Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Politics and Debates
Compromise on the Pledge of Allegiance Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Prince Ikari

Conservative Victory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:55 am
I wanted to see what people think of this article. I honestly don't know what to say. I mean really? Compromising on the Pledge of Allegiance? There shouldn't be a compromise. Any government facility whether local, state, or federal should always open with the Pledge of Allegiance. It's appalling to listen to what some of the councilmen said, such as the one that said that "the Pledge of Allegiance had no place at City Hall". What is the world coming to? This is political correctness run amok.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:07 am
"I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America. And to the Republic, for which it stands, One nation, under God, indivisible, with Liberty, and Justice, for all."

You don't like the words "Under God," then don't ******** say "Under God." Jackasses. You know what other pledge/oath I believe in?

"I, Nicholas Hurst, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Another statement that has "God" in it. Don't like it? Same thing: Don't ******** say "So help me God."  

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:44 pm
Maybe we should just not have at all (you only really say it in grade school anyways sweatdrop )  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:41 pm
Lord Redtail Rathan
"I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America. And to the Republic, for which it stands, One nation, under God, indivisible, with Liberty, and Justice, for all."

You don't like the words "Under God," then don't ******** say "Under God." Jackasses. You know what other pledge/oath I believe in?

"I, Nicholas Hurst, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Another statement that has "God" in it. Don't like it? Same thing: Don't ******** say "So help me God."

I agree with you. If you don't like "under God" then don't say that part. It's wrong to get rid of the whole thing though. It's un-American to do so. And I take it you're in the military, so I thank you for your service. I currently have a relative who is deployed in Afghanistan, and I had another who was deployed to Iraq twice I believe.  

Prince Ikari

Conservative Victory

Prince Ikari

Conservative Victory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:43 pm
Shilberu Erikku
Maybe we should just not have at all (you only really say it in grade school anyways sweatdrop )

It would be un-American to not have it at all. It's true that we mostly just say it in grade school, but it's still an American tradition. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:03 pm
I say chill, you do not even have to say the stupid thing. its been years since I last said it  

cajunantichrist

Mazzie Bell

7,500 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:38 pm
The US is a nation founded on religious freedom. I think that to make or even encourage people to say that the US is a nation "under god", regardless of their beliefs is unamerican.
I strongly believe that "under god" should just be removed from the pledge altogether. As the article states, it wasn't even a part of the original pledge, it was added in 1954.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:00 pm
Shilberu Erikku

Not true. My high school, both of them I went too, said it, as well as the Texas pledge, and moment of silence.  

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:38 pm
Lord Redtail Rathan
Shilberu Erikku

Not true. My high school, both of them I went too, said it, as well as the Texas pledge, and moment of silence.

Well, it's Texas, what do you expect? I've only seen it cited in grade school, but then again, I'm from California so..........yeah sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:42 pm
They seem like a bunch of loonies. Just leave out the offending part if it's so bad - how hard is that?  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

Prince Ikari

Conservative Victory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:09 pm
Le Scratch
They seem like a bunch of loonies. Just leave out the offending part if it's so bad - how hard is that?

Well it is a town in Oregon after all, so what do you expect? I agree with you. If you don't like the "under God" part then don't say it, but trying to get rid of the whole thing is just ridiculous.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:05 am
Shilberu Erikku
Lord Redtail Rathan
Shilberu Erikku

I'm from California

That explains it all. XD  

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

Harms Melody

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:04 pm
Prince Ikari
Shilberu Erikku

It would be un-American to not have it at all. It's true that we mostly just say it in grade school, but it's still an American tradition. 3nodding

why is "un-american" always used in a negative connotation? that is true censorship. Labeling the opinions of others "un-american" and then tossing them aside because it doesn't fit with the patriotic narrative....  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:23 pm
Harms Melody
Prince Ikari
Shilberu Erikku

why is "un-american" always used in a negative connotation? that is true censorship. Labeling the opinions of others "un-american" and then tossing them aside because it doesn't fit with the patriotic narrative....

It's used in an negative connotation because if you live in America, you're American. People are suppose to have pride in ones country. It's not censorship. The Pledge of Allegiance is an American tradition and wanting to get rid of something that has been part of the American tradition for a long time is indeed un-American. You obviously aren't American I assume, or either you're one of those crazy world citizen loons.  

Prince Ikari

Conservative Victory

Dusty-Boy

Dangerous Autobiographer

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:07 am
The words "Under god" should be taken out, they were put in in one of America's least constitutional times, the Cold war, in which we put the term "Under god" in as a way to stick it to them damned atheist commies.  
Politics and Debates

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff