Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:03 pm
[♫=♥]

edit

look at this thread I posted.
It's not completely finished, but meh. I got a little tired and impatient.

-----------------------
It's not even for college, but I'm really interested in writing about it. So I made a test thread and used it to do my research. I had to write down all of the arguments people used against animal testing. This will help me predict what people will say, create an effective debate paper and become more knowledgeable about animal testing. I got over 11 resources to support my statement, most from government sites and organizations from medical/vet fields.

Here are the following:
"It's cruel, because the animals are being tortured!"

"Why don't we try it on humans only? How about prisoners!?"

"We have advanced technology! Why not use computers instead of living things?"

"Animals are biology different than humans, these tests will never work!"

"Cosmetic testing is useless!"

"Most cosmetics do not use animal testing, so animal testing isn't necessary!"

"They have found medicines on human beings without the use of animal testing, so animals shouldn't be used!"

"Medicines are useless anyways, there are natural medicines like herbs and stuff so I don't support animal testing!"

I'm already finished writing for the first two statements. It would be helpful if you can provide more. The more challenging the better! It would also be less time consuming if you provide an argument against that statement using just a reliable resource. I also need help finding a resource about technology, its flaws and strengths and how we can't rely on technology to study on animals.

I'll probably be writing a book on it. gonk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:55 pm
I've worked in animal research and have a certificate in biotechnology. (I hate monsanto.) This is actually something I'm interested in as well. I wouldn't mind giving you a different view point. I'm also interested in veterinary medicine and plan on becoming a fish and game warden.

1) There are laws against torturing animals. Some people get away with it, but only because they haven't been caught or they have ties in the government.

2) There are laws against using prisoners for human trials. The government is too afraid to send something out for clinical trials if they don't have some sort of idea on how it will affect people.

3) We may have technology, but a computer is only as smart as its programmer. In order for the computer to know the output, someone has to input know data. So, if you're looking for a particular pattern based on a known chemical combination, you're fine. But if you're dealing with an untested chemical combination, or even an unknown chemical compound, there would be know way the computer would know the outcome.

4) The actual biology of animals is similar to humans, even though the physical anatomy is different. It's the same way you can give an animal a smaller dosage of human medications.

5) I agree. No animal should have to suffer cosmetic testing. I actually refuse to wear makeup.

6) Cosmetics started with animal testing, but because cosmetics have come so far, there is no longer any need to test them on animals.

7) Again, most animal testing is government fear. Originally, all medicines were found without the use of animals.

cool Original medicines were the natural medicines we use now. The government doesn't support these because they aren't a chemical you can patent because they appear in nature. Most minor infections can be cure without having to resort to a doctor's prescription. But in the end, medicine is still medicine, whether prescription or organic.  

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:00 pm
Rofl, love the last one ("Medicines are useless, we got herbs and stuff!").

About the technology statement, I don't have any sources, but I can say this: Technology can't accurately simulate an /entire/ organism. For the sole reason that we don't even know everything about how entire organisms work. There's a lot about physiology (even at the microscopic level) of things that we just don't understand or have any clue about. Let alone, of course, for human physiology, which is even more complex. We find out so much new information, medical textbooks are outdated after five years (or somewhere around that).

For the first statement, "it's cruel because animals are being tortured!", I would also add a reference to the UFAW Care and Management of Laboratory Animals if you haven't already done so. This is the book that sets the husbandry standards for most, if not all, animal testing. It would be great to add to your argument that zoos and aquaria also use this SAME book as a guideline for their own husbandry. If zoos and aquariums are doing it, it can't be that bad (unless the person thinks zoos and aquariums are inhumane, in which case there are issues beyond this).

I'll try to think of other stuff to add. This is a great idea!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:14 pm
Gwen_Katara
[♫=♥]

Thanks!
Instead of government, I would have to say people fear since the government seem to represent people. The majority of the people fear of trying out new medicines without seeing how it affects another person or a living being.

About cosmetic:
Are they still using cosmetic testing on animals in fear of lawsuits from people? Are they really telling the truth behind the bottles of shampoo saying they are not tested on animals? How would I know? Who is responsible of whatever is written behind the shampoo bottles? I also wonder what defines cosmetic. Is there animal testing that is both cosmetic and medical? Are there any benefits to cosmetic?

Jiti

Tiny Animal

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:26 pm
Moth Feathers

The last one was from a thread that supported animal testing. There was not a lot of information to support it, but the people posting against it, actually helped me get enough information to support it. Knowing the enemy before defeating it. cool

Here is what I have so far.
Quote:
"It's cruel, because the animals are being tortured!"

Not anymore!

Back then around the 70's or 80's, animals were treated inhumanely. The majority of the horrible animal pictures in labs you see on the internet are often out of date since The United States Animal Welfare Act (AWA) changed its rules in 1985. AWA tells that most animals requires that "minimum standards of care and treatment be provided for certain animals bred for commercial sale, used in research, transported commercially, or exhibited to the public." [1] Furthermore, "Proper housing and management of animal facilities are essential to animal well-being, to the quality of research data and teaching or testing programs in which animals are used, and to the health and safety of personnel." [2] and animals need vet care as it also states that "Veterinary medical care is an essential part of an animal care and use program." [3]. Even the U.S Food and Drug Administration (FDA) states that, "In animal testing, drug companies make every effort to use as few animals as possible and to ensure their humane and proper care."[4]

"Why don't we try it on humans only? How about prisoners!?"

Trying it on humans will be expensive and risky, that's why animals are tested first. Animals like mice are, "small and inexpensive to maintain. Their short life span and rapid reproductive rate make it possible to study disease processes in many individuals throughout their life cycle." [5]. Especially they are, "predisposed to getting a certain disease or genetic defect; they are genetically identical due to inbreeding." [6]

Reasons why there are less volunteers are that "there may be unpleasant, serious or even life-threatening side effects to experimental treatment, the experimental treatment may not be effective for the participant, the protocol may require more of their time and attention than would a non-protocol treatment, including trips to the study site, more treatments, hospital stays or complex dosage requirements." [7] so not a lot of people want to go through that!

Forcing it on prisoners would be violating human rights and I'm sure they will not risk it by just volunteering.

Here's where I got the whole herbal thing from:
Quote:
I do not accept it as I see many medicines as pointless and unnecissary.
I am an herbal healer, I use many herbs instead of medicines and do just fine, infact excessive use of medicines weaken the bodies natural immune system. My boyfriend had intense back surgery, and he needed painkillers for the first two weeks afterwards instead of the first three months afterwards because I used herb such as aloe, rosemary, and garlic to help him and used chiropractic technic's to help his back.
So I do not support animal testing because I do not like medicine unless absolutely necessary, which most of it is not.

I should write more on the first paragraph about animal care and provide more support on the second paragraph. I'll probably will have to explain the biology of human and animals and moar resources to back that one up.

The only thing I find tough so far is technology and how to provide proof that it's not that advanced, because people think we have flying cars already.

edit; Thanks by the way!
edit;edit; I'll definitely consider adding the whole zoo and aquarium thing.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:40 pm
Jiti
The majority of the people fear of trying out new medicines without seeing how it affects another person or a living being.

That's what clinical trials are for. The people who are participating in it are essentially being used as voluntary guinea pigs. Until a medication is actually tested on humans, you're not going to have accurate information on the medication's effectiveness, potential adverse effects and safe dosing levels.

I think it would be very naive to believe that animal testing alone will give all the data that is needed to determine if a potential new medication is safe for humans at the desired dose levels or not. An animal isn't going to be able to properly communicate that it is suddenly experiencing suicidal thoughts that it didn't have a week ago, and some medications do have this on their list of potential adverse effects.  

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Hitaro_Mitsuka

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:01 pm
Jiti
Gwen_Katara
[♫=♥]

Thanks!
Instead of government, I would have to say people fear since the government seem to represent people. The majority of the people fear of trying out new medicines without seeing how it affects another person or a living being.

About cosmetic:
Are they still using cosmetic testing on animals in fear of lawsuits from people? Are they really telling the truth behind the bottles of shampoo saying they are not tested on animals? How would I know? Who is responsible of whatever is written behind the shampoo bottles? I also wonder what defines cosmetic. Is there animal testing that is both cosmetic and medical? Are there any benefits to cosmetic?

One of the human rights conventions actually states that we can't do human trials without animal trials first.

As for cosmetics:
There are still companies that use animal testing for cosmetics. It's mainly the big name brands who have been doing it for years. There's an information act of some sort that states companies cannot advertise falsely on their product. So companies that say they don't use animal testing are generally telling the truth.
Cosmetic testing and medical testing are two different things. Medical testing can be regulated where most of cosmetic testing isn't.
Cosmetics can be defined as any product that is applied to the body to improve its appearance. So, perfume, make up, lotions, and shampoo would be the big ones that almost everyone uses.
Originally, makeup was used for ceremonies or war. Then you started seeing the rich wear it to protect their skin from the sun. Makeup didn't become popular in the US until the invention of the TV.
The French used perfume to mask the smell of body odor.

Looking into the pros and cons of makeup, I found an article stating that the heavy Egyptian eye makeup actually had low levels of lead that helped prevent eye disease. But reading into natural mineral makeup, most makeup actually damages your skin because it keeps oxygen and sunlight from reaching the skin. (Same reason you don't put nail polish on a turtle's back. It'll suffocate from lack of oxygen.) Plus, there are a lot of people who are allergic to the chemicals in makeup.

Off topic: Personally, I stick with only using toothpaste, shampoo, and deodorant. The bare minimum. If you think of how cosmetics are made, that's almost more cruel than testing them. Lipstick is made with fish scales; perfume is made with bat guano. Why would any woman want to put that on her skin?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:55 am
Sachie Whitby
Jiti
The majority of the people fear of trying out new medicines without seeing how it affects another person or a living being.

That's what clinical trials are for. The people who are participating in it are essentially being used as voluntary guinea pigs. Until a medication is actually tested on humans, you're not going to have accurate information on the medication's effectiveness, potential adverse effects and safe dosing levels.

I think it would be very naive to believe that animal testing alone will give all the data that is needed to determine if a potential new medication is safe for humans at the desired dose levels or not. An animal isn't going to be able to properly communicate that it is suddenly experiencing suicidal thoughts that it didn't have a week ago, and some medications do have this on their list of potential adverse effects.

I know about clinical trials, I actually found a website about clinical trials.

Animal testing will not provide all the data that is needed to determine if the medicine is effective or safe. It will help provide only some, but it gives an idea of what would might happen, and it will not be considered safe and effective until they provide those test results on animals then human beings.  

Jiti

Tiny Animal

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:15 pm
Gwen_Katara
[♫=♥]

Oh! o:
I don't mind putting make up like lip stick and perfume. I eat animals, so I don't mind wearing them. lol
I'll have to find resources on cosmetics. The essay will be mostly focused on medical testing. I'll leave cosmetics to the side for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:38 am
Jiti

Here's something you might want to think about in regards to animal testing for cosmetic purposes...

I got a second degree chemical burn [where the skin turns red and blisters] which covered my scalp, face, hands, shoulders and part of my back from a shampoo that was tested on animals thus was obviously safe to use, right? However this same proven safe through animal testing shampoo also contained methylisothiazolinone, which is known a neurotoxin as proven through in virto studies involving laboratory rats. The chemical is suspected of being both an allergenic and cytotoxic in humans, but it continues to find its way into shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, facial cleanser, and bubble bath that continue to be tested on animals.

Stuff like that does make me think twice about using any cosmetic product that is being tested on animals. If they're knowing putting stuff into my bubble bath or moisturizer that harms cells thus makes them feel that they need to be testing it out on some mice first, I probably don't want to be using it either.  

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:46 am
Sachie Whitby
Oh. I even found this website that actually lists products with Methylisothiazolinone.
I also found an information on that chemical:
"Human Toxicity Excerpts :
/CASE REPORTS/ ... The purpose of this report was to collect clinical cases in which a single exposure had resulted in contact dermatitis suspected to be allergic. Only patients without previous relevant skin symptoms were included. ... 6 patients developed occupational allergic contact dermatitis from accidental exposure. Patch testing revealed allergy to diglycidylether of bisphenol A epoxy resin, polyfunctional aziridine hardener, methyl acrylate, phenol-formaldehyde resin, and methylchloroisothiazolinone/methylisothiazolinone (Kathon LX), respectively..."
[1]
What was the name of the product you used?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:43 am
Jiti
Sachie Whitby
Oh. I even found this website that actually lists products with Methylisothiazolinone.
/CASE REPORTS/ ... The purpose of this report was to collect clinical cases in which a single exposure had resulted in contact dermatitis suspected to be allergic. Only patients without previous relevant skin symptoms were included. ... 6 patients developed occupational allergic contact dermatitis from accidental exposure. Patch testing revealed allergy to diglycidylether of bisphenol A epoxy resin, polyfunctional aziridine hardener, methyl acrylate, phenol-formaldehyde resin, and methylchloroisothiazolinone/methylisothiazolinone (Kathon LX), respectively..."
[1]

It was Head & Shoulders shampoo. It wasn't even mine as it belonged to someone else that was spending the night over and left it in my shower, so you could say it was an accidental exposure as I don't even have a dandruff problem.

Ironically I did develop eczema [which is related to contact dermatitis] at some point after the incident but never considered the possibility that they could have been related.  

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:59 am
Sachie Whitby
Jiti
Sachie Whitby
[1]

It was Head & Shoulders shampoo. It wasn't even mine as it belonged to someone else that was spending the night over and left it in my shower, so you could say it was an accidental exposure as I don't even have a dandruff problem.

Ironically I did develop eczema [which is related to contact dermatitis] at some point after the incident but never considered the possibility that they could have been related.
[♫=♥]

That is ironic because Head and Shoulders is known to treat eczema, from what I read.
I used to use Head & Shoulders even if I do not have a dandruff problem. I just liked the smell of it. I never had any problems with Head & Shoulders before.
Was there ever a possibility that Head & Shoulders was mixed with another product?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:06 pm
Jiti
Sachie Whitby
Jiti
Sachie Whitby
[1]

[♫=♥]

That is ironic because Head and Shoulders is known to treat eczema, from what I read.
I used to use Head & Shoulders even if I do not have a dandruff problem. I just liked the smell of it. I never had any problems with Head & Shoulders before.
Was there ever a possibility that Head & Shoulders was mixed with another product?

No. I just know the person was using it for a dandruff problem. I get eczema primarily on my hands, but it will start to spread up my arms. I don't know how far it would go from there only because I do have medication for when it starts to get bad and will start using it before it gets really bad.  

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:13 pm
Sachie Whitby
Jiti
Sachie Whitby
Jiti
Sachie Whitby
[1]

[♫=♥]

No. I just know the person was using it for a dandruff problem. I get eczema primarily on my hands, but it will start to spread up my arms. I don't know how far it would go from there only because I do have medication for when it starts to get bad and will start using it before it gets really bad.
[♫=♥]

It sounds painful. sad
Which reminds me of the time when my mom talked about her allergies. She have terrible allergies and she said she used to have no allergies at all when she was younger until she applied some product for internal use even though it said for external use only, then she started to get sick and started to develop allergies.

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff