Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:13 pm
I set up a new fish tank a couple months back with just some simple glofish and a plecostomus. I decided to add a bala shark for a little variety. My original research showed that they were easy to keep (though semi-aggressive) and were related to cat fish. After getting one I noticed it wasn't eating or very active and my plants kept mysteriously floating to the surface of the tank. After a little more research, I discovered that the bala shark is actually related to danios and is a school fish. If you only have one then it becomes agitated, doesn't eat, and will uproot your plants. So I got a second one. After adjusting the second bala shark to the tank, I found an article that said how big the balas grow and how long they live. (I will be upgrading to a larger tank. Soon.)

Well, just this week, I noticed this red spot on my smaller bala. Just now, I noticed that it was larger than this morning.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Is it possible that it's just a natural color they turn, or is it more likely an injury from the other bala? I can set up another tank to separate the two of them, but I'm not sure how to go about helping heal an injury on a fish.

Help please?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:02 am

Hard to tell if it's an injury or not, doesn't look like it. I know it's difficult but do you think you could get a more clear picture? Also, schooling fish need to be kept in minimum groups of 5, with two there will be a dominant shark and he will pick on the other one relentlessly. What type of pleco do you have? Many plecos can grow to 2', so you're gonna have to factor all of that into getting your new tank. Usually the best option is to return the monster fish and practice with something smaller first if yo can't afford to get them a bigger home.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:56 am
Yeah, sorry. Cell phone cameras have really bad pictures, I'll try to find my good camera.

I hadn't thought about not having a large enough school. I remember when I was doing my research I saw that for breeding you should have a school of about 8. I guess I hadn't thought about needing more than 2 for a school.

I'm not sure what type of pleco I have. It's already a good 6 inches or so. They didn't say at the pet store. It was solid black when it was smaller. Now it has spots. I think it's just a common pleco.

This isn't my first tank. I've had a goldfish tank, a beta tank, and a shrimp tank. This one I started for my sister and have ended up taking over. I'm thinking about when I upgrade getting a minimum of 55 gals. I've only got a 25 gal now.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:16 am
Gwen_Katara
Yeah, sorry. Cell phone cameras have really bad pictures, I'll try to find my good camera.

I hadn't thought about not having a large enough school. I remember when I was doing my research I saw that for breeding you should have a school of about 8. I guess I hadn't thought about needing more than 2 for a school.

I'm not sure what type of pleco I have. It's already a good 6 inches or so. They didn't say at the pet store. It was solid black when it was smaller. Now it has spots. I think it's just a common pleco.

This isn't my first tank. I've had a goldfish tank, a beta tank, and a shrimp tank. This one I started for my sister and have ended up taking over. I'm thinking about when I upgrade getting a minimum of 55 gals. I've only got a 25 gal now.

55g is gonna be too small. You're looking at 120 minimum for a decent school of bala sharks and a common pleco.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:25 am
I agree with Nilla. Bala's get huge.

I would rehome/sell the Balas and get a school of Hillstream Loachs. They are smaller and more suited for a goldfish tank. Bala's are Tropica fishl, and Goldfish are Temerate fish.

Also, how often, and how much, are you doing water changes? With 4 high bioload fish in that small of a tank, you should be doing atleast 75% twice a week. The red mark could be ammonia burn.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:04 pm
Akari_32

I would rehome/sell the Balas and get a school of Hillstream Loachs. They are smaller and more suited for a goldfish tank. Bala's are Tropica fishl, and Goldfish are Temerate fish.

Also, how often, and how much, are you doing water changes? With 4 high bioload fish in that small of a tank, you should be doing atleast 75% twice a week. The red mark could be ammonia burn.

Lol, glofish akari, not goldfish.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:06 pm
Vanilla eXee
Akari_32

I havent slept in like 2 weeks, so just-- ssssshhhhhhh! sweatdrop

On that note! I would still do larger water changes to make up for the Pleco and Bala's. 30% every couple days lol

Also, Glofish (well, any schooling fish, actually) should be kept in groups of 5 or more. If they arent, they tend to get crazy, and go after the other fin in the tank, or eachother, and can (and some times will) bully their targets untill they die. Just throwing that out there lol  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:27 pm
I have 6 glofish, so I'm not worried about them. I know how big the balas get. I'm going to move them to their own tank.

I was talking to my sister and she said she saw the pleco attack the smaller bala. I'm going to move the two balas to a temporary tank until I can get a proper sized one for them.  

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Gwen_Katara
I have 6 glofish, so I'm not worried about them. I know how big the balas get. I'm going to move them to their own tank.

I was talking to my sister and she said she saw the pleco attack the smaller bala. I'm going to move the two balas to a temporary tank until I can get a proper sized one for them.

It could have been the Pleco then. When Common Plecos get big, they can get agressive (lots of people like to keep them with Cichlids because they can hold their own).  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:59 pm
We were looking at tanks and found a 150 gal we like, so we're going to pick that up.

I'm starting to think it might not be aggression because I noticed the same red spot is starting to form on my larger bala and my smaller one looks like it's missing some scales on its side.

Is there a way I could test for parasites?  

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:42 pm
Gwen_Katara
We were looking at tanks and found a 150 gal we like, so we're going to pick that up.

I'm starting to think it might not be aggression because I noticed the same red spot is starting to form on my larger bala and my smaller one looks like it's missing some scales on its side.

White, stringy poop is a good sign of internal parasites. For external parasites, you can see them; in the gills, on the body, in and around the eyes.

See if this helps any...
http://www.gbasonline.org/disease_chart.htm  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:32 pm
Vanilla eXee
Akari_32

Don't worry, I read Goldfish, too. I was thinking oh no, not goldfish with those others! hee hee!  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:04 pm
Kipluck
Vanilla eXee
Akari_32

Don't worry, I read Goldfish, too. I was thinking oh no, not goldfish with those others! hee hee!

Hurray for reading skillz! blaugh  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:07 pm
Akari_32

To answer your question about water changes, I'm doing a 25% change once a week.  

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:13 pm
Akari_32
Gwen_Katara

White, stringy poop is a good sign of internal parasites. For external parasites, you can see them; in the gills, on the body, in and around the eyes.

See if this helps any...
http://www.gbasonline.org/disease_chart.htm

According to this, my small bala probably has sore eyes and swim bladder disease. And both balas probably have hemorrhagic septicemia.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff