work really well too and are a heck of a lot cheaper.

The only additional "furniture" I would include is some sort of hide. I had to look in a few different pet shops before I found a half log large enough for Kilgore to go inside but he LOVES it. He uses it all the time. I plan on trying to plant a few edible plants for him to graze on but I don't know if it will work. I suspect he will just eat the whole thing before it can grow, lol.  

imderanged

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:55 am
imderanged
I don't think I understand the part about the critter keep & the dirt. What substrate do you use in the rest of the enclosure? I have a mix of sand & coco fiber in mine and Kilgore digs around in all of it.

Instead of a regular round water dish I use a big "squarish" water dish with a ramp on the side so its easy for him to get in and out. I've heard paint pans work really well too and are a heck of a lot cheaper.

The only additional "furniture" I would include is some sort of hide. I had to look in a few different pet shops before I found a half log large enough for Kilgore to go inside but he LOVES it. He uses it all the time. I plan on trying to plant a few edible plants for him to graze on but I don't know if it will work. I suspect he will just eat the whole thing before it can grow, lol.

I used to use a paint dish, still debating if I would get another or keep the roudn one. It's a plant saucer, she has no trouble getting in or out, but hit holds more actual water.

The critter keeper thing: I would be using the coco/sand mixture, it's just easier to say dirt =P Tortoises really love to dig and if I use a modified book case there's no way I'll be able to make it deep enough for her to satisfy her dig-lust, so the critter keeper is a way to make just one area deep enough for her to burrow into if she wants. If she uses it as intended, it would also serve as a more natural hide.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Maybe I'm thinking of this the wrong way, but aren't critter keepers not very big? Like, not big enough for a tort? I feel kinda stupid since I don't have one and I'm commenting cause I don't know anything about them.  

Azusanga

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:46 am
Azusanga
Maybe I'm thinking of this the wrong way, but aren't critter keepers not very big? Like, not big enough for a tort? I feel kinda stupid since I don't have one and I'm commenting cause I don't know anything about them.

Don't ever feel stupid. There are critter keeper sizes all the way up to at least 10g, don't know if they make any bigger than that though. Russian Tortoises are a smaller breed of tortoise, which is probably why you see them for sale more often than the other types. She could never live in one, that's for sure, but if I got one of the bigger sized ones it might make a nice spot to burrow in.

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff