Reply 13. ✿ - - - Animals And Nature
He put a Shock Collar on my Dog!! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

x-Rainbow_Alpacaz-x

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:12 pm
I am so mad at my father and brother and even my mother.

We have this stray cat that comes around and Dale (my dog) has never liked cats. He's a DOG for Christ's sake! He's not supposed to, is he?! They got a shock collar and put it on him to keep him from barking. FROM BARKING!! That means when a stranger comes to the door, at the cat, and at the mail man. Are those things not what a dog does? Everytime I take the collar off Dylan (my brother) will put it right back on.

But today, oh today, they just did something that went too far. They put the collar on him and Dylan went outside. After fifteen minutes he came back and knocked on the door. Of course, Dale couldn't see him, so he started barking. I was playing the Wii -severely pissed at what was going on but enable to stop it- when I heard Dale whine in pain. And. They. Were. Laughing. LAUGHING!! At my dog's pain? Yes. That's where I drew the line. I stormed over and took the collar off and brought Dale back to my room.

Dylan called me a pansy. So was what I did BAD? Is it wrong to actually care about my dog's wellfare? I didn't think so. Am I the only one who finds shock collars unnessecary and inhumane?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:46 pm
its alright i wouldve done the same thing >T animals shouldnt be treated badly  

chu-and-meh

5,150 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Generous 100

TH3_G1ITCH_

Enduring Receiver

13,300 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:58 pm
I'd find it sickening if my family laughed at an animal's pain too!

I'd of done the same thing as you did too.

It's good your dog has someone who really cares for them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:04 pm
Shock collar for keeping the dog in the yard and preveting it being hit by a car on the road = yes good use of shock collar. Boundry collars are the best way to keep a dog inside a yard if you live in the city - the negativve reenforcement is at a level where the dog won't dissobey and walk out on a busy street.

Shock collar for barking = BAD!!! Dog's bark to protect their teritory and voice their needs.....your famiies taking this a bit too far. There are other ways to stop the dog from barking. Buckets of water or spray bottles for one.

Laughing at an animals pain is wrong. Cruel even.What you did was spot on!  

Stormgem

Tipsy Streaker

10,250 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Empty Spiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:16 pm
[~+~]

See, i do agree that your family laughing at your own dog's pain is totally wrong, and the reasons behind their use of the shock collar is wrong; that's not the sort of thing it is meant to be used for.

However, in regard to the use of shock collars, from experience, i do think, in the right situations with the right use, they are appropriate.
Y'see, we used to have a dog who had been nicked from the shelter by gypos (not the PC term for them, but i don't give a damn after the way they treated him), and he was abused, and goodness knows what else.
By the time we got him, he was over two years old. It is very difficult to discipline a dog of this age, and particularly when we took him out for walks (bearing in mind we live in the countryside, loads of open fields that go onto roads), we would have a lot of trouble getting him to come back, despite trying the general methods, i.e. treats etc. It resulted in us getting one of the "control collars".
Both of my parents tried the collar's shock on themselves, and said it was nothing that would actually harm him (i'm assuming these vary according to the collar though), so we tried it.
It has a beeper on it, so we went with the principle of doing three beeps (so after each beep would proceed a warning, such as "-beep- Robin come back) and if he wouldn't come back after three, he would get a jolt.
Unfortunately, he did have to get a jolt, and yes, he did squeak, but he came back instantly.
After this, in the entire following...8, 9 years of his life? He was obedient the majority of the time (there were a few times earlier in his life where he did have it happen again, but this was generally when they were chasing a rabbit ;>_>), and we had no problems. He even got to a stage where when we stopped putting it on him, although the first time we did this he didn't want to go for a walk; almost as if he saw it as some sort of safety net for a strange reason.

The way i looked at it, is a small jolt of pain for a split second ultimately, most likely, saved his life. At some point, he would have ended up on that road, and with the speed some cars go?
I know it is cruel, but i think it all depends on how and why you use them.
And as i said previously, i think you are totally entitled to be upset over this.
D:
Sorry for the ramble.

Is there any way you can talk to them about it?

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:44 pm
Empty Spiral
[~+~]

See, i do agree that your family laughing at your own dog's pain is totally wrong, and the reasons behind their use of the shock collar is wrong; that's not the sort of thing it is meant to be used for.

However, in regard to the use of shock collars, from experience, i do think, in the right situations with the right use, they are appropriate.
Y'see, we used to have a dog who had been nicked from the shelter by gypos (not the PC term for them, but i don't give a damn after the way they treated him), and he was abused, and goodness knows what else.
By the time we got him, he was over two years old. It is very difficult to discipline a dog of this age, and particularly when we took him out for walks (bearing in mind we live in the countryside, loads of open fields that go onto roads), we would have a lot of trouble getting him to come back, despite trying the general methods, i.e. treats etc. It resulted in us getting one of the "control collars".
Both of my parents tried the collar's shock on themselves, and said it was nothing that would actually harm him (i'm assuming these vary according to the collar though), so we tried it.
It has a beeper on it, so we went with the principle of doing three beeps (so after each beep would proceed a warning, such as "-beep- Robin come back) and if he wouldn't come back after three, he would get a jolt.
Unfortunately, he did have to get a jolt, and yes, he did squeak, but he came back instantly.
After this, in the entire following...8, 9 years of his life? He was obedient the majority of the time (there were a few times earlier in his life where he did have it happen again, but this was generally when they were chasing a rabbit ;>_>), and we had no problems. He even got to a stage where when we stopped putting it on him, although the first time we did this he didn't want to go for a walk; almost as if he saw it as some sort of safety net for a strange reason.

The way i looked at it, is a small jolt of pain for a split second ultimately, most likely, saved his life. At some point, he would have ended up on that road, and with the speed some cars go?
I know it is cruel, but i think it all depends on how and why you use them.
And as i said previously, i think you are totally entitled to be upset over this.
D:
Sorry for the ramble.

Is there any way you can talk to them about it?

User Image

No, actually. There is is no way. Mom actually already apologized. However, Dylan and Dad just got a lot of amusement from it. I really am the only one who SHOWS how much I care for Dale. I feed him and do all the other stuff (even bath him after he falls in the nasty pond). All they do is yell at and hurt him D: And I do see what you mean by the uses of the collar. But we used to have a beagle and we tried that fence that you put under ground and gave them a collar and if they passed it, they got shocked... Dad was too lazy to bury the wire and Dixie (the beagle) was desperate to be a free ranged dog like Dale... she just clothelined it and it didn't hurt her at all o 3o. I miss her. We had to sell her.

Anyways.. Even if I did talk to them, they'd just do it again. I'm the only one who treats my dog right. >|  

x-Rainbow_Alpacaz-x

D1RTY C3X C3LL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:37 pm
Ask those sick idiots how they'd like it if they had shock collars and got their asses shocked each and every time they opened their damn mouths.

Good for you. A dog isn't just a pet, he's a family member and needs to be treated as such. And for that pansy comment, tell your brother he's a pantywaist that needs to grow a pair and pick on someone his own size.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:19 pm
I think you did the right thing! It's so sickening to see anyone laugh at pain, i'm a bit extreme so i probably would have held my brother down and put the shock collar on him to teach a lesson but still you did the right thing!  

Mistress Zelda Uzikua

Vampire

5,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Full closet 200

x-Rainbow_Alpacaz-x

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:57 pm
Mistress Zelda Uzikua
I think you did the right thing! It's so sickening to see anyone laugh at pain, i'm a bit extreme so i probably would have held my brother down and put the shock collar on him to teach a lesson but still you did the right thing!

I had this momentary sadistic thought after it happened, actually.. I imagined my self tackling my brother and putting the collar on him and shouting 'Bark, dammit! Feel Dale's pain!!'
Cause I don't think it would react to a human's talkin' =.=  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:35 pm
Stormgem
Shock collar for keeping the dog in the yard and preveting it being hit by a car on the road = yes good use of shock collar. Boundry collars are the best way to keep a dog inside a yard if you live in the city - the negativve reenforcement is at a level where the dog won't dissobey and walk out on a busy street.

Shock collar for barking = BAD!!! Dog's bark to protect their teritory and voice their needs.....your famiies taking this a bit too far. There are other ways to stop the dog from barking. Buckets of water or spray bottles for one.

Laughing at an animals pain is wrong. Cruel even.What you did was spot on!

You can teach a dog to respect a boundary without pain.

And honestly, dogs should not ever be left unsupervised contained only by a shock collar; there's way too many things that could happen.

OP, have you thought about trying to train your dog not to bark so much? There's ways to do so without using pain or fear.  

Latrans

Devoted Inquisitor

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:33 am
That makes me upset to hear such a thing D=< I never approved of electrical shock for animals - even if these companies say that it's "safe" and "in minimal amounts".

Usually a dogs nature is to chase other animals. Most dogs dislike cats unless they are raised around them and everything. Dogs will be dogs - they are each unique and their own personalities. Wanting to chase a cat isn't a desirable behavior if you don't have any cats around your home. Most of the time - cats are fast enough to climb a tree or something anyway.

You did the right thing. I would say to find ways from keeping them from doing that again because they sound like a sick group of people to be laughing at a dog's pain. It concerns me what else they are capable of if they think that is actually funny. I would say if you are old enough to try and move out and find a place where your dog will be safe with you and not have to experience that again. If you aren't old enough - to decide what is truly best for your dog's well being in this case. If things get bad - part with him if need be or ask a good friend to take him in and go over to see him often.

I just noticed one thing o.o this topic was 2011. I hope you and your dog are doing well at this point in time.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:29 pm
I would never allow anyone to put a shock collar on my dog. I disagree with them. If someone did that too my dog, I'd flip sh!t on them.Then when they are asleep, I would put the thing on them and set it off. And Laugh. scream I have a dog in the city and he is fine in the yard. He sits at the door waiting to come inside the house. I also believe that you can control a dog barking simply by training them. I've got our white Maltese to stop barking on command. (my mom couldn't get him to do it.)

Tranquil Fears

Shadowy Hunter

4,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Tipsy 100

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:03 pm
Shock collars are the lazy man's way of pesty pet control. They are as effective as in teaching discipline as beating your kid into a pulp.

You should take off the collar when they are not looking the next time the dog is out and suggested it must have slipped off. Keep doing that for any other collars they buy afterward.

My sister's mother-in-law was watching my sister's dog while she was in Iraq because she wanted to teach the dog not to bark and when my sister got back and picked up her dog, the dog had two bloody sores that took weeks to close and months for the scars to fade.

If you want your dog to stop barking, dedicate time to train them. My preferred method is to take a spray bottle of water, stand near them, and have someone knock while you say "No!" and spritz them. The water is harmless and most dogs learn fast. From then on, when they bark all you have to do is say "No!" you can even reward them with treats if they stop instantly.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:20 am
Though punishment is the quick and "easy" method to train animals, positive reinforcement is always the best and most effective method to train. For the most part, shock collars are usually ineffective because people like to start the dog off on the lowest setting. As the behavior continues, they slowly escalate the punishment. All that does is get the dog habituated to the higher intensities of pain.  

Naturalist

Rainbow Goddess

31,215 Points
  • Let There Be Color 500
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Market Browser 100

Annikou

Blessed Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:32 pm
I would put the collar on them. Or punch them. That poor puppy.  
13. ✿ - - - Animals And Nature

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff