Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
My local Borders no longer has an LGBT section Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DarkestHarmony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:51 pm
I live in Maryland and today a friend discovered that there was no longer a section for LGBT books, he looked around the store and nothing. They even took Alex Sanchez's books off the shelf in young adult. He looked up 15 common titles and there were no records of them. I am highly upset.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:33 pm
O.o that figures  

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

fire_girl_1000

Durem Survivor

9,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:12 am
You should write a letter or an email explaining your problem to the mangers or whom ever makes the decisions there.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:20 am
That's kind of saddening. I wonder why that would happen? They can't have lost any significant amount of business due to it, unless the books themselves simply weren't selling at all. =/  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

Harmony8910

4,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:10 pm
I wouldn't be surprised the books didn't sell. I didn't even know Border's had a LGBT section and I go there every couple of months.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:53 pm
Wasn't Borders going through a hard time? They might be cutting down on sections that don't sell as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't sell, but I am surprised they weren't moved into another section.  

pythonesque

Kawaii Fatcat

DarkestHarmony

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:00 pm
I don't know what their problem is but removing Alex Sanchez that's a bit extreme, his books are filed under young adult. All I know is that I was extremely disappointed.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:20 am
They are a business first and foremost. Much as the books may be an inspiration or the like, they have to consider business first, especially since they fell on hard times. Promoting tolerance through literature only works if the store doesn't fail in the process.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

Alchemic_Melody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:07 pm
My local Borders closed because of their financial troubles. It wouldn't surprise me if they're removing sections that don't sell well in other stores that are still open.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:08 pm
Yeah but even if the books didnt sell well, why remove them? Because it sounds more like discrimination. Rather than non selling books.  

Seraphim of Forgiveness
Captain

Blessed Gaian

JustahBustah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:04 pm
My local Borders no longer has anything.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:43 pm
Seraphim of Forgiveness
Yeah but even if the books didnt sell well, why remove them? Because it sounds more like discrimination. Rather than non selling books.
Why should they display something that would keep them in the red rather than something that will keep them afloat? They are a business before they are a promoter of LGBT literature in specific - they have to do what they can to continue business or they'll close and that won't do any good either.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

onepromise17

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:00 pm
Borders as a business is not doing very well. In the past five years on Oahu three Borders stores have been closed down. I don't think it's discrimination, it's just very sad business move. The US economy right now is abysmal.

On the plus side whenever I research an LGBT book and can't find it at my local Borders I'll just ask one of the staff to order it for me from one of the main warehouses. .  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:21 pm
The demand for GLBT book material is also dependent on the area if its population can support purchasing such books. I am not saying that Borders should cater to every book subject, but it just makes sense to not have it when there are no customers to buy it.  

meligoth666

grandaire

Ursine Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Married 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:25 pm
I live in Ann Arbor, MI, where Borders was started.
And as it seems many of you are talking about Borders in the present tense, I just thought I would tell you guys that the headquarters closed down a couple of months ago, thus causing the franchise to go belly-up.
Just sayin' is all...

General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces